Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How Well Is Your Area Obeying Rules?

Started by Malcy, May 15, 2020, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Quote from: timebug on June 03, 2020, 10:23:53 AM
It always gets me, that when queueing anywhere,some twat makes/receives a phone call, at which point instead of remaining the prescribed distance, they have an uncontrolable urge to walk about, coming within a couple of feet of some others! Okay,
your phone rings.Answer it by all means, but stand fucking still!!!

Or as witnessed today in Tesco, they stand right in front of the shelves staring at their phone for several minutes oblivious to anything around them.

Chip van was back around tonight. People started queuing up a full HOUR before its supposed to be there. All stood shoulder to shoulder with children, dogs, elderly people with them.

Fucking idiots.

Cloud

Barrow-in-Furness update: Last week seems to have been the calm before the storm / "dipping the toes in before wading in" moment.  Today it was mental.  No one was even trying any more, quite a few times people were coughing and hacking away into the air in close proximity without even a hint of an attempt to cover their mouths.  Home Bargains was busy and no one including the staff gave a fuck.  Tesco - might as well flip the arrows to regain compliance as literally everyone I saw was going in the opposite direction to them.  Not surprised at all to learn that the R rate in the area is now above 1 just in time for the shops to re-open and kick off a second wave.

Mind, they just had Are Tommy (Robinson) come to play again, who crawled out from under his rock and came as fast as he could the moment he heard about some girl making allegations about a supposed Muslim grooming gang (I didn't think there were even any Muslims in Barrow to be honest, they probably have more sense than to come to the knuckle-dragger capital of England).  With any luck his fans will have spread it about themselves a bit.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Cloud on June 05, 2020, 09:46:16 PMMind, they just had Are Tommy (Robinson) come to play again, who crawled out from under his rock and came as fast as he could the moment he heard about some girl making allegations about a supposed Muslim grooming gang (I didn't think there were even any Muslims in Barrow to be honest, they probably have more sense than to come to the knuckle-dragger capital of England).  With any luck his fans will have spread it about themselves a bit.
I did see someone ranting about this online, saying "cover up" with local plod and press colluding to hide the truth. I did read the journalist covering the story had to leave town due to threats on their life.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on June 05, 2020, 10:14:50 PM
I did see someone ranting about this online, saying "cover up" with local plod and press colluding to hide the truth. I did read the journalist covering the story had to leave town due to threats on their life.

The Guardian's been covering this story quite well. It's hard to know exactly what's going on but it sounds like a massive case of paedo panic without any evidence.

Cloud

Combination of paedo panic and racism, neither of which is particularly unusual for the area.  I've not looked super deep into it but my basic understanding is there was a girl who'd been making accusations of rape relating to some Indian takeaway owners, ended up in court herself accused of (and I think found guilty of) false accusations and vigilantism has taken over with a narrative of the place being full of Asian grooming gangs.

It's a touchy subject from all angles really - as the MeToo movement highlighted, there are way too many cases where misogyny takes over and there's just an assumption that the girl must be lying.  But it seems there was more to it than that (allegedly a history of it IIRC), and the "there are a few Asians in the area so they must be rapists" narrative has taken over under the guise of wanting justice for her.

But then maybe I'm showing anti-racism bias at her expense, without knowing a lot more about it I don't know, but the fact all the local gammons have picked her side and Tommy has come swooping in like a seagull on a McDonalds wrapper tends to predispose me towards the "it's about racism" side.

At "best" (not that I'd wish for anyone to have been genuinely assaulted) it's racial opportunism.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Malcy on June 05, 2020, 09:02:20 PM
Chip van was back around tonight. People started queuing up a full HOUR before its supposed to be there. All stood shoulder to shoulder with children, dogs, elderly people with them.

Fucking idiots.

Maybe this chip van is selling products significantly more moreish than chips...?

Malcy

Quote from: Blinder Data on June 10, 2020, 03:18:09 PM
Maybe this chip van is selling products significantly more moreish than chips...?

