Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC Four going Off-Air

Started by Pink Gregory, May 16, 2020, 01:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

https://mobile.twitter.com/TVZone_/status/1260857383653462021

deso

Recent finds - Jonathan Meades' Franco Building and Pedro Almovodar's documentary about survivors of the Spanish civil war.

Gone.  Fuck's sake.

Sebastian Cobb

This is another step towards the BBC not being worth saving.

It's becoming harder and harder to defend it given their news content is just government-worship and now they're taking away exactly the sort of programming that wouldn't get made without the licence fee. So what is point if they're just producing stuff that could be supported under a commercial model?

Pink Gregory

Supposedly re-investing the content into...BBC Three? 

Account chirpily says 'oh it'll be fine, some of the content could be on BBC2'.  Fucked.

greencalx

Do you think they're trying to Radio 6 it?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 16, 2020, 02:09:48 PM

Account chirpily says 'oh it'll be fine, some of the content could be on BBC2'.  Fucked.

Axing a channel of commercially unviable culture and arts programming and redirecting the money towards a web-only channel aimed at a generation that no longer watch linear tv. Nice one lads.

Absorb the anus burn

olliebean

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 16, 2020, 02:09:48 PM

A lot of it is the sort of thing that would have been on BBC2, before it was hived off onto BBC4. I'm guessing rather less of that sort of content will make its way back to BBC2.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on May 16, 2020, 02:35:30 PM
A lot of it is the sort of thing that would have been on BBC2, before it was hived off onto BBC4. I'm guessing rather less of that sort of content will make its way back to BBC2.

I'm guessing a lot of it won't get made and they'll continue to aim bbc2 at the shitmunchers.

All of the 'big 4' channels now have an average viewing age well into their 60's (which commercial stations are fine with because they have a lot of spending power). They're trying to mitigate that by pumping more into BBC Three, which is ostensibly 20's-40's but because they've done nothing for them on their main channels it's closing the door after the horse has bolted into the streaming paddock.

M-CORP

I would say in response to this news that maybe they can use the closure of BBC Four to restore a little bit of distinctive purpose and focus to BBC Two, which in recent years has of course been diluted by the transfer of its most successful shows (even Top Gear) to BBC One, and its former arts remit being rendered obsolete by BBC Four. If money really is tight, that would probably be a more efficient use of budget, instead of BBC Two just essentially being a repeats channel nowadays, or showing ephemeral programming about nothing in particular.

But obviously that would be the logical thing for the BBC to do, so it won't happen.

If BBC Four were to close, that would be a shame as its more sophisticated and nerdy type of programming, particularly regarding music, is just too rare these days. If that programming were to be lost in the process, rather than transferred to BBC Two, that would be the missed opportunity to end all missed opportunities.

A petition to save BBC Four has already got 31,000 signatures:
https://www.change.org/p/british-broadcasting-corporation-save-bbc-four-from-closure?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&recruited_by_id=75b549c0-961b-11ea-b5bb-b37f6fd1ad85

Small Man Big Horse

Captain Z

No such thing as BBC Four? But where will all the TOTPs go?

Blumf

Humm... BBC2 2300h TOTP2, BBC4 0020h TOTP2

Have to say, always thought BBC4 robbed 2 or it's purpose. Was surprised when they ditched 3 instead of rolling 4 back into 2, at least 3 had a unique roll.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Pol Pot everything

Unless you only can see sunshine and fields (guns and skulls perhaps peripheral) you are a fucking subvert.

BlodwynPig

Agrarian death fields forever

non capisco

Is this because the Top Of The Pops repeats reached the point where Jive Bunny got to number one?