Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike Series)

Started by Malcy, May 15, 2020, 04:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Pike series confirmed by CBS. Unfortunately the behind the scenes people are the same useless incompetent idiots involved in recent Trek.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1135207-cbs-all-access-orders-captain-pike-star-trek-spinoff-series

Rumour is Uhura will be a crew member. Apparently the Section 31 show is on hold for now.

Alberon

Pike was the standout of Discovery season 2. If only because he was an engaging positive character unlike most of the miserable bastards that make up the regulars even with the pricks running the show. This new show needs to be slightly more episodic. There will be a season arc, of course, there always will be, but they need to have actual fucking adventures week to week.

Glad the section 31 show has been put back. Just not interested in it. Maybe they announced it before sitting down and trying to make it work.

Wonderful Butternut

Hopefully with his own series, they'll let Pike actually be Christopher Pike, Legendarily Excellent Starfleet Captain, rather than a bloke who sits in the command chair ineffectually deferring to Saru, Burnham or some nebulous concept of fate and not doing a whole lot of captaining, whilst everyone says he's great. Talk about failing the 'showing not telling' test.

Anson Mount still acted the part well though.

The S31 show should stay on hold for at least 10,000 years.

Malcy

Pike definitely was the only good thing about Discovery over the two series.

Bonus points to this show if they actually visit strange new worlds. There's only been about 6 in total over nearly 40 episodes of new Trek.

Jim Bob

So it's come to this?  A Star Trek crossover series with Dad's Army.  They really are desperate, aren't they?

Wonderful Butternut

Well no, they just saw a load of people fanboying out over one of only 2 people in Disco remotely fit to be a senior officer and decided to cash in on it.

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on May 15, 2020, 04:43:21 PM
Pike definitely was the only good thing about Discovery over the two series.

Bonus points to this show if they actually visit strange new worlds. There's only been about 6 in total over nearly 40 episodes of new Trek.

The title gives me a little hope, but I'm sure the producers will crush it.

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 15, 2020, 07:24:41 PM
So it's come to this?  A Star Trek crossover series with Dad's Army.  They really are desperate, aren't they?

New concept art

NOT my work, I hasten to add.

JamesTC

They'll say it will be different. They'll say it will be optimistic and different. They are liars.

It'll be serialised shite.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on May 15, 2020, 08:47:30 PM
They'll say it will be different. They'll say it will be optimistic and different. They are liars.

It'll be serialised shite.

And yet Trek fans like myself will still watch desperate with hope that it won't be. And then have people like Chabon & even Frakes tell us we are in the wrong for not liking it while they bleat on about how wonderfully written and produced it all is.

Would have been happy for Trek to end with Enterprise. Yes even with the disappointing finale.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on May 15, 2020, 08:53:57 PM
Would have been happy for Trek to end with Enterprise. Yes even with the disappointing finale.

You can easily ignore These Are The Voyages as it takes place in the middle of a TNG episode. Demons/Terra Prime is a very fitting finale for all of Trek though as it embodies the progressive message very well.

Dex Sawash

Malcy

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 16, 2020, 12:59:20 AM
Am I excited about this?

I dont like the fact that Pike now knows his destiny. Especially the fucking ridiculous one DSC gave him.

Lemming

Got excited as soon as I saw the announcement but I feel like one of Pavlov's dogs at this point, salivating like a brainwashed idiot only to end up with a huge plateful of shit.

They're pushing the "optimistic and episodic" soundbite already. Obviously that's exactly what many of us want, but you just know that if anyone can fuck it up, it's Goldsaman, Kurtzman et al.

Wonderful Butternut

What evil artificial intelligence will Pike fight?

How many more ugly starship designs will be pulled out of someone's hole?

How much Section 31 wank will there be?

Will they dig up James Doohan and Leonard Nimoy's bodies to piss on them, or will they simply settle for burning the original masters of TOS?

So many questions.

Mobbd

I'm out.

I know it's tempting and that the title of the show gives us hope and that Pike was the only thing standable about Discovery, but they're lying. They lied about Picard being character-driven and capable of delivering where Discovery so bizarrely failed. And I know it was a different production, but they lied about Cumberbatch being Kahn when we all called it from the teasers immediately. It's just what they do now: they want Trekkies to help create buzz but they're not interested in delivering the kind of product Trekkies might actually want to see. They're just ransacking and shitting on a legacy by way of frigging their own sense of self-worth.

It will be another steaming hot plate of "dogshit for simpletons" (as someone here correctly described Picard) because (a) they are embarrassed by Star Trek and (b) they don't even know how to make something that isn't dogshit for simpletons.

Malcy

Five new cast members announced for the show. One rumoured to be playing Uhura. I hope Gemma Chan & the Australian get to use their native accents. The recent shows have felt very American apart from a few but the less said about the 'bejesus and begorrah' Romulan the better.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/03/12/five-cast-members-for-star-trek-strange-new-worlds-announced/

mothman

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on March 13, 2021, 01:46:26 PM
*Christina Chong. ;-)

Always get them mixed up. Right up there with Julie Walters & Imelda Staunton!

Still hopeful for this show. It can't be as bad as Picard or Discovery. Or can it? With it being episodic with character rather than story arcs it could shed off the dire arcs in the other shows that were just a mess.