Apparently the big appeal is that his fish is fresh. And that's it. Must be lacing the batter with something.

Dex Sawash

Danger Man

In Nottingham the lockdown is now a curfew.

Back to normality with no effort to social distance between 9am-5pm

Streets deserted after 5pm until the pubs reopen.

Twit 2

The mayor of my town has decreed that we all climb into his giant hat and wallow around with him in civic ecstasy. His tailor has constructed the very hat; I can hear the creaking of its supports now. It is strung across the town square and tomorrow we'll all tumble in and snog. I won't be kissing the mayor personally, but I will be writhing underneath him and clattering like a typewriter on his swollen, virulent nodes. We'll churn and fuck and sneeze. We'll all turn to swill and die.

king_tubby

Biked through Hyde Park (Leeds) last night, lockdown is over in LS6. Woodhouse Moor was rammed, and 100s of people were walking up Brudenell Road with cans to sit there. Gardens full of parties.

Bloody students.

Sheffield Wednesday

I keep telling myself these people just lack empathy and understanding and then I remember I would love to see them all gurgling up lung fondant  😂😂😴

Small Man Big Horse

A friend of mine (who lives with her husband and two kids) has decided that social distancing is now over for her as her husband's back at work and the kids are at school, she's a smart (ish) individual and I'm struggling not to call her a selfish cunt, christ, if there is a second wave it'll almost definitely be the end of our friendship after forty four odd years.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on June 22, 2020, 11:32:01 AM
A friend of mine (who lives with her husband and two kids) has decided that social distancing is now over for her as her husband's back at work and the kids are at school, she's a smart (ish) individual and I'm struggling not to call her a selfish cunt, christ, if there is a second wave it'll almost definitely be the end of our friendship after forty four odd years.

Try and make her see the other side. I did this last night with a friend who I just found out is a Boris supporter & "never Corbyn" (why? because Margaret Thatcher enabled her parents to buy a council house). I spent 1 hour in a hypnotic state of ranting on everything for coronavirus to anti-austerity to political history and capitalism...most of it received from people on here or Novara or other progressive outlets, but encapsulated in quite a compelling argument. At the end she was captivated and said "I'm depressed...why did I not think about this?".

Barry Admin

Yes, that.

I went to get info on the American figures that are now spiking, and saw much alarming shit on the way which may also be useful. I'll also be sending it to my Mum. We just gotta try and convince people to hold on a little longer, so they're not caught by the next inevitable spike. Then they'll see.

Quote from: CNNMore than 8.9 million cases of the novel coronavirus have been confirmed worldwide, including more than 467,000 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University.
The WHO reported the single-biggest daily jump in global coronavirus cases on Sunday, with the total rising by 183,020 in a 24-hour period.
Countries including China and Germany have renewed lockdown measures in some areas following the emergence of new clusters of cases.
In the US, cases are spiking in states like Florida and Arizona, even as the nation continues to reopen.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 22, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
Try and make her see the other side. I did this last night with a friend who I just found out is a Boris supporter & "never Corbyn" (why? because Margaret Thatcher enabled her parents to buy a council house). I spent 1 hour in a hypnotic state of ranting on everything for coronavirus to anti-austerity to political history and capitalism...most of it received from people on here or Novara or other progressive outlets, but encapsulated in quite a compelling argument. At the end she was captivated and said "I'm depressed...why did I not think about this?".

Quote from: Barry Admin on June 22, 2020, 12:53:25 PM
Yes, that.

I went to get info on the American figures that are now spiking, and saw much alarming shit on the way which may also be useful. I'll also be sending it to my Mum. We just gotta try and convince people to hold on a little longer, so they're not caught by the next inevitable spike. Then they'll see.

I tried both of those, had to be very careful with the language I used as she's an emotional type, and just stressed how we're a long way away before this is all over with, and that the second wave could kill people she loved, etc, but she just replied with a rant about how the lockdown's almost killed her and the effect it had on her mental health. And this is someone who's lived with her husband and kids throughout it, and not someone who's not touched another human being for three months (like me, hence the bitterness). Genuinely feeling rage towards her now, but there seems to no point in arguing with her because she just doesn't seem to give a fuck about others.

chveik

you can't undermine the effect it has on mental health though. what you call selfishness can also be seen as the simple act of trying to remain sane. (this isn't really about your friend, I'm just feeling less and less comfortable with shaming people for this)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on June 22, 2020, 03:06:43 PM
you can't undermine the effect it has on mental health though. what you call selfishness can also be seen as the simple act of trying to remain sane. (this isn't really about your friend, I'm just feeling less and less comfortable with shaming people for this)

I hear you, I do, but she's been fucking lucky throughout this and as mentioned, lives with her husband and two kids in their fucking nice large house in Surrey with a large garden (which due to a distant death in the family is mortgage free). Part of my reaction is down to bitterness, there's no doubt about that, as I live in a shared house with a fucking mental landlord (who has evicted two people during the lockdown, and threatened to evict the rest of us on another occasion) and have only seen my girlfriend once during this time where we stayed two meters apart at all times, and I haven't touched another single human being in over three months which has been fucking horrible, but even despite my own woes and own mental health issues I intend to keep up social distancing as I don't want to be responsible for killing others.

bgmnts

Imagine living in Surrey and having the gall to complain about anything in life.

Not even being sarcastic.

The Culture Bunker

I suppose it's clear now that the "rules" as they were are buried now. Last two times I've been to the shop, there's been groups drinking by the war memorial near the library or tables outside pubs - mostly middle aged sorts supping bottles and cans bought from the shop, then pissing behind bushes/down alleys when they've had their fill. I suppose enough people feel "safe" now to do what they fancy.

bgmnts

Its been a few days of de facto normality and you can just feel it in the air and see it in the littered streets.

Nothing has reaffirmed my belief that depression is the default state for humans and anyone who can walk around on this planet not utterly hateful or miserable is either weirdly self involved, ignorant or uncaring.

Covid at least gave us a few months of relative bliss.

mr. logic

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2020, 06:38:52 PM
Its been a few days of de facto normality and you can just feel it in the air and see it in the littered streets.

Nothing has reaffirmed my belief that depression is the default state for humans and anyone who can walk around on this planet not utterly hateful or miserable is either weirdly self involved, ignorant or uncaring.

Covid at least gave us a few months of relative bliss.

Yes that blissful situation where loads of people were dying prematurely and horribly was one that could only be appreciated by the caring.

bgmnts

Quote from: mr. logic on June 22, 2020, 07:17:41 PM
Yes that blissful situation where loads of people were dying prematurely and horribly was one that could only be appreciated by the caring.

The streets were clear, the birds were out chirping, the river was in the best condition its ever been. Fucking bliss.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2020, 05:36:55 PM
Imagine living in Surrey and having the gall to complain about anything in life.

I grew up there and largely agree with you, apart from the overwhelming Conservative majority are small town got in every election, it really was the kind of place that a dog turd could run for election as a tory and still win. And often did!!!

royce coolidge

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2020, 05:36:55 PM

What a complete twat you are.

bgmnts

Is Small Man Big Horse a twat as well then?

royce coolidge

Quote from: bgmnts on June 22, 2020, 09:45:52 PM
Is Small Man Big Horse a twat as well then?

No he is a smart and funny poster,who at least knows the area he talks about.
Where as you have to endlessly chip in with snarky Ill informed shit on every fucking thread without fail. Fair ?

bgmnts

But he agreed with me so doesn't really make sense so no, not fair.

royce coolidge

He said largely he agreed,you made a blanket statement that it's some kind of paradise,tell that to a doley on a Woking council estate

Dr Rock

I just phoned my mate who lives in Woking and is on he dole and he says it might not be perfect but there's worse places. He gave a couple of examples, but I won't share them for fear of causing offence.