Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Magical Realist Endings

Started by Sin Agog, May 13, 2020, 11:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marner and Me

The Worlds End.

New page bastard, do I hang myself?

dissolute ocelot

I'm more of a fan of things where the main character is randomly murdered/killed at the end with no connection to the plot. The various adaptations of Wedekind's Lulu are perhaps the best known, but I'm sure there's a serial killer film where the killer is killed entirely randomly at the end, and some arthouse movie where everybody gets on a plane which then explodes.

Does the unconvincingly animated bird at the end of Blue Velvet count as magical realism?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Marner and Me on May 16, 2020, 01:29:32 AM
The Worlds End.
I'm not sure that counts. The sci-fi shananigans take up most of the film.

Mister Six

And even if it wasn't, it's not magic realism when the mechanics for the fantasy elements are explained within the plot, is it? Isn't the idea that the magical elements are treated as unremarkable despite an otherwise largely realistic environment?

I've never read any Murukami, but I gather that's one of his things; having cats talk because cats happen to talk in his books, and everyone treating it as just one of those things that happen.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on May 18, 2020, 12:06:11 PM
I'm more of a fan of things where the main character is randomly murdered/killed at the end with no connection to the plot.

Are you a big fan of David Essex's " Silver Dream Racer" ?

Blumf

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 18, 2020, 05:15:44 PM
Are you a big fan of David Essex's " Silver Dream Racer" ?

That does relate to the story though. Earlier on he's getting the engine milled down to lower weight, and somebody warns him that it'll weaken the casing.

Replies From View

The very end of The Crying Game where the whole city turns out to be in the shape of a giant cock.