Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:13:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

For those who are using public transport for essential travel

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 13, 2020, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

What is it like near you? Are people social distancing? Are they wearing masks?

Reports of buses being rammed in London.

The government not mandating that masks should be worn on public transport doesn't help.

Quote..."It is next to impossible to social distance on the Tube," Matt Hickson told the BBC.

The 47-year-old street works inspector said he saw "less than 10% of commuters wearing masks" on his London Underground journey.

"People are taking liberties not only with their own health but with other people's.

"There could be a second wave of infections coming."

Transport for London (TfL) said passenger numbers between 05.00 and 06.00 BST were up 9% compared to the same time last week...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52645366

I know Conservatives hate public transport, is this an excuse to get more people into cars? I am concerned for the long term future of bus and train travel in the UK. I don't feel safe cycling where I am and I can't drive. At the moment I walk whenever I go to the grocery store or for exercise.

buttgammon

I worked the odd day over the last few weeks and found the commute was a mixed bag. During the nice weather last week, one tram was far too full for people to distance properly - it wasn't packed by any means but there weren't enough spaced seats; some woman sat next to me and her child was climbing all over the seats. People often remove the seat covers and sit where they like anyway.

Billy

I've had an entire London tube carriage to myself a few times. One time on the Metropolitan line there was a bloke smoking on the carriage - I sat near him and he got up and moved away.

All the advertisements on all stations are from early-mid March, meaning you're in some kind of pre-lockdown time capsule seeing all the movie releases and festivals that never happened.

Bazooka

Quote from: Billy on May 13, 2020, 11:45:59 AM
I've had an entire London tube carriage to myself a few times. One time on the Metropolitan line there was a bloke smoking on the carriage - I sat near him and he got up and moved away.

You do know you sat next to Legend Gary?

holyzombiejesus

I have to get a train to get in to Manchester to do visits fortnightly. Usually have a carriage to myself but get off half way there anyway and cycle the rest of the way. Fuck knows how we'll do social distancing when more people return though. How are you going to know if there is space? The trains are normally so rammed of a morning. I'm lucky as just spoke to my manager and she's said to whf for the foreseeable and just come in fortnightly, midday to do visits and then go straight home. (Teacher) Wife's been told she's to be back on 1/6 despite only a handful of parents stating they'll allow their children back in so she'll be on busier trains to and from here spreading whatever shit the little kids are passing on to her.

Icehaven

I'm still pissed off I didn't cancel my bus pass right at the start of this as they were saying it would only be 3 weeks. I should have used my common sense and known it'd be more like months and just done it, would have saved myself £120. I suspended it today so at least I won't lose anymore money but I can't see myself using buses regularly enough to need a pass for a long time so I may as well just cancel it.

There's some (possibly bollocks) rumour that Birmingham is one of the places they're going to trial making it legal for those electric scooters to go on the pavement, which is either ironic or entirely intentional because compared to other cities they haven't really caught on here and in normal times you barely ever saw them. Cue people moaning about them being dangerous for pedestrians, which is a fair point given how cunty so many pavement cyclists are, but used carefully it could keep a lot of people off public transport. I live about a 50 minute walk/10-20 minute (depending on traffic) bus ride from my work so I'd give a scooter a go if I had somewhere to keep it there. Wouldn't be great when it was raining though.

Rizla