Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Games that really should've just been pushed to the next gen

Started by peanutbutter, May 17, 2020, 02:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Was looking at some videos of Driver today and the draw distance blew me away with how shit it was. I can remember thinking at the time that it was unbelievably bad, at times almost like driving blind if it weren't for the map. I think Driver 2's was somehow even worse? Maybe the walking meant areas had to have higher res textures or something.

I reckon it was best that it came out on N64 but didn't Perfect Dark have utterly atrocious frame rate issues?

Dewt

The Crumb

Shadow of the Colossus certainly put a lot of strain on a ps2, the remaster on ps3 wasn't just a polish job, but a far more playable game.

I remember Dune 2 on the Amiga needing 7 floppy disks, propably a sign that was on its way out.

peanutbutter

Quote from: The Crumb on May 17, 2020, 03:51:17 AM
Shadow of the Colossus certainly put a lot of strain on a ps2, the remaster on ps3 wasn't just a polish job, but a far more playable game.
Why didn't they just push it to PS3, actually? Give the machine a critical darling very early on.

Mister Six

I remember Dune 2 on the Amiga needing 7 floppy disks, propably a sign that was on its way out.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish came on 12.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I had Driver on the PC, can't remember the pop-up being as bad as described. Wasn't it out on the PS1? I vaguely remember it looking fucking shocking on that.

Driver 2 was Xbox era wasn't it? Definitely shouldn't have had a shit draw distance given the likes of PGR existed.

MojoJojo

I don't remember it having loads of disks, but wiki reports it was on 5 disks. I don't think it really mattered too much, as there wasn't any swapping once you got into a battle.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Mister Six on May 17, 2020, 04:37:15 AM

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky was an obscene 15 disks! Luckily I had a massive 20mb hard drive.

madhair60

Quote from: Dewt on May 17, 2020, 02:39:51 AM
Everything on the N64 was atrocious and ugly.

Absolutely toilet yourself. But not before we complete Manic Minor 64

peanutbutter

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 17, 2020, 10:04:24 AM
I had Driver on the PC, can't remember the pop-up being as bad as described. Wasn't it out on the PS1? I vaguely remember it looking fucking shocking on that.

Driver 2 was Xbox era wasn't it? Definitely shouldn't have had a shit draw distance given the likes of PGR existed.
Driver was a PS1 game that was ported to PC. Relative to 1999 PC games it probably looked a state even with improved draw distance?

Nah Driver 2 was like 18 months after the first one and a PlayStation exclusive,  you'd have to imagine it was rushed like fuck to get out before PS2 started eating into the PS1's huge market share but it's a fucking mess.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on May 17, 2020, 11:31:39 AM

I remember Beneath a Steel Sky was an obscene 15 disks! Luckily I had a massive 20mb hard drive.
At that stage we're talking CD games on PC being ported back though, aren't we?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on May 17, 2020, 02:39:51 AM
Everything on the N64 was atrocious and ugly.

Ah, that patented vaseline look.

Correct.

Quote from: Mister Six on May 17, 2020, 04:37:15 AM

I just searched on Google for the game with the most floppy disks.  Apparently the crown goes to a game titled Biing (no, me neither), which came on a whopping 19 floppies.  Also, MS Office 97 came on 55 floppies!

Jim Bob

Out of curiosity, I just looked up Biing and it looks, um... interesting (NSFW).  Bet all 19 of those floppy disks were crusty as fuck.