Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ready meal delivery? For an oldish person?

Started by wooders1978, May 17, 2020, 04:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooders1978

Mum was critically ill at the start of March and spent several weeks in hospital, as a result I've been here caring for her ever since, so now she is basically recovered I am gearing up to go home

One major concern I have is about her getting access to healthy and decent food because a) she is still a bit unsteady so I don't really want her arsing about with hot pans and ovens b) even if that wasn't the case she hates cooking to the point where she just won't bother

So basically I am looking for a reliable and healthy ready meal supplier which she can just bung in the microwave if anyone has any recommendations? She's a bit proud to sign up for meals on wheels

Fr.Bigley

Wiltshire farm foods; they'll sell all the usual shite old People ate post war and at inflated prices..they'll even put it in the freezer for you if you like..

wooders1978

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on May 17, 2020, 04:37:25 PM
Wiltshire farm foods; they'll sell all the usual shite old People ate post war and at inflated prices..they'll even put it in the freezer for you if you like..

Cheers, I live in Wiltshire so will have a gander

Dex Sawash

Huel-type drinks if she can stomach them. I like a Soylent when I can't be bothered to cook/eat but know I need to eat.

Parsley Box deliver a range of vacuum-packed meals you don't need to refrigerate or freeze and which can be microwaved. They all seem to be in the £3 to £4 range. Never actually tried them (only considered them for my own parents) but they have a rating of 'Excellent' on Trust Pilot from over ten thousand reviews so they must either be (a) providing a genuinely decent service or (b) paying a lot of mercenary wankers to pretend they are.   

Zetetic

https://www.cookfood.net/ is alright for the most part, if a bit overpriced. Not everything is microwaveable, however, as warning.

It might be worth looking for actual farm shops in the area selling their own ready meals. Not uncommon.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Hello is that Faggots R Us? I'd like to order a delivery...

ollyboro

Pizza, kebabs, Chinese, Indian... there's loads of places that deliver. Most of it has vegetables either in the dish or as a side salad.

Captain Crunch

I don't know where you get it but they still make Complan which is Huel from the past.

If this is for a short period search for a mutual aid group on Google or Facebook.  Near me the central mosque is producing and helping to deliver something amazing like 800 hot meals a day.  Maybe give the local foodbank or Virus Helpline a call and see if she can be added to the list? 

Butchers Blind

Dewt

During a very low period in my life I couldn't deal with the idea of cooking so I started ordering myself Wiltshire Farm. The delivery driver came and I put on a little act about it being for an elderly relative who lives with me and needed something to eat while I was at work. There was me passing on instructions about letting it sit after heating to complete the cooking process to an imaginary nan because I'd got the idea in my head that you weren't allowed to just order Wiltshire Farms for yourself

Sebastian Cobb

I suppose it's better than eating a fray bentos out the tin, with an argos catalogue on your lap to stop it burning your legs.

imitationleather

Quote from: Dewt on May 17, 2020, 07:47:55 PM
During a very low period in my life I couldn't deal with the idea of cooking so I started ordering myself Wiltshire Farm. The delivery driver came and I put on a little act about it being for an elderly relative who lives with me and needed something to eat while I was at work. There was me passing on instructions about letting it sit after heating to complete the cooking process to an imaginary nan because I'd got the idea in my head that you weren't allowed to just order Wiltshire Farms for yourself

This is actually pretty clever. Did you get any of the pureed meals for when you were too depressed to chew?

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2020, 07:53:23 PM
I suppose it's better than eating a fray bentos out the tin, with an argos catalogue on your lap to stop it burning your legs.

You're a god to me.

wooders1978

Thanks peeps - she's on the milkshake things already but I'd like her to supplement it with actual food
Some good suggestions here - thanks folks

Rev+

Meals on Wheels is actually pretty shit hot these days - I mean, you're basically just getting a takeaway every day after all.  It varies by county but the gran has just signed up for it (one of her friends did it first so that means it's alright, it's not like she's admitting to being old or anything at 94).  It's a fiver a pop around here for a meal and a pudding, and is stuff I'd consider eating myself.

Abnormal Palm

Cyanide in a pot noodle but depends how much the old crow is worth

Agreed that Meals on Wheels are a pretty good option - the kitchens are usually operated by the local council and inspected by their environmental health officers (well that's the case round my way and I assume it's the same around the country). Age UK often have details of similar services too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on May 17, 2020, 07:55:19 PM
This is actually pretty clever. Did you get any of the pureed meals for when you were too depressed to chew?

Oooh, meat blancmange. My favourite.

Fr.Bigley

wooders1978

Quote from: the on May 18, 2020, 11:29:14 AM
Kilroy.jpg

Haha - I'd love to look like Kilroy at this stage of my life mind you, a silver haired fox, as it stands I look like someone who very probably has an unflattering nickname

Just checked out Wiltshire foods, I'll have a job on to convince her to get switched onto that

Checked into meals on wheels - the youguv website is fucking useless as usual, they surely must be aware of all the rabbit holes in their site? Purposely added one suspects, so the likes of me think " fuckit, too hard"

Have you checked your local (or county?) council website rather than the central govt? Councils usually have details about meals on wheels in their area. Also Age UK.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: bgmnts on May 18, 2020, 06:12:25 PM
Papa Johns.

Isn't he a right little shit as well?

Replies From View

Old people enjoy chicken in tins, don't they?

The way the flesh falls off the bone, reminds them to have a bath.

Inspector Norse

Flatulent Fox

Fk,
     My brothers and me love the Wiltshere Farmfoods ads - the ones with short arse Ronnie only.
There were some crazed remixes all over the Youtubes a while back.

I'll return with some ammo about this.Sort of half hoped Corbie would deliver them himself - that'd been good.

Kryton

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 17, 2020, 04:50:47 PM
Huel-type drinks if she can stomach them. I like a Soylent when I can't be bothered to cook/eat but know I need to eat.

Second this. Not tried it myself but I knew a few who have and it's apparently really supplemental, pretty much everything you need. Obviously work other meals around it.
As for your main question, I'm sorry I'm not sure, but good luck!

wooders1978

Thanks guys - she is on those milkshake things already which is good, appreciate the advice though