Surely whenever they end it it will be Pike going to his fate and a CGI Shatner-Kirk getting command.

mothman

I reckon they won't be able to resist having the odd foreshadowing-the-Kirk-command-era appearance/cameo. A young Kirk on one of the ships he served on previously (from memory, the Farragut... and the Republic?). Scott being an engineer or becoming chief engineer. Sulu being a botanist before rediscovering his love of flying. All these are possible without violating canon.

Wonderful Butternut

First character I can think of looking at Jess Bush is Yeoman Colt.

If I'm right she'll probs be Ensign Colt as time has passed in universe since The Cage and in the real world it's not the 60s anymore. There may be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeing over that.

Malcy

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on March 13, 2021, 05:42:00 PM
First character I can think of looking at Jess Bush is Yeoman Colt.

If I'm right she'll probs be Ensign Colt as time has passed in universe since The Cage and in the real world it's not the 60s anymore. There may be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeing over that.

Yeah Colt & Dr Mbenga are the two names other than Uhura that are being rumoured. Apparently from the same source that got most of the characters right for Picard before they were announced. There was a lot of people asking to get Jeffrey Combs as Dr Boyce but I think I saw a tweet from him saying that he hadn't been approached for any roles in the recent shows which is a huge shame as he nails every character he plays in Trek.

petril

yeah, I'd have thought M'Benga would've gotten something post-90s, since it would tie in with diverse representation more. just a token few mentions somewhere.

but big Bengs was in charge whenever Bones fucked off, big man filling big shoes on that ship

MoreauVasz

This franchise is being terribly managed...

First they wanted to do a Section 31 spin-off based on nothing more than a charismatic actress making the most of a really shit script. Now they're doing another TOS prequel based on a different charismatic actor making the most of a really shit script.

There are loads of great spin-off ideas floating about the place, do we really need to turn every halfway decent performance into a series? Smacks of rudderless desperation.

Blumf

They better not be fucking up Dr M'benga! You'd always wait for McCoy to be off-duty before you went in for a check-up.

Man knew his stuff.

Malcy

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 13, 2021, 08:44:41 PM
This franchise is being terribly managed...

First they wanted to do a Section 31 spin-off based on nothing more than a charismatic actress making the most of a really shit script.

Now they are saying it will still be made but not until one of the current shows finishes. They've also commissioned yet another film that might not see the light of day. Written by a Discovery writer for JJ Abrams' Bad Robot. I think the bigwigs at Paramount are just determined to wring every little bit of cash they can out of the franchise without a care for the quality of the output.

Malcy

Quote from: Blumf on March 13, 2021, 09:14:10 PM
They better not be fucking up Dr M'benga! You'd always wait for McCoy to be off-duty before you went in for a check-up.

Man knew his stuff.

Bones preferred to hit pregnant women!

Wonderful Butternut

There had better be slapping of women in Strange New Worlds.

The wokerati gaystapo SJWs can't take slapping women out of Star Trek.

Blumf

This is NuTrek, no slapping, but full on GBH, punching the pregnant woman's face to a pulp. Ostensibly as a heavy handed and chiding lecture against abusing women, but written so badly it ends up fully justifying it.

mothman

Is it being hopelessly naive to look forward to this, given the people concerned and their track record so far? Of course. I just want to, anyway. In a year's time when I'm saying how shit it is, you can laugh at me. It's just... nice... to have something to look forward to, you know?

Malcy

Quote from: mothman on March 13, 2021, 10:56:27 PM
Is it being hopelessly naive to look forward to this, given the people concerned and their track record so far? Of course. I just want to, anyway. In a year's time when I'm saying how shit it is, you can laugh at me. It's just... nice... to have something to look forward to, you know?

Exactly the way I am. Was just thinking earlier how excited I was when Discovery was announced. Then more when this video came out and how the ship resembled one of the  concept s for the Planet Of The Titans film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8h9uNeIB_M

Then I saw the picture of the Klingons and thought "uh oh". The series really disappointed me but hang on PICARD IS COMING BACK!!!! I remember being out at the pub, came home and this was waiting for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_rML2ppdW8

I must have watched it 10 times. Screamed when Seven appeared, I was beyond excited. I thought that Discovery was just a mis-fire and finally we were getting something good. And it just went downhill from there. Series was shite and Jonathan Frakes even had a go at the fans who had criticised it by saying something like "they think they know what they want, but they're wrong" and I came to the realisation that Trek under the current leadership wasn't going to be something I was going to enjoy.

Even the episodes of 'proper' Trek that weren't all that never mattered to me. I'd just think oh well and be glad to have spent 45 mins in the Trek universe no matter how boring it was. But the endless gushing of praise from the people involved in the recent shows about how excellent the writing was and how they were pushing boundaries and shit like that really started to piss me off.

By the time Lower Decks was on it's way it was a shoulder shrug from me. Then I saw the setting, uniforms etc and thought at least it looks familiar. Trailer made me less excited again but when i watched it I loved it. I felt like I was spending time in the Trek universe again even if it was a bit shouty and over the top American-speak at first but by the end I was delighted with it. It honestly gave me a little tiny bit of hope that more good could come but also even more pissed off at how much of a fuck up the other 2 shows were.

I really want SNW to be good. Really really do. But I've been burned before. And given the stupidity of the TARDIS like interior of the turbolift & engineering sections of the Enterprise that were seen in S2, I just know there's going to be be tons more of this unnecessary stuff that really ruins it for me.

I don't think I ever complained or disliked anything about Star Trek until Into Darkness came out. And look at me now. That fucking Kurtzman.