Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision was supposed to be tomorrow.

Started by Icehaven, May 15, 2020, 09:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Wonderful Butternut

Ireland: No points.

Yes, I know they don't call it out like that. Fuck off.

Poobum

This has made it all so real for me. How will slightly catchy europop from the former eastern bloc lodge itself in my brain now?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Poobum on May 15, 2020, 09:55:19 PM
This has made it all so real for me. How will slightly catchy europop from the former eastern bloc lodge itself in my brain now?

Frontotemporal Dementia

Poobum

Oh noes, that's why I've got Verka Serduchka constantly playing in my mind!!!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

well RTÉ are showing a Eurovision special tomorrow around 7 and then Eurovision - Europe Shine a Light is on at 8. and I'm fucking watching both of them. Love Eurovision. Went away from it for about ten years between 1997 and 2006 when Lordi lured me back.

I'm listening to what would've been our song atm and it's okay but it's like every other Katie Perry-esque pop single out there. Don't understand why we can't get Walking on Cars or Hudson Taylor or The City and Us to write something that's actually different and good. Oh wait I do understand why - RTÉ don't want to host the fucker. You have to do three nights now with all the attendant openings and interval acts.

idunnosomename

Lordi are the only time I paid to vote for anything (you paid like 10p for SMS back then, or at least I did)

possibly the only time I felt democracy actually achieved something meaningful too

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 15, 2020, 11:00:48 PM
well RTÉ are showing a Eurovision special tomorrow around 7 and then Eurovision - Europe Shine a Light is on at 8. and I'm fucking watching both of them. Love Eurovision. Went away from it for about ten years between 1997 and 2006 when Lordi lured me back.

I'm listening to what would've been our song atm and it's okay but it's like every other Katie Perry-esque pop single out there. Don't understand why we can't get Walking on Cars or Hudson Taylor or The City and Us to write something that's actually different and good. Oh wait I do understand why - RTÉ don't want to host the fucker. You have to do three nights now with all the attendant openings and interval acts.

Mael Mordha tried to get on Ireland's ticket in 2004 or 2005 with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncjPFLgidM

Don't think it'd quite have been Lordi before Lordi though. Lacks the catchiness.

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on May 15, 2020, 11:07:23 PM
Mael Mordha tried to get on Ireland's ticket in 2004 or 2005 with this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sncjPFLgidM

Don't think it'd quite have been Lordi before Lordi though. Lacks the catchiness.
Too long for Eurovision too. Incredible song though.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 15, 2020, 11:09:24 PM
Too long for Eurovision too. Incredible song though.

They did get as far as going on the show to pick the song (back when we did that), so they must've cut it down. I can't find any vids of that now though.

A few years later I was in the middle of studying the English invasion of Ireland in the 12th century and they only went released and a concept album about it. I was looking at the song titles and I was "wait a minute, I know what all of these things are!"

Captain Z

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 15, 2020, 10:29:21 PM
WE'RE FLYING THE FLAG!!!!!!!!!!

Only two countries gave Scooch any points that year, and one those (Malta) gave them the full 12.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Captain Z on May 15, 2020, 11:20:50 PM

Only two countries gave Scooch any points that year, and one those (Malta) gave them the full 12.
wonderful. some sense. Malta should join our united kingdom. who was the other one then. oh, 7 points from Ireland! welcome back lads

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 15, 2020, 11:56:09 PM
crikey Ireland let itself go the next year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irelande_Douze_Pointe
Yes, that was our nadir. At least we've sent people who can actually sing every year since.

Dewt

idunnosomename

i love how ireland nearly bankrupted itself hosting this shit because it couldn't help winning it

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 16, 2020, 12:42:07 AM
i love how ireland nearly bankrupted itself hosting this shit because it couldn't help winning it
it's the only international competition we were any good at

Sebastian Cobb

I reckon they should still do it. They that charity gig that Elton sung about Lemon Ken's at managed to do a load of home broadcasts.

Birdie

Attila

Eurovision is the only tv that I actually watch live (the few other bits are usually iPlayer and that). Always kick off with the Father Ted 'Song for Europe.'

Still, looks like the BBC's cobbled together about 6 hours worth of stuff this evening, including Graham Norton hosting the would-have-been 41 songs in the competition (the semi-entries plus the 'big five.')

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 15, 2020, 11:56:09 PM
crikey Ireland let itself go the next year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irelande_Douze_Pointe

QuoteA minor nuisance arose because the presence of the puppeteer meant that one too many performers was onstage. The officials eventually decided that because the puppeteer was in a shopping trolley, he did not count as being "on the stage."

Marvellous!

flotemysost

Posted this in the Oscillations thread, but I was supposed to be in Rotterdam this weekend :( It's been rescheduled for the same location next year, as far as I know.

Still, sounds like there's an evening's worth of stuff to watch, I've got some Heinekens chilling in the fridge, and a sequinned catsuit purpose-bought from Oxfam, which I'm gonna wear in my living room god damn it. Entries seem quite ballad-heavy this year, but so far I'm liking Russia, Azerbaijan[nb]Nice friendly destinations for the vast LGBT+ Eurovision fanbase, of course - probably a good thing this year's entries won't be eligible next year[/nb], Serbia, and fan favourites Iceland.

Head Gardener

the 60 Years of Eurovision on BBC 4 last night was quite emotional, or maybe I'm just old

Pseudopath

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 16, 2020, 01:41:42 PM
the 60 Years of Eurovision on BBC 4 last night was quite emotional, or maybe I'm just old

It was a repeat from 2016, but it was a lovely documentary and great to see El Tel again. *sniff*

Emma Raducanu

I really loved Portugal's song from a couple of years back which came nearly last. That is all

O jardim

Cuellar

Seeing Johnny Logan singing 'what's another year?', and you think 'yes, everything is going to be ok'

greencalx

This Eurovision replacement is the most morose broadcast ever. It's being broadcast from inside a dystopian black cube, with beyond-the-grave music in the background during the Harfynn Teuport and Suki Bapswent sections. Only 30 second snippets of the songs and zoomed-in messages of hope and destruction from the artistes.