Author Topic: Doom Patrol season 2 (HBO Max)  (Read 432 times)

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
Doom Patrol season 2 (HBO Max)
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »
Hooray! The best TV show you haven't seen is coming to HBO Max (Time Warner's attempt to take on Disney+, and incorporating Cinemax and DC Universe, among other channels) on June 25, according to its Facebook page.

I'm astonished and delighted that this made it to a second season. Sadly no more Mr Nobody - Alan Tudyk is off on another show - but there's plenty to cover: the origin of Flex Mentallo, the regrowth (hopefully) of Danny the Street, Niles's daughter (and why Mr Nobody wanted her), hopefully some explanation of why Niles did all those immortality experiments when he hasn't aged since the late 19th century...

Who's excited?

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
Re: Doom Patrol season 2 (HBO Max)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
I am indeed, though I'm quite surprised it's returning so soon as they apparently didn't quite finish shooting before the lockdown so I'm intrigued as to how they'll wrap everything up.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »
Animation.

Or maybe there was so little left to shoot (and with no/few VFX shots) that they think they'll be able to get the ending in the can before the season ends. Assuming it's another 15 episode run, it'll wrap up on October 8.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Animation.

Funnily enough I thought of that as a possibility, it's the kind of show which could get away with it too, and perhaps even benefit from such a thing.

Or maybe there was so little left to shoot (and with no/few VFX shots) that they think they'll be able to get the ending in the can before the season ends. Assuming it's another 15 episode run, it'll wrap up on October 8.

That's also definitely possible too, I've just seen on the BBC site that Eastenders is to resume filming next month and I doubt the US will be too far behind. Either way it's great that it's returning, and I hope it being on HBO Max as well means a larger audience see it.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 03:19:19 PM »
There's another show in the States going down the animation route. The Blacklist with James Spader had a partially finished episode so they're wrapping up the rest of it with animation.

Glad to see the return of the Doom Patrol. Best and most original of all the superhero shows on these days. Hopefully it can be at least as bonkers as the first season or, with luck, more so.

sirhenry

• That worked out well...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »
Excellent news!
I wonder if Negative Man will develop as he/they did in the comic. It would surprise me if it didn't happen, but I suspect that for TV it would be given a point.
And the idea of finishing it off in animation would be wonderful. If only...

I'm still really, really hoping that they do a Flex Mentallo origin montage over the Bonzos' Mr. Apollo. They were made for each other.

Sorry to see Alan Tudyk go; the show needs a similarly over-the-top villain to hold it together while the team continues to fail to gel.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
Excellent news!
I wonder if Negative Man will develop as he/they did in the comic. It would surprise me if it didn't happen, but I suspect that for TV it would be given a point.
And the idea of finishing it off in animation would be wonderful. If only...

I could only see that happening if Bomer leaves, and even then it seems unlikely, since Rebis is basically a completely different character to Larry - and so (deliberately) alien, unsettling and distant that it would likely piss off a lot of fans.

The negative spirit leaving Larry (who is either healed or dies) and combining two other characters, maybe...

I'm still really, really hoping that they do a Flex Mentallo origin montage over the Bonzos' Mr. Apollo. They were made for each other.

I agree, but I'd be astonished if the showrunners were familiar with the Bonzos!

Personally, I'd like to see a few more actual superheroics this time around. Not overwhelmingly so, but I really enjoyed the Decreator story in season one, and would have liked something a bit lightweight and knockabout towards the end of the first season, when it was becoming increasingly character-focused and serialised. Just something that's a bit light, as a sorbet, before things get heavy again.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 06:54:21 PM »
Doom Patrol season one now up on Max. If you know anyone who has HBO and might be interested, please spread the word!

In the meantime, I'm running through the episodes on my phone in the background while I work, to burn off some karma for, er, "acquiring" them previously.

Tags: