Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,309
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:22:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bandersnatch-style interactive Kimmy Schmidt episode

Started by ajsmith2, May 15, 2020, 02:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

https://youtu.be/LZWmRUxOj9g

Apparently available now. Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but couldn't see a thread on it. Not seen it yet but will try and check it out tonight.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched it earlier on in the week and enjoyed it, I feel they could have made better use of the interactive elements (if only because they do towards the end) but as an episode of the show I thought it was a strong one which made me laugh a lot.

selectivememory

Oh god, I forgot they were doing this. Great trailer. I'll have to check it out soon.

I just adore Titus. One of the best sitcom characters and performances ever.

neveragain

I played on it for about twenty minutes earlier (I'm just at Kimmy meeting the Reverend again) but got bored as the choices weren't very engrossing... and generally girly, though that could of course be a joke. It is still fulla gags. Will give it another ago on SMBH's recommendation.

Noodle Lizard

I thought this was gash tbh. Maybe I didn't make some of the "best" choices, or maybe rewatching a lot of 30 Rock recently made it pale in comparison, but overall I think I laughed maybe three times. The choices were often annoying more than anything else - especially since it seems a lot more "on rails" overall than Bandersnatch for instance. I'd like to know if there are any particularly good tangents I may have missed, but unless they did a hell of a lot of shooting, it doesn't seem like any choices really change the story until towards the very end, so it feels more like a choice of "which version of this scene do you want to see?"

Bad Ambassador

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 17, 2020, 09:15:03 AM
I thought this was gash tbh. Maybe I didn't make some of the "best" choices, or maybe rewatching a lot of 30 Rock recently made it pale in comparison, but overall I think I laughed maybe three times. The choices were often annoying more than anything else - especially since it seems a lot more "on rails" overall than Bandersnatch for instance. I'd like to know if there are any particularly good tangents I may have missed, but unless they did a hell of a lot of shooting, it doesn't seem like any choices really change the story until towards the very end, so it feels more like a choice of "which version of this scene do you want to see?"

That was my main issue with it, but fortunately I really liked it as an episode of the show and it did make me laugh a lot.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 17, 2020, 10:44:17 AM
There's a robot apocalypse ending.

That was definitely one of the more unusual moments that I wish there'd been more of - though if you choose
Spoiler alert
to kill the Reverend in all three ways back to back
[close]
there's a nicely mad scene.

ajsmith2

In the version we finished Kimmy gets her personal happy ending but toxic men have overturned the MeToo movement entirely culminating in a fairly unpleasant mass groping scene. I assume from the message we got at the end there's a more 'complete' happy ending to be achieved that's in tune with the shows values, but just a heads up for any MRA Kimmy Schmidt fans reading who want their preferred ending; it can be done. We also missed on meeting Amy Sedaris entirely.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 17, 2020, 12:53:45 PM
In the version we finished Kimmy gets her personal happy ending but toxic men have overturned the MeToo movement entirely culminating in a quite upsetting mass groping scene. I assume there's a more 'complete' happy ending to be achieved that's in tune with the shows values. Also missed on meeting Amy Sedaris entirely.

Got the same one. Also had a restart when I got Kimmy and Titus shot (to death?) at the karaoke night. Oops.

Yeah that mass groping section was a bit startling wasn't it? I suppose that was the point but it did jar with the rest of the tone. Can only presume I fucked up when they offered "overturn the MeToo movement" and I clicked yes.

Small Man Big Horse

In the version we finished Kimmy gets her personal happy ending but toxic men have overturned the MeToo movement entirely culminating in a fairly unpleasant mass groping scene. I assume from the message we got at the end there's a more 'complete' happy ending to be achieved that's in tune with the shows values, but just a heads up for any MRA Kimmy Schmidt fans reading who want their preferred ending; it can be done. We also missed on meeting Amy Sedaris entirely.

That's the ending I got originally too but towards the end
Spoiler alert
if as Titus you choose to follow Kimmy rather than devour the imaginary food, Titus stumbles on to set just in time and so
[close]
it prevents the other ending from taking place.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 17, 2020, 12:20:30 PM
That was definitely one of the more unusual moments that I wish there'd been more of - though if you choose
Spoiler alert
to kill the Reverend in all three ways back to back
[close]
there's a nicely mad scene.

Spoiler alert
I misunderstood the options for that. I assumed that "stomp him" meant "kick him a few times in the tummy" rather than "jump up and down on his neck". Once I got the bad ending and the option of a do-over, I decided "In for a Penny!" and did the other two, though I had to go back through the decision tree to watch the third bad ending with clone Kimmy, since it went straight to the Reverend in Hell.
[close]

There's also a "deleted scenes" package to be found...
Spoiler alert
Fun Dress, Go to Gym, Plan Wedding, Call Donna Maria, Call Donna Maria, Press 3, Keep Listening, Press 3.
[close]

Less of a spoiler, but if you click Skip Intro, the guy from the titles comes out and tells you off, then the extended version of the theme and titles play.

neveragain

I've went through it about three times now and thoroughly enjoyed playing; may well rewatch the whole series off the back of it. Such a joyous show bubbling with great lines and invention.

One thing, since I can't quite be bothered to go through again, could anyone tell me what happens if you choose Physical Violence against the Wardrobe lady?

Bad Ambassador

Jacqueline beats up the trailer and pretends Titus is attacking her. Same outcome.

neveragain

Mister Six

Haha, what? We got a happy wedding ending. I figured there was only one actual ending, because every other time I made a wrong choice it looped back.

Anyway, Mrs Six and I got a bit bored of Kimmy Schmidt and dropped out mid season 3, but we were very pleased with this - plenty of solid laughs, and while the interactive element was more restrictive than Bandersnatch's, it also felt weirdly more honest and successful, since it was basically just there to cram in more jokes, and there wasn't a failed attempt to make some kind of meta-commentary about free will or choice or whatever it was Brooker was going for.

Pseudopath

Really enjoyed this. Just great being back in that world again. Felt like visiting old relatives.

Egyptian Feast

I really enjoyed this, though I got so into making the wrong choices I'd get mildly annoyed when my decision moved the plot on. I ended up with the MeToo movement being overturned, so I'll have to watch it again while I still remember the choices. How does one go about getting the robot apocalypse ending?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 24, 2020, 12:50:06 AM
I really enjoyed this, though I got so into making the wrong choices I'd get mildly annoyed when my decision moved the plot on. I ended up with the MeToo movement being overturned, so I'll have to watch it again while I still remember the choices. How does one go about getting the robot apocalypse ending?

When you first arrive in town with Titus, refuse to get the uber and wait (iirc, I'm rather drunk and may not be completely trustworthy).

Pseudopath

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 24, 2020, 12:51:17 AM
When you first arrive in town with Titus, refuse to get the uber and wait (iirc, I'm rather drunk and may not be completely trustworthy).

Almost. You have to wait for the Uber twice.

Egyptian Feast

Aha! That was one of the times I was wondering what would happen if I kept selecting the same wrong answer.

Did anybody else listen to the full 12 days of Christmas song? I'm still chuckling thinking about the look on her face as it went on and on.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 24, 2020, 01:56:22 PM
Did anybody else listen to the full 12 days of Christmas song? I'm still chuckling thinking about the look on her face as it went on and on.

Yes - I watched it last night as part of the path to the gag reel. Absolutely ridiculous. Great performance from Ellie Kemper.