Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buzzfeed UK and Australia news operations to close

Started by Fambo Number Mive, May 13, 2020, 10:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

This is a shame, Buzzfeed has broken some important UK news stories, I know a lot of the site is bizarre quizzes and clickbait but that is what gives the site the money to research and break UK news stories.

I expect the UK establishment is very happy about this. No idea how good Buzzfeed Australia is in terms of breaking important news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52650038

Dewt

It's fucking great news. Clickbait merchants have no place in reporting. The idea that Buzzfeed isn't part of the establishment is ridiculous.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Marner and Me on May 13, 2020, 11:12:43 PM
Clickbait shite. Can Vice go next.

Vice are worse in some ways, position themselves as some woke anti-establishment news and opinion place but also have lots of hands in property, establishment media and do big deals with tobacco companies to promote things like juul.

touchingcloth

Oh no, who will take their place and produce lists of the 45 weird reasons these UK grans have been inserting your stapler up your arse incorrectly?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 13, 2020, 11:59:34 PM
Oh no, who will take their place and produce lists of the 45 weird reasons these UK grans have been inserting your stapler up your arse incorrectly?

unilad?

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 13, 2020, 11:55:11 PM
Vice are worse in some ways, position themselves as some woke anti-establishment news and opinion place but also have lots of hands in property, establishment media and do big deals with tobacco companies to promote things like juul.
Steal My Sunshine undercutting Vice's coolness pleases me a lot.

Also Steal My Sunshine pleases me a lot. Girl verse only.

jobotic

What about little Alex Wickham? What will become of him? One of the most talented journalists of his generation according to none other than Tim Shipman. As are all ex-Guido Fawkes staff.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 14, 2020, 12:03:23 AM

I like Steal My Sunshine but you've lost me on what it has to do with Vice?

chveik

Dewt

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 14, 2020, 12:08:30 AM
I like Steal My Sunshine but you've lost me on what it has to do with Vice?
The logo is all over the video, undercutting their coolness by being in a bubblegum pop song now considered a joke by most.

The confusion might be from me positioning this as somebody important, as opposed to some random bullshit thought that popped into my head.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think you just like the girlie in the video.

Dewt

I do, I'm a sucker for those cute vocals.

Well done, Girlie. *head pats*

Sebastian Cobb

I flicked through it but didn't pay enough attention to their scooters.

Dewt

I'll make a note of that.

Doesn't pay enough attention to scooters.

Quote from: Dewt on May 14, 2020, 12:10:57 AM
A bubblegum pop song now considered a joke by most.

That's a shame, it's great.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 13, 2020, 11:59:34 PM

I imagine the clickbait will still carry on as that can be done from any part of the world.

You can read some of the stories Buzzfeed Uk broke here:

These Volunteers Say They Are Ready To Deliver Crucial Equipment — But The UK Government Hasn't Used Them: https://www.buzzfeed.com/richholmes/coronavirus-uk-volunteers-equipment-delay

Hundreds Of Child Trafficking Victims Have Been Refused The Right To Stay In The UK: https://www.buzzfeed.com/janebradley/child-trafficking-victims-refused-uk

The Home Office Pulled Funding For A Charity Helping People It Deported To Jamaica, Days Before Announcing Windrush Compensation: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilydugan/home-office-nodm-jamaica-funding

Marner and Me

Quote from: Dewt on May 14, 2020, 12:03:23 AM

A fantastic song, originally for the vid they wanted Harley Davidsons, but either budget or rental company wouldn't let them have them. So the have the orange mopeds instead. Is it weird to have a thing for the girl in the vid?

ZoyzaSorris

Seem to remember buzzfeed being a solid part of the overall establishment media anti-Corbyn nexus so not going to shed too many tears.

Zetetic

US BuzzFeed was the only outlet to seriously go after UHS. (Most other serious reporting was financially-focused, on whether they were going to end up being fined or not.)

(N.B. Your usual broken-record reminder that UHS operate mental health and learning disabilities hospitals in the UK, primarily containing detained NHS-funded patients, under the Cygnet brand. These have seen their own share of scandals in recent years, insofar as you can call something that produces no congruent change a 'scandal'.)

Buelligan

Quote from: jobotic on May 14, 2020, 12:07:00 AM
What about little Alex Wickham? What will become of him? One of the most talented journalists of his generation according to none other than Tim Shipman. As are all ex-Guido Fawkes staff.

Unpleasant little creep.  I hope they sell him off to Toby Young.

dissolute ocelot

I'm not a particularly regular reader, but it's ridiculous to say they're more clickbaity than most British newspapers. Mail Online is king of clickbait, but even the Telegraph and Guardian have lots of pointless listicles and controversially-headlined nonsense.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've just found out that the guy in the white vest and the girl from the Len video are brother and sister.

steveh

Buzzfeed - like many other media organisations - also has separate teams for the clickbait celebrity and listicles stuff which pays the bills and then the journalists doing news and investigations which gets the acclaim and wins the prizes.

Some of the UK investigations, like the Lycamobile money laundering and Russian murders in the UK, have been the kind of thing you've only otherwise found in Private Eye.