Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:28:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9/11 [split topic]

Started by Wolf8312, May 14, 2020, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernice

Imagine if the controlled demolition hadn't worked and the planes had just smashed into the towers, leaving the government with no possible excuse to execute a war. Makes you think.

idunnosomename

maybe they blew up the towers to try and stop the planes crashing into them but it took far too long

Chollis

maybe your mum is your dad

Captain Z

Imagine if the controlled demolition had to rely on a totally unpredictable variable such as a massive fucking jumbo jet exploding somewhere in the mix.

Captain Z

Imagine how much worse 9/11 would have been under Corbyn.

It's even more remarkable that they managed a controlled explosive demolition of a building which was many times larger than any building where a controlled explosive demolition is even feasible.  You can't usually do that kind of controlled demo on a building that size as it would be far to difficult to guarantee a straight drop.

Still though, well done the CIA & Mossad.  The Fred Dibnah of international subterfuge.

Cuellar

Mr_Simnock

DID DIBNAH DO DAT OR DIDN'T HE?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on May 28, 2020, 02:38:55 PM
It's even more remarkable that they managed a controlled explosive demolition of a building which was many times larger than any building where a controlled explosive demolition is even feasible.  You can't usually do that kind of controlled demo on a building that size as it would be far to difficult to guarantee a straight drop.

Still though, well done the CIA & Mossad.  The Fred Dibnah of international subterfuge.

And it was pretty impressive of them to get the controlled demolitions to begin on the floors that the planes hit, causing the sections of the buildings above the plane damage to fall first and concertina downwards from there. The usual approach seems to be to be to trigger the demolition quite a bit nearer the base of a building.

Mister Six

Wolf, seriously, please answer me this: why bother rigging up the buildings to be demolished? Flying planes into them is more than enough to warrant a war in the Middle East. What would rigging them to explode - with all the complications and potential for the detonators to be found beforehand - achieve that the crashes wouldn't?

Ferris

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 03:29:59 AM
Wolf, seriously, please answer me this: why bother rigging up the buildings to be demolished? Flying planes into them is more than enough to warrant a war in the Middle East. What would rigging them to explode - with all the complications and potential for the detonators to be found beforehand - achieve that the crashes wouldn't?

I mean... just your common or garden regular faked terror attack would do the business. Why bring towers and planes into it?

Ferris

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 15, 2020, 10:25:03 PM
He's no better, nor more credible, than the cunts who think that leprechauns, werewolves and Count Chocula are real.

I'll remind you Coco Crisp played left field for the Oakland A's for 6 straight seasons so you never know.

sambwel

Why is there a 9/11 thread outside of Comedy Chat?

chveik

Quote from: sambwel on May 29, 2020, 05:30:25 AM
Why is there a 9/11 thread outside of Comedy Chat?

heh

this thread is a breath of fresh air really. a reminder of simpler times

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Bazooka on May 28, 2020, 01:16:25 PM
They should, I get all of the 9/11 attacks mixed up

Shitloads happened on September 11: The Battle of Stirling Bridge (best ever battle in Scottish history), the 1683 Battle of Vienna (obvs not the only battle of Vienna but probably the best one), The Battle of Brandywine, the Sugarloaf Massacre, and some shit in New York. The real crime is that September 11, 2001 is the one that's known as 9/11.

Cuellar

CIA backed Chilean coup installing Pinochet

idunnosomename

a dinosaur bit another dinosaur

Thomas

Quote from: Mister Six on May 29, 2020, 03:29:59 AM

For a few peaceful hours that morning, when it was simply a case of four hijacked planes, buildings aflame in a major city, an attack on the Pentagon, and countless civilian deaths, George Bush wasn't sure he'd even have to comment on it.

It wasn't until the towers actually fell down that he said 'right, that is quite enough - it's war'.

idunnosomename

the eagle cried when the towers died

markburgle

Can't face reading the whole thread so apols for any repetition - I highly recommend a book called City in the Sky, to anyone who likes fact-based reading, not just 9/11 obsessives of either stripe. Very interesting account of how these buildings were conceived of, planned, fought against, advocated for, built, despised by all of New York, gradually accepted and even loved, and then destroyed. Couple of relevant details I remember:

1. The plane-collision scenario was used by campaigners as one point in their arguments against building the towers. The designers defeated this objection by incorporating dynamic redistribution of load into the design, so that if x-number of support columns were knocked out, the load would shift to remaining columns and collapse would be averted. Unfortunately nobody - from either side - thought to raise the issue of how any subsequent fire might affect this arrangement. There's a good chance permission would never have been granted if anyone had.

2. The buildings were unique among steel framed buildings in the absence of concrete. Most building's steel frames are encased in it which - among other things - insulates the steel in the event of fire, making collapse a non-issue. These buildings were too tall for that - the amount of concrete needed would've encroached on the floor space so much that it would've defeated the purpose of making them so tall. Instead they used brittle fireproof plasterboard - not impact resistant - and also a spray-on fire resistant foam, applied directly to the beams. When contractors asked how much of this foam they were supposed to apply, nobody knew the answer. They were forced to guess, and decided on an inch, which - it turns out - was considerably less than required.

3. One of the last bands to play at the Windows on the World was the Troggs.

Head Gardener

I went to the top of TWTC in 1980, it was fucking amazing. Inside the top floor viewing gallery they had that curved floor glass so you could stand and look straight down to the bottom, I also remember the lift was like taking off in an airplane, it was all long ago but still have fond memories. I took a helicopter flight over Manhattan too on that trip and took footage which along with all my photos were mysteriously wiped from the reels of film when I got back home, I always assumed it was the x-rays scanners at JFK that killed them.
A friend I met there posted a pic of me by the Statue Of Liberty which turned out to be the only photo i have of the trip.

Ferris

I went up it in the late '90s, and remember how tiny everything was, but I was pretty tiny myself at the time.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 29, 2020, 04:01:32 PM
took footage which along with all my photos were mysteriously wiped from the reels of film when I got back home, I always assumed it was the x-rays scanners at JFK that killed them.
hmm how convenient! Wolf8423 any comment

rack and peanut

Woah woah, x-ray scanners killed JFK now?

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: markburgle on May 29, 2020, 03:13:26 PM
3. One of the last bands to play at the Windows on the World was the Troggs.
Finally it gets interesting. Reg Presley of The Troggs was famously a big proponent of aliens being responsible for crop circles.
And today? Reg Presley and 3000 other people linked to the towers are dead

Operty1

Imagine if the demolition charges went off in the buildings a few hours too soon.

The hijackers piloting the planes when they got there would be like...wait, what?

LOL the look on their faces.

idunnosomename

maybe they could use their initiative and crash into the chrysler, or empire state building. or st john the divine or st patricks. thank god they destroyed some shitty buildings with thousands of people in them

(satire)

Here Comes Mongo

I'd never found any of the 9/11 conspiracy theories to be plausible, but having read this I think it might've been possible that Mossad had advanced knowledge that something was going to happen that day.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/newly-released-fbi-docs-shed-light-on-apparent-mossad-foreknowledge-of-9-11-attacks/258581/

machotrouts

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on May 18, 2020, 03:46:52 AM
Posted on the Something Awful forums on the day of the attacks if I'm not mistaken?

A few minutes before the attacks, interestingly.