Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The next generation of console games

Started by QDRPHNC, May 13, 2020, 08:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Just imagine how the FF7 Remake Part Two is gonna look like if they can improve the textures on the new consoles. The game is one of the most beautiful games on the PS4 but that would bring it into even new territory.

Or if they manage to put as much details in the NPC's as the important characters in most games.

Although I can't see graphics much improving either.
I hope loading times, pop up, etc are going to be improved on the new consoles.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Timothy on May 17, 2020, 05:11:40 PM
Or if they manage to put as much details in the NPC's as the important characters in most games.

If Final Fantasy Remake Part 2 comes out for the PS5, then maybe the NPCs will no longer look like PS2 era characters, but PS3 era characters instead.

Thursday

What annoyed me more about FF7R than the textures was the constant fencing you into small areas to hide loading times "Oh I've got to squeeze between another wall because I've walked forward another 20 metres have I?" I'm guessing they'll focus on the textures instead though.

Abnormal Palm

I assumed all that was some kind of analogy for getting up in Tifa's bidness.

madhair60

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 17, 2020, 06:06:07 PM
If Final Fantasy Remake Part 2 comes out for the PS5, then maybe the NPCs will no longer look like PS2 era characters, but PS3 era characters instead.

What? Have you been watching it in 240p or something?

Timothy

The textures, some of the environments and some of the NPC's did look very last gen (as in PS3 / Xbox 360 era).

That said I still think it was one of the best looking PS4 games in history.

Quote from: Thursday on May 17, 2020, 06:17:47 PM
What annoyed me more about FF7R than the textures was the constant fencing you into small areas to hide loading times "Oh I've got to squeeze between another wall because I've walked forward another 20 metres have I?" I'm guessing they'll focus on the textures instead though.

Yeah, agreed. I hope loading times, pop up and textures are going to be improved on PS5 and the new Xbox.

Bazooka

I hope next gen technology enables readable text in games from more than 2ft away, I have impecccable hawk eye vision yet all the text in current gen is bullshit, unless you are right next to the screen it's size 1.5, I know it's resolution, or at least add text size options.

Junglist

Ray tracing is definitely going to be the next gen's big thing. I went ballistic on a PC build and have been enjoying it in its full glory, its a beautiful thing.

I always imagined that the games - and I'm particularly thinking of sandbox ones here - would get bigger (as in a larger playing field) generation to generation.  That a new GTA (as an example) would start featuring full-size cities and much larger 'states', or even all buildings being accessible rather than hi-res cardboard cut-outs.  Instead, they often feel smaller than their predecessors (whether they are or not).

Honestly, I'd happily take a generation or two back graphically for a more immersive environment.

Ferris

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on May 23, 2020, 03:04:26 PM
I always imagined that the games - and I%u2019m particularly thinking of sandbox ones here - would get bigger (as in a larger playing field) generation to generation.  That a new GTA (as an example) would start featuring full-size cities and much larger %u2018states%u2019, or even all buildings being accessible rather than hi-res cardboard cut-outs.  Instead, they often feel smaller than their predecessors (whether they are or not).

Honestly, I%u2019d happily take a generation or two back graphically for a more immersive environment.

I agree with this. I remember clambering on buildings and stuff on GTA5 and going %u201Cooh what%u2019s in here?%u201D only to find it was some shit %u201890s grey texture polygon/wall that you can%u2019t interact with and it looks shit and sorry fuck you, and it breaks the illusion. It happens pretty often in the game if you venture away from the main thoroughfares to explore the city.

It feels like a soundstage at times, and it is all too easy to poke your head around the side and see the limitations. Makes it all feel smaller, to me anyway.

This sounds incredibly ungrateful. Sorry.

QDRPHNC

To be fair, GTA5 was made for PS3 generation. The RDR2 world was staggering. I mean, compares the mountains in that with the mountains in GTA5. You can't, because there is no comparison. St. Denis at night in a rainstorm? Fucking forget about it.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on May 23, 2020, 03:27:53 PM
To be fair, GTA5 was made for PS3 generation. The RDR2 world was staggering. I mean, compares the mountains in that with the mountains in GTA5. You can't, because there is no comparison. St. Denis at night in a rainstorm? Fucking forget about it.

I know, but I'm going to complain about that as well. Here we go!

It's too big, and I don't have the time to explore it properly and that makes me angry.

So Rockstar, basically what I want is a game that's massive and immersive and cleverly designed, but if you actually give me that then that's far too much and you need to scale it back.

