Author Topic: Games that really should've just been pushed to the next gen  (Read 524 times)

Was looking at some videos of Driver today and the draw distance blew me away with how shit it was. I can remember thinking at the time that it was unbelievably bad, at times almost like driving blind if it weren't for the map. I think Driver 2's was somehow even worse? Maybe the walking meant areas had to have higher res textures or something.

I reckon it was best that it came out on N64 but didn't Perfect Dark have utterly atrocious frame rate issues?

Dewt

• The Fun House Grand Prix
Re: Games that really should've just been pushed to the next gen
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 02:39:51 AM »
Everything on the N64 was atrocious and ugly.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 03:51:17 AM »
Shadow of the Colossus certainly put a lot of strain on a ps2, the remaster on ps3 wasn't just a polish job, but a far more playable game.

I remember Dune 2 on the Amiga needing 7 floppy disks, propably a sign that was on its way out.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 04:00:33 AM »
Shadow of the Colossus certainly put a lot of strain on a ps2, the remaster on ps3 wasn't just a polish job, but a far more playable game.
Why didn't they just push it to PS3, actually? Give the machine a critical darling very early on.

Mister Six

• Ridiculously teacakes
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 04:37:15 AM »
I remember Dune 2 on the Amiga needing 7 floppy disks, propably a sign that was on its way out.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish came on 12.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

• Silver Member
  • Stag At Home / Maul the Cunt of Death / Save Lives
    • http://jackanderton.jamendo.net/
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »
I had Driver on the PC, can't remember the pop-up being as bad as described. Wasn't it out on the PS1? I vaguely remember it looking fucking shocking on that.

Driver 2 was Xbox era wasn't it? Definitely shouldn't have had a shit draw distance given the likes of PGR existed.

MojoJojo

• Between a cow college and a MetaLab.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:57:52 AM »

I don't remember it having loads of disks, but wiki reports it was on 5 disks. I don't think it really mattered too much, as there wasn't any swapping once you got into a battle.

AsparagusTrevor

• I'm fine, thank you.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky was an obscene 15 disks! Luckily I had a massive 20mb hard drive.

madhair60

• カッコイイ
  • Golden Member
  • バカ
    • Comics, videos, podcasts, writing, etc
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »

Absolutely toilet yourself. But not before we complete Manic Minor 64

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 01:31:12 PM »
I had Driver on the PC, can't remember the pop-up being as bad as described. Wasn't it out on the PS1? I vaguely remember it looking fucking shocking on that.

Driver 2 was Xbox era wasn't it? Definitely shouldn't have had a shit draw distance given the likes of PGR existed.
Driver was a PS1 game that was ported to PC. Relative to 1999 PC games it probably looked a state even with improved draw distance?

Nah Driver 2 was like 18 months after the first one and a PlayStation exclusive,  you'd have to imagine it was rushed like fuck to get out before PS2 started eating into the PS1's huge market share but it's a fucking mess.

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky was an obscene 15 disks! Luckily I had a massive 20mb hard drive.
At that stage we're talking CD games on PC being ported back though, aren't we?

Jim Bob

• (aka Right Said Brett)
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 03:35:36 PM »

Ah, that patented vaseline look.

Correct.

I just searched on Google for the game with the most floppy disks.  Apparently the crown goes to a game titled Biing (no, me neither), which came on a whopping 19 floppies.  Also, MS Office 97 came on 55 floppies!

Jim Bob

• (aka Right Said Brett)
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 03:38:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, I just looked up Biing and it looks, um... interesting (NSFW).  Bet all 19 of those floppy disks were crusty as fuck.

Tags: