Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:40:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Books

Started by madhair60, May 15, 2020, 11:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 15, 2020, 04:54:29 PM
Sorry, I couldn't understand you because of your mincing lisp.

Mincing?!

Dewt

Fran is an underrated character even if all of her plots are about women stuff (dating, tidying up). I randomly watched a bit of Black Books right now and it was the scene where she has a date with a gay guy and it was actually quite similar to real dates I've been on (except that I am not in the closet, I think women are very sexy actually), with her being shamelessly sexually aggressive ("I get undressed slowly") and me just being generally too tired for it all.

"My coordinates are... bookshop!"

Pink Gregory

Quote from: buttgammon on May 15, 2020, 05:52:50 PM
Every time I'm boiling an egg, I think about the bit where Bernard slags Manny off for arranging his toast soldiers in rank order.

Don't eat the Captain!

...it'll upset the rest of the men.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Dewt on May 15, 2020, 06:12:47 PM
Fran is an underrated character even if all of her plots are about women stuff (dating, tidying up).

Only used to watch it for her, to be honest.

Clownbaby

I think it's alright but I never liked Tamsin Greig in it and I can't put my finger on why

Dewt

Quote from: Clownbaby on May 15, 2020, 06:55:26 PM
I think it's alright but I never liked Tamsin Greig in it because I don't like her hair
CLOWNBABY!!!! Goodness.

C_Larence

never seen it, probably never will, but i am laughing imagining a ventriloquist trying to talk about it in their act and getting cancelled for being racist.

markburgle

I don't like the codependency that happens between them all in S3. S1 had surreal moments but they seemed (Manny and Fran at least) to be sort of realistic characters with lives of their own.

By S3 all they seemed to have was one another and they're sick of each other, so it comes off like a dramatisation of the general staleness of the show.

Cold Meat Platter

I like this exchange:

Manny:
You think I should wash my beard?

Bernard:
Yes, I think you should wash it. Then you should shave it off, nail it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.

PlasticTom

First series was amazing. Big drop-off once linehan left, the plots felt a bit looser, less like a finely honed joke machine.

The Frankenstein bit in the expensive bottle of wine episode is so good. Nice payoff too - oh my god!, *holds up paper with dead pope*, It's my birthday!, *toast falls on head*

Lovely Kevin eldon episode too. "Dirty! Whatever am I going to do with you?"

up_the_hampipe

I liked this show a lot. Why didn't Dylan Moran do much or anything on TV after that?

Alberon

I thought it tailed off a bit in the third series, but it was still a great little show.

As to new TV work from Dylan Moran - from Wiki back in June 2019

QuoteMoran reported he was developing a "small format" (five episodes) show for the BBC

Noodle Lizard

Wasn't Moran's pilot for Black Books significantly bleaker (involving one or both of them deciding to commit suicide) before Linehan came in? I expect anything he does of his own accord would probably be pretty different tonally, possibly even grimdark!

Jerzy Bondov

Peter Serafinowicz practicing his lines in the mirror:

(Reading) I will do so immediately sir
(To the mirror) I will do so immediately...

(Checks page) Sir

magval

The episode in series 2 where Manny and Bernard have to see therapists also has a genuinely nasty moment, when Bernard says to him "you like the look of yourself in that."

checkoutgirl

The bit where the actor Kevin Eldon runs his white glove through thin air and picks up a load of dust.

The bit where Bernard somehow makes some soup into a tower.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Dewt on May 15, 2020, 06:12:47 PM
Fran is an underrated character even if all of her plots are about women stuff (dating, tidying up). I randomly watched a bit of Black Books right now and it was the scene where she has a date with a gay guy and it was actually quite similar to real dates I've been on (except that I am not in the closet, I think women are very sexy actually), with her being shamelessly sexually aggressive ("I get undressed slowly") and me just being generally too tired for it all.

What have all these people got in common? Elton John, Ian McKellen and Jean Paul Gautier?

Well, they're all fabulous!

machotrouts

I definitely remember liking series 1 more than 2 and 3 so that's annoying. I could swear it got sillier after Linehan left? I remember noticing series 2 had an increase of slightly shoehorned-feeling physical comedy, lots of little bits where I thought "well that must just be there to put in the wacky trailer montage". I can't have seen this since my teens so I might just be talking out of my hot teen dick.

Dylan Moran as Bernard Black probably my favourite sitcom performance of all time. Fully confident I remember that right.

Quote from: Cuellar on May 15, 2020, 01:53:48 PM
Her saying in a chipper up beat way that quickly fades 'OH Would you just look at these...breasts'

I think of this line and delivery constantly. Everyone is great in this show! Even the Graham Linehan "I'd like to buy a BOOK, please!" cameo is funny.

checkoutgirl

I think it got more emotional and less jokey after Linehan left. Less focused and more baggy and aimless. The first series always had a destination with quality jokes and beats at regular intervals.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: checkoutgirl on May 15, 2020, 10:10:44 PM
The bit where the actor Kevin Eldon runs his white glove through thin air and picks up a load of dust.

The bit where Bernard somehow makes some soup into a tower.
No, Manny made the soup into the tower. But where were the turrets!? RUBBISH!

Captain Z

I am sure I rewatched it as recently as 3 years ago, but very little of it rings a bell reading through this thread. As posted upthread, series 1 is on Channel 4 in a few minutes so I'm going to watch again.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Jake Thingray on May 15, 2020, 06:52:40 PM
Only used to watch it for her, to be honest.

GIF/ Larry David Fainting /GIF

jobotic

I know this is weak but..fucking laughter track. Why is it so loud?

Two Headed Sex Beast

I used to think I preferred series 1, but after rewatching over the years I'm no longer sure why I thought that. 2 & 3 really feel like the same standard to me, and as someone mentioned are even sillier than I remembered. A few bleaker moments, and the co-dependency of the three lead characters is more of a theme, but I think that adds something interesting. And it's only there for fleeting moments before the jokes crash back in.

I think it has more rewatch value to me than many sitcoms, and certain phrases have become part of my vocabulary. It's impossible to put jam on toast without saying "jam jam jam... eugh" or open a bottle of wine without thinking "old wine, is good wine".
I'm going to have to watch it again this weekend, aren't I?

alan nagsworth

Quote from: PlasticTom on May 15, 2020, 08:31:31 PM
Lovely Kevin eldon episode too. "Dirty! Whatever am I going to do with you?"

"Cobwebs, with a number of deceased arachnids ... and beans."

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on May 16, 2020, 01:21:10 PM
"Cobwebs, with a number of deceased arachnids ... and beans."
"The state of the bathroom is... *inhale* shameful..."

Blue Jam

"Climb aboard Cap-Captain!"

Blue Jam

I will do so