Author Topic: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)  (Read 731 times)

Malcy

• This is a Post Office isn't it?
    • Twitter
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)
« on: May 15, 2020, 04:22:28 PM »
Pike series confirmed by CBS. Unfortunately the behind the scenes people are the same useless incompetent idiots involved in recent Trek.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1135207-cbs-all-access-orders-captain-pike-star-trek-spinoff-series

Rumour is Uhura will be a crew member. Apparently the Section 31 show is on hold for now.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
Re: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
Pike was the standout of Discovery season 2. If only because he was an engaging positive character unlike most of the miserable bastards that make up the regulars even with the pricks running the show. This new show needs to be slightly more episodic. There will be a season arc, of course, there always will be, but they need to have actual fucking adventures week to week.

Glad the section 31 show has been put back. Just not interested in it. Maybe they announced it before sitting down and trying to make it work.

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 04:34:54 PM »
Hopefully with his own series, they'll let Pike actually be Christopher Pike, Legendarily Excellent Starfleet Captain, rather than a bloke who sits in the command chair ineffectually deferring to Saru, Burnham or some nebulous concept of fate and not doing a whole lot of captaining, whilst everyone says he's great. Talk about failing the 'showing not telling' test.

Anson Mount still acted the part well though.

The S31 show should stay on hold for at least 10,000 years.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 04:43:21 PM »
Pike definitely was the only good thing about Discovery over the two series.

Bonus points to this show if they actually visit strange new worlds. There's only been about 6 in total over nearly 40 episodes of new Trek.

Jim Bob

• (aka Right Said Brett)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:24:41 PM »
So it's come to this?  A Star Trek crossover series with Dad's Army.  They really are desperate, aren't they?

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 07:33:44 PM »
Well no, they just saw a load of people fanboying out over one of only 2 people in Disco remotely fit to be a senior officer and decided to cash in on it.

Alberon

• His heart is an empty fridge
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 08:46:09 PM »
Pike definitely was the only good thing about Discovery over the two series.

Bonus points to this show if they actually visit strange new worlds. There's only been about 6 in total over nearly 40 episodes of new Trek.

The title gives me a little hope, but I'm sure the producers will crush it.

So it's come to this?  A Star Trek crossover series with Dad's Army.  They really are desperate, aren't they?

New concept art

NOT my work, I hasten to add.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 08:47:30 PM »
They'll say it will be different. They'll say it will be optimistic and different. They are liars.

It'll be serialised shite.

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 08:53:57 PM »
They'll say it will be different. They'll say it will be optimistic and different. They are liars.

It'll be serialised shite.

And yet Trek fans like myself will still watch desperate with hope that it won't be. And then have people like Chabon & even Frakes tell us we are in the wrong for not liking it while they bleat on about how wonderfully written and produced it all is.

Would have been happy for Trek to end with Enterprise. Yes even with the disappointing finale.

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 09:30:21 PM »
Would have been happy for Trek to end with Enterprise. Yes even with the disappointing finale.

You can easily ignore These Are The Voyages as it takes place in the middle of a TNG episode. Demons/Terra Prime is a very fitting finale for all of Trek though as it embodies the progressive message very well.

Dex Sawash

• Silver Member
  • Upph√§ngningspunkterna
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 12:59:20 AM »

Am I excited about this?

Malcy

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 01:33:22 AM »
Am I excited about this?

I dont like the fact that Pike now knows his destiny. Especially the fucking ridiculous one DSC gave him.

Lemming

• Short-Burst Underwater Crying
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 02:44:59 PM »
Got excited as soon as I saw the announcement but I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs at this point, salivating like a brainwashed idiot only to end up with a huge plateful of shit.

They're pushing the "optimistic and episodic" soundbite already. Obviously that's exactly what many of us want, but you just know that if anyone can fuck it up, it's Goldsaman, Kurtzman et al.

Wonderful Butternut

• Summer Night City!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 06:30:45 PM »
What evil artificial intelligence will Pike fight?

How many more ugly starship designs will be pulled out of someone's hole?

How much Section 31 wank will there be?

Will they dig up James Doohan and Leonard Nimoy's bodies to piss on them, or will they simply settle for burning the original masters of TOS?

So many questions.

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 08:19:32 AM »
I'm out.

I know it's tempting and that the title of the show gives us hope and that Pike was the only thing standable about Discovery, but they're lying. They lied about Picard being character-driven and capable of delivering where Discovery so bizarrely failed. And I know it was a different production, but they lied about Cumberbatch being Kahn when we all called it from the teasers immediately. It's just what they do now: they want Trekkies to help create buzz but they're not interested in delivering the kind of product Trekkies might actually want to see. They're just ransacking and shitting on a legacy by way of frigging their own sense of self-worth.

It will be another steaming hot plate of "dogshit for simpletons" (as someone here correctly described Picard) because (a) they are embarrassed by Star Trek and (b) they don't even know how to make something that isn't dogshit for simpletons.

Tags: