Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:18:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

S.O.D - Speak Spanish Or Die

Started by McFlymo, May 17, 2020, 11:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

https://www.facebook.com/ipecac/videos/254216062301106/
QuoteIpecac Recordings - Some friends of ours.

@scottianthrax @charbenante #dannylilker #billymilano #MPLonelyRanger #SOD #stormtroopersofdeath @monocugat - audio
@pieromedone - video @necaofficial

I guess the intention is, by changing the title to Speak SPANISH Or Die, they're taking the original, pretty xenophobic lyrics and turning them on their head. The problem is, Patton's still clearly singing all the other fairly offensive lines, like, "What's that dot on you head
Do you use it to see?" ... Perhaps a better way to have approached this would have been to change more of the lyrics so that they weren't so, oh I dunno, white surpremacist-y....

It's basically just pretty racist and shit, isn't it? Like, either, lay your cards on the table and do an anti-racist song, if that's you intention, or don't. This is a little too on the fence for me. A gesture that might be saying something against racism, but it's far too vague to be taken that way.

Also, it's possible that "Speak Spanish Or Die" could be seen as saying, "there are too many Mexican / Latin people in the US. Now we all have been forced to speak Spanish, against our will".

It's a shame, because I am chuffed to see some new music from Patton and it's nice to see these guys doing some lockdown stuff, but this is all a bit awkward uncle at a wedding, isn't it?

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

The original SOD album was meant to be deliberately offensive and moronic in an ironic way.

Fr.Bigley

McFlymo

I feel the "ironic racism" defence has to be supported by some strong work that demonstrates you are not in fact, just saying loads of horrible racist shit. And I don't see any of that in the case of S.O.D.

Ultimately, if you're not working on dispelling the accusations of racism and instead, you and all your white mates are just shrugging your shoulders, then that's pretty fucking bad.

Albert Soviets

Quote from: McFlymo on May 17, 2020, 12:18:53 PM
I feel the "ironic racism" defence has to be supported by some strong work that demonstrates you are not in fact, just saying loads of horrible racist shit. And I don't see any of that in the case of S.O.D.

Ultimately, if you're not working on dispelling the accusations of racism and instead, you and all your white mates are just shrugging your shoulders, then that's pretty fucking bad.
Brutal Truth and Anthrax had a strong anti-racist stance. Is that a defence?

Nah. I always skipped that track on the album. It's a shit "joke".

Yeah it's a shit defense. It's the Jerry Sadowitz of thrash metal. Or Mark E Smith saying "n**gers" in The Classical. Oh but he/they can't really mean it, it's not racist, it's... etc.
I don't imagine any nazi skinhead white power cunts thinking, 'hang on, this isn't real. This is irony! Turn it off", and likewise I can't imagine any non-white person listening and chuckling along at the 'obvious' jokes. It's vile and Mike Patton shouldn't be anywhere near it. He might as well say"ah come on now Dougal, lighten up" at the end.

McFlymo

This combined with Patton's use of the "N-word" in the lyrics of one of Dead Cross's songs and his somewhat awkward handling of the subject in interviews, along the lines of "some of my best friends are black".

Interestingly, though, I can't find anything about that online, anymore. Maybe he has had those stories taken down. (or I'm just shit at google)

kngen

If it has one saving grace, it's that it will probably really annoy Billy Milano who is (quelle surprise!) a genuine MAGA-totin' racist idiot these days, and who has been making some pretty horrendous antisemitic smears against Scott Ian online in the last couple of years.

McFlymo

Quote from: kngen on May 17, 2020, 04:17:15 PM
If it has one saving grace, it's that it will probably really annoy Billy Milano who is (quelle surprise!) a genuine MAGA-totin' racist idiot these days, and who has been making some pretty horrendous antisemitic smears against Scott Ian online in the last couple of years.

So Scott Ian wrote the S.O.D lyrics in jest, but it turns out the singer took them all seriously?

kngen

Well, I don't know how seriously he took them back then (although he did write the lyrics for the extremely reactionary Public Assistance by Agnostic Front around the same time) and MOD's lyrics were hardly any more enlightened, but, yeah, he was always a dick, so I can't say I was hugely surprised to discover that he is now a living version of the caricature he insisted was just a joke back then.

idunnosomename

at first i thought Ian had an Arghoslent shirt on. that would've been bad huh. but it's hardcore band Agnostic Front?

McFlymo

I think that's the nail in the coffin for me and my love of Patton. I imagine he thinks he's being clever and vague with it all, playing devil's advocate by not really choosing a side, but also hinting that he might be. Twattery of the highest order. He's officially over.

This is kind of emotional for me. I've been into Patton's work for over 30 years like. I just can't get on board with this shit, anymore. Especially with the world the way it is, today: Rising fascism, Trump, alt.right fuckery. People with a platform should be standing against this shit, not being vague about it or supporting it. Fucking cunts.

kngen

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 18, 2020, 12:38:28 AM
at first i thought Ian had an Arghoslent shirt on. that would've been bad huh. but it's hardcore band Agnostic Front?

Yeah, it's an AF shirt. They're no angels, but definitely not in the same league of total racist cuntery as Arghoslent.

kngen

Quote from: kngen on May 17, 2020, 08:40:09 PM
Well, I don't know how seriously he took them back then (although he did write the lyrics for the extremely reactionary Public Assistance by Agnostic Front around the same time) and MOD's lyrics were hardly any more enlightened, but, yeah, he was always a dick, so I can't say I was hugely surprised to discover that he is now a living version of the caricature he insisted was just a joke back then.

Realised that I didn't make it clear I was talking about Billy Milano here.

alan nagsworth

Why the fuck does this exist, I don't understand