Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eurovision was supposed to be tomorrow.

Started by Icehaven, May 15, 2020, 09:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 17, 2020, 05:24:07 PM
Have you actually seen the other contestants? It cant be that.

I have and it really is.

Pseudopath

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 17, 2020, 04:48:56 PM
Should that cloud thier minds in judging a song contest do you think.

Not saying it should, but if politics do come into it, that's more likely to be the reason than latent memories of a 17-year old (albeit woefully-misguided) war...which seemed to be the documentary in question's angle.

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 17, 2020, 05:26:55 PM
Not saying it should, but if politics do come into it, that's more likely to be the reason than latent memories of a 17-year old (albeit woefully-misguided) war...which seemed to be the documentary in question's angle.
Sorry I dont understand can you expand please.

Rizla

I think at least back in the day, because we knew that the other european countries would always buy our pop music but we'd seldom buy theirs, it meant come Eurovision time we could just chuck some utter shite at them and say "here you go you funny foreigns, this is what YOU sound like to us! You lap this up don't you?". Doesn't work anymore though. When was the last time we tried to give them something "good"? That year Lloyd Webber got involved? We should just send Cliff in, let him danger dance his way to UK victory.

This post was not very good was it.

Quote from: Rizla on May 17, 2020, 06:01:11 PM
I think at least back in the day, because we knew that the other european countries would always buy our pop music but we'd seldom buy theirs, it meant come Eurovision time we could just chuck some utter shite at them and say "here you go you funny foreigns, this is what YOU sound like to us! You lap this up don't you?". Doesn't work anymore though. When was the last time we tried to give them something "good"? That year Lloyd Webber got involved? We should just send Cliff in, let him danger dance his way to UK victory.

This post was not very good was it.
No, disregarding the fact we did send sir cliff in 1973
https://youtu.be/KAOwf78KKmY
He came last

Rizla

True! His old backing band made up for it by coming 2nd a couple of years later despite (or because of) them making an arse of the live performance. Quite like this song, bit maccaesque.

Jollity

Cliff came third in 1973, making him one of the small group of artists to come second and third, but not first, at Eurovision. Belgium came last that year, and this is what they came last with (it's the national finals performance because the actual Eurovision performance is blocked on copyright grounds or some shit).

Anyway, I think the reason it wasn't a proper contest this year is something to do with insurance or not being able to get back the money they'd already put down for the venue. I hear that people recommend that live concerts should not come back until October 2021, though, so next year's contest might be severely delayed.

flotemysost

Quote from: Billy on May 17, 2020, 02:24:41 PM
Accommodation was also insanely highly priced from the moment the Dutch actually won a year earlier, not just in Rotterdam but the whole damn country

Yep, I lucked out getting an Airbnb in near the centre of Rotterdam for me and the friends I'd have been staying with, not completely extortionate but probably around twice what you'd roughly expect. The host was really sweet when I cancelled and sounded genuinely gutted about the show (although I'm sure losing out on customers was part of that).

I went to the Family Final in Lisbon in 2018, then watched the final that evening from the commercial square - it was a lot of fun, even if they gravely misjudged the amount of Portaloos needed, meaning we were treated to the sight of lots of blokes in spangly Verka outfits flopping out their dicks and pissing into empty Super Bock cups.

Mmmmmm.....superbok. 5.2% AND you can get it ice cold out of vending machines at Praia de Rocha ON THE STREETS. 😯😯😜

beanheadmcginty

Here you go bomb_dog (and anybody else who's interested). It's a 12gb file so takes a while to download.

Eurovision Wrong Contest: https://we.tl/t-h7vCOTsJLw

DrGreggles

Quote from: Rizla on May 17, 2020, 06:15:57 PM
True! His old backing band made up for it by coming 2nd a couple of years later despite (or because of) them making an arse of the live performance. Quite like this song, bit maccaesque.

Good to see Ron Atkinson getting work on drums.

DrGreggles

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 17, 2020, 09:00:30 PM
Here you go bomb_dog (and anybody else who's interested). It's a 12gb file so takes a while to download.

