Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

never played silent hill two before

Started by PlanktonSideburns, May 17, 2020, 01:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

what a gap in gameplay! firing it up now with all the lights off

fuck fuck fuck

looks gourgeous in weird re-touched pixellation via emulator - though a little bit washed out in color pallette - why all the ps2 stuff so grey?

PlanktonSideburns

loving the weird, stilted dialouge, - its perfect tonally so far - just had a weird unncanny conversation in the church

there better not be any monsters in this game

PlanktonSideburns

the weird bobbing camera and the fog is very atmospheric too

i recon the fog in that southland tales film must have been inspired by this

bgmnts

I don't like playing it because it makes me really uncomfortable.

PlanktonSideburns

yea its definatley making me feel very bad

but also very distracted from THESE TIMES WE HAVE NOW

which might be good for me

PlanktonSideburns

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT BIKE WHEEL SOUND

PlanktonSideburns

Osmium

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Fr.Bigley

Never played with myself the freezer section of Asda but I know it's fun.

Bazooka

I hope you enjoy, well I mean you better bloody enjoy it. Save your handgun bullets or dogs and moths and bosses. Use melee (not the knife) for everything else, you'll get the axe if you haven't already in the Antiques Shop.

2 is the best, and well one of the best games made not just for the genre.

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on May 17, 2020, 01:52:15 PM
I don't like playing it because it makes me really uncomfortable.

Yeah, I have the same issue with the Silent Hill games.  I've never played Silent Hill 2, but I have played the first and third games.  In both cases, I gave up halfway through.  I admire the craft, but it's all so unrelentingly grim and as such, just not much fun to actually play.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Lucky you. It's high on the list of arty stuff that I wish I could experience afresh again.

As much as we may lament the decline and fall of the series, I wonder if it had much left to say anyway. I'm not much of a writer, but it feels like the best subsequent games could have hoped to achieve was to repeat 2's formula.

Pink Gregory

The only thing to have scared me so much as to have to turn it off.

Thursday

The game is a perfect storm of something with artistic intent being given a big budget, a team of talented people who had interesting and different ways of approaching things, and even bits you could argue are just bad, sort of work for the game.

The CGI somehow still doesn't feel like it's aged - objectively it obviously has in some ways, but it's such a unique style that it works. The voice acting and dialogue work for it despite it technically being quite unprofessional and stilted. The awkward fighting mechanics work because, James obviously isn't supposed to be proficient with weapons. That might be the fanboy in me making excuses for it, but I honestly think it all comes together, even where some bits may not have been intentional or were just what they had to work with.

Poobum

This is the game that really allowed me to appreciate let's plays, because there is no way I could ever finish this game on my own. I've tried, and on average lasted about twenty minutes each session. As said, the mechanics and storytelling work, and the way the world is laid out almost like a real town, with different areas gated off in such a way that confusion and panic can cause you to get completely lost and confused. The way the radio works is utter and simple genius, it just drives you insane.