Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Racists annoyed at Fred Perry on Twitter

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 13, 2020, 01:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyboro

Quote from: Prison Biscuits on May 13, 2020, 07:52:06 PM
Remember when horses were famous, like Red Rum, Desert Orchid and Shergar. You never hear about any famous horses these days. That's sad.

People like Joey Essex and Jordan have filled the gap. At least Joey's teeth acknowledge the famous horses of yore.

Jollity

I expect they were actively trying to alienate racists with this advert, so it's all going to plan.

bushwick

Yeah they were totally trying to alienate racists. Since the brand's unwanted association with Proud Boys they've made a point of using BAME models, have noticed it for a while. Some older gammons do wear it but this will put them off. Doc Martens have done similar advertising recently. I like Fred Perry stuff but could never wear one of the black polos with yellow trim anymore once the PBs claimed it. Also wouldn't wear Stone Island nowadays as too many bad assocations with that too.

there's a certain look though - paul weller/oasis hair, football terrace old school adidas, fred perry, still wearing looser jeans, coke/beer/football, men in their 40s. Not necessarily racist buts gammony/reactionary vibes to it for sure.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on May 13, 2020, 09:36:55 PM
I didn't know this but just discovered that the Proud Boys all wear them for some reason. Or did three years ago.

I've got one upstairs. Unite the right

You've got a Proud Boy upstairs? I bet you have, you dirty old bollocks.

Aaron500

Fred Perry died after a fall, according to his Wiki.

Shocking that they were still racing him, Red Rum had long retired when he carked it.

imitationleather

Hang on... So Fred Perry was a person? I thought it was just a made-up name for a product, like Levi Roots or Linda McCartney.

Neomod

Quote from: Aaron500 on May 14, 2020, 11:02:11 PM
Fred Perry died after a fall, according to his Wiki.

Shocking that they were still racing him, Red Rum had long retired when he carked it.

Little known fact Lee Mack rode Fred Perry in his youth.

flotemysost

Quote from: bushwick on May 14, 2020, 07:16:27 PM
there's a certain look though - paul weller/oasis hair, football terrace old school adidas, fred perry, still wearing looser jeans, coke/beer/football, men in their 40s. Not necessarily racist buts gammony/reactionary vibes to it for sure.

This label must be their spiritual home: https://www.prettygreen.com/ The 'Backstage News' section of the site is a tad deso.

I know exactly the type you mean though - saw a bloke on the Tube a while back with this exact look, wonky fringe, self-consciously flipping through Oasis tracks on his phone with the screen turned upwards. It's quite possible he'd had hair plugs implanted between his brows for the full effect.

I know what you mean about Doc Martens too, they've repositioned themselves as this woke millennial brand but I guess a lot of people still associate them with a different scene - the first time I got a pair of black patent 6-hole boots, my Mum (who's from an Indian family) remarked 'You look like you're off for a spot of p**i-bashing with the National Front'.

Marner and Me

PG was set up by Liam Gallagher. Tbf some of their gear looks alright. Then again if you want the actual look, you'll buy Fred Perry and Stone Island, which I think is nice clothing to wear. Lasts a long time too.

Blue Jam

To be fair I'd rather Fred Perry still had Kurtan Mucklowe modelling their clothes:

Nowhere Man

Well I for one couldn't give a shit if Bame Margera is modelling Fred Perry's these days.

bushwick

Quote from: flotemysost on May 14, 2020, 11:25:29 PM
This label must be their spiritual home: https://www.prettygreen.com/ The 'Backstage News' section of the site is a tad deso.

yes mate! completely forgot about them but they are the epitome of "lad from the long 90s".  Pretty Green clobber, only 00s bands they like are Kasabian/Arctic Monkeys maybe, Liam Gallagher Adidas Speziales, likes some old hip hop but none of that bent modern autotune stuff.

(I am shallow coz I've been in TK Maxx before, picked up a top and thought "that's alright" and then seen it's Pretty Green and thought "fuck that". Signifiers, innit. TBF I am the same with any Kanye West trainers.)

jobotic

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 14, 2020, 07:43:40 PM
You've got a Proud Boy upstairs? I bet you have, you dirty old bollocks.

Yeah. I should have buried him weeks ago, he stinks.

So can I wear my Fred Perry or not? It's a bit tight and I'm in my late forties but I think that's the look. Will I be too racist or too woke? Does it matter anyway as I can't go out?

Blue Jam

Is it nice and tight around the "guns"? It's supposed to be, go for it.

Albert Soviets

I love Fred Perry Polos but they make me look a bit *cough* chesty. :|