Ok cheers

QDRPHNC

Mister Six

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 23, 2020, 03:17:00 PM
I agree with this. I remember clambering on buildings and stuff on GTA5 and going %u201Cooh what%u2019s in here?%u201D only to find it was some shit %u201890s grey texture polygon/wall that you can%u2019t interact with and it looks shit and sorry fuck you, and it breaks the illusion. It happens pretty often in the game if you venture away from the main thoroughfares to explore the city.

It feels like a soundstage at times, and it is all too easy to poke your head around the side and see the limitations. Makes it all feel smaller, to me anyway.

This sounds incredibly ungrateful. Sorry.

The thing about that is that you still need human beings to actually make this shit. The staff for GTA V was something like a thousand people. How many more would it take to kit out incidental buildings with interiors without resorting to cheats like San Andreas's burglary missions taking place in one of five identical homes that the player is teleported into? Or procedurally generated interiors that will inevitably all look mad and illogical and/or be composed of boring replicated pre-rendered components that destroy the illusion almost immediately?

And even if you, say, pre-generate procedural interiors and have humans go through and make them unique/logical, that's not really shaving any time off development, is it?

And to what end, really? Once the excitement wears off (as it will, quickly) the result is even more gameplay-free real estate. A more detailed backdrop to nothing.

I'd rather Rockstar focused their energies on creating fun and engaging gameplay mechanics, and building the graphics around that. Instead we keep getting elaborate backdrops that pretty up frustrating, archaic and ultimately boring games.

QDRPHNC

I don't think we're too far off having AI able to generate environments (or at least large portions of them) with minimal oversight.

But I take your point, although personally I'm a fan of just exploring worlds without too much "game" getting in the way.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Mister Six on May 23, 2020, 03:52:12 PM
The thing about that is that you still need human beings to actually make this shit. The staff for GTA V was something like a thousand people. How many more would it take to kit out incidental buildings with interiors without resorting to cheats like San Andreas's burglary missions taking place in one of five identical homes that the player is teleported into? Or procedurally generated interiors that will inevitably all look mad and illogical and/or be composed of boring replicated pre-rendered components that destroy the illusion almost immediately?

And even if you, say, pre-generate procedural interiors and have humans go through and make them unique/logical, that's not really shaving any time off development, is it?

And to what end, really? Once the excitement wears off (as it will, quickly) the result is even more gameplay-free real estate. A more detailed backdrop to nothing.

I'd rather Rockstar focused their energies on creating fun and engaging gameplay mechanics, and building the graphics around that. Instead we keep getting elaborate backdrops that pretty up frustrating, archaic and ultimately boring games.

Glad you said it so I didn't have to.  Ta.

Abnormal Palm

I don't see the problem with getting a load of third world code drones banging out assets for the latest and greatest AAA open world for me to sprint past. It's either that, 411 or eating a massive bowl of dogshit. Hop to it.

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on May 23, 2020, 03:52:12 PM

I sort of agree in that dev time should be spent on fun mechanics/story/game play rather than random buildings for the sake of it, but I also acknowledged earlier that what I want is some nebulous, impossible balance and I will never be satisfied because I'm a quixotic misery guts on this particular topic for some reason. I blame the 5G.

Replies From View

far as I'm concerned computer games aren't going to ever top this for graphix:

ecco's face is a miracle of pixel sculption

Bazooka

Quote from: Replies From View on May 24, 2020, 06:38:29 PM
far as I'm concerned computer games aren't going to ever top this for graphix:

ecco's face is a miracle of pixel sculption

Sir this is not the photography thread.

thugler

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 17, 2020, 04:46:17 PM
Not sure if serious.

Eventually graphics will be indistinguishable from real life footage.  It's not a case of if, but of when.

Really? isn't the amount of resources required to produce these graphics going to go up and up? I very much doubt anything close to 'indistinguishable from real life footage' is going to happen any time soon.

They've not even managed it in films yet..

Have pretty much stopped playing games entirely now, what strikes me every time I do is how little has changed in terms of gameplay. It all feels very familiar despite the new coats of paint.

Jim Bob

Quote from: thugler on May 26, 2020, 03:56:33 PM
Really? isn't the amount of resources required to produce these graphics going to go up and up? I very much doubt anything close to 'indistinguishable from real life footage' is going to happen any time soon.

They've not even managed it in films yet..

I never said it would happen anytime soon, just that it was an inevitability.  Fuck knows if it will be within our lifetimes or not.  It's worth nothing though, that the general rule of thumb is that pre-rendered film CGI is around 15-25 years ahead of cutting edge consumer level real-time rendering.  So in around 10-15 years time, it's perfectly feasible that AAA gameplay graphics will be on the same technical level as James Cameron's Avatar, for example.  The story will probably be just as generic and perfunctory, mind.

Mister Six

They already look better than the CGI in Black Panther's climactic battle scenes. Actually, so did the PS3.