Douze points

Captain Z

I think at least back in the day, because we knew that the other european countries would always buy our pop music but we'd seldom buy theirs

I think this is a big part of it today. We're very closed-minded to any foreign language pop music in the UK, and when they rarely break through they're treated as some kind of novelty (e.g. 'Despacito', and even that had to be given an English verse from Justin Beiber specifically for the UK and US markets). Last year's Eurovision entry from Italy had already been top 10 in at least five different European countries, which lead me to look up some charts at the time. There was a single from Latin artist Daddy Yankee that was #1 in several countries, and had made it to something like #75 in the UK.

Johnny Yesno

I think at least back in the day, because we knew that the other european countries would always buy our pop music but we'd seldom buy theirs, it meant come Eurovision time we could just chuck some utter shite at them and say "here you go you funny foreigns, this is what YOU sound like to us! You lap this up don't you?". Doesn't work anymore though.

It wasn't always that way but it has been for years.

Fr.Bigley

Does anyone remember that scandal in 96 when those two clergymen tried to rip of Ming hoogan and the hooganotes but realised the song was more widely known so had to sing some song about a horse and it was just one note and they came last. Think that was the last time Ireland hosted because it turned out there was some corruption; the Irish were concerned about how much it would cost to host so they deliberately got the worst act they could find so they would come dead last.

There's a documentary about it on channel 4

Attila

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 17, 2020, 11:41:15 PM
Does anyone remember that scandal in 96 when those two clergymen tried to rip of Ming hoogan and the hooganotes but realised the song was more widely known so had to sing some song about a horse and it was just one note and they came last. Think that was the last time Ireland hosted because it turned out there was some corruption; the Irish were concerned about how much it would cost to host so they deliberately got the worst act they could find so they would come dead last.

There's a documentary about it on channel 4

We just watched that documentary on Saturday, actually.

They also ripped off another act's video for their promo video, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzaZ2_35Osg

DrGreggles

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 17, 2020, 09:00:30 PM

This is pure spun gold - and I'm only half an hour in!

I'M SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING GODDAMMIT!

alan nagsworth

Some headcases called Chemtrail Party Mix made an alternative "Song For Lockdown" contest which aired on Saturday night, featuring a load of absolutely bonkers songs ranging from avantgarde to synth pop to speedcore and it was fucking brilliant. Probably the most fun I've had during lockdown so far. It went out live, hosted by Eureka Bohnson and Terry Wigan (the latter of whom gave great commentary over the music videos as they played), the chat room was well lively. Some friends of mine (Squidwin Triumph and His Band) entered a song which was the last one played on the evening and was very well received.

You can rewatch the whole stream here and here (it's in two halves as the stream went down halfway through) and it's stupidly entertaining nonsense with some really bizarre and funny music.

If you want a taste, here is the winning entry (though don't click if you want to avoid spoilers!).

Here is the entry from my friends also.

flotemysost

Quote from: Captain Z on May 17, 2020, 11:13:57 PM
Last year's Eurovision entry from Italy had already been top 10 in at least five different European countries, which lead me to look up some charts at the time.

I was on holiday in Cyprus last year and aforementioned Italian entry Soldi came on in a bar, along with Fuego, Cyprus' 2018 entry (also a belter, as is Eleni Foureira's fabulous outfit in the video). I lost my shit because you'd never hear them played in the UK (well, outside of gay bars anyway) but my friends, who aren't Eurovison nerds (at least not these ones) were a bit bemused.

I think Satellite (Germany's winning 2010 entry) was big-ish here at the time, at least based on a distinct memory of my uni housemate at the time singing along to it on the radio, and me assuming it must be one of the slightly drippy Eliza Doolittle-type UK singers she was very into.

Captain Z

Fuego is a tune. A mashup on YouTube pointed out to me that Camila Cabello's track Liar seems to be heavily in debt to it:
https://youtu.be/O8-FJXYz_54

I remember hearing Loreen's Euphoria (2012?) a fair bit over here, but only after it won the contest.

Head Gardener