Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:48:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil May RIP

Started by Inspector Norse, May 16, 2020, 06:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Norse

Phil May, lead singer with the Pretty Things, has died aged 75. Not covid.

The Pretties were one of the best and most underappreciated bands of the '60s: their early stuff was easily the equal of what the Stones and Kinks were doing, and the later SF Sorrow and Parachute key albums of psych and its development.

RIP

Brundle-Fly

Brilliant group, and allegedly were the first to coin the euphemism 'Charlie' for cocaine. They always put 'Charlie' on their list of touring expenses, pretending he was a gofer for the band.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Too late to say  Don't Bring Me Down. I'm not going to indulge in some Private Sorrow here, but am going to say publically how sad this news is. " S F Sorrow" is an album that still gets a spin at Chez Jesusandmarychain. I'd say they deserve a place in at least the top 5 of the best bands to come out of Sidcup.

I may well , in tribute to Mr. May, have a valedictory view of the film " What's Good For The Goose" , Norman Wisdom's hilarious film set in exotic Southport, featuring Albania's King Of Comedy as a middle aged banker, who ,while attending a conference  in the  aforementioned not quite Las Vegas of the North- West of England ( maybe the location budget didn't stretch to Blackpool) finds himself succumbing to the psychedelic scene and shagging Sally  Geeson ; sadly ( hey, SPOILERS after this bracketed bit), swinging (late) 60s Sally Geeson goes on to shag just about everybody else ( possibly including other members of The Pretty Things, I bet a pre- Muslim converting Twink had a go on her ), and makes Norman sad.In this film, you get to hear some stonking tunes by the Things in their Electric Banana prime, inclusive of " It'll Never Be Me" and " Blow Your Mind". Why, Phil and the ' Things also get to show off their acting chops in a couple of party scenes ( and Norman Wisdom gets to show off his bum on Southport Beach). The actual " What's Good For The Goose ( # is also QUACK QUACK* for the gander#) is a fucking tune and a half as well ( marred only slightly by Norman himself singing a version of it over the closing titles), and may well have influenced the young Mark E. Smith when he was writing " Rowche Rumble".

Yep, deffo giving that film a viewing tonight, as should all the right- thinking boys and girls of CaB.

RIP Phil May.
( * I know geese Don't QUACK. Maybe " Honk" just wouldnae have fitted the song structure.)

BlodwynPig

He was only 75?

Saw them live in 2001 at a festival in Germany - fantastic stuff even then, full of animation and energy, put punk artists to shame.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 16, 2020, 10:35:38 AM
He was only 75?

Saw them live in 2001 at a festival in Germany - fantastic stuff even then, full of animation and energy, put punk artists to shame.

They never officially split up until quite recently, I don't think.

Sin Agog

Nevermind all the concept bollocks, they did that Quiet-Loud thing so fucking well, and that's a trick that will never get old.

massive bereavement

Sad to see this only got four replies, so I'm bumping it with another.

Why were they not at least as big as The Kinks? Maybe for the same reason the "Man Who Sold The World" album failed to sell, too feminine looking for the time, otherwise I'm completely baffled.

Top tune - "I Can Never Say" and thank god for "Defecting Grey" without which we wouldn't have The Stereo Shoestring's "On The Road South".