Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Old puzzle games that got kinda forgotten about but are still pretty good

Started by peanutbutter, May 17, 2020, 07:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Remember Meteos? 88 on Metacritic, I remember some places giving it a higher score than Lumines when they both came out. Designed by Masahiro Sakurai, produced by Tetsuya Mizuguchi, directed by... some other person. I always found it a bit unwieldy and random tbh but people seemed to like it.
There was one sequel, Disney themed for some reason and that was it.

Or how about Klax? Haven't played it in ages and ages but I remember it being pretty good.

I remember back circa 2005 or so downloading Super Picross and being really surprised that it was so fun, that franchise came back pretty strongly on the DS since though.

I liked zoocube on the gba and that yoshi's egg game on the gameboy.
Tidy up games really rather than puzzle games, I don't like proper strict, one solution games where you have to think too much and you can get stuck. Frustrating.
Bust a move/puzzle bobble on the neo geo is one of my favourites.

Sorry, I think zoocube is the only one that qualifies as a game that people might have forgotten about.

edit: Oh yeah, Meteos I had that. Unwieldy is the word! Trying the flick up with the stylus, ugh, would have worked with a mouse but it was just infuriating with the crappy touch screen stylus thing.

Pink Gregory

Fond memories of the Incredible Machine; maybe a bit too much *bit too the left, bit to the left, down a bit* in places, but who doesn't love a Rube Goldberg machine?

Abnormal Palm

I pounded the gaping cavernous pristine bleached asshole off Zoo Keeper on the DS.

mikeyg27

I've filled a lot of my lockdown time with Wetrix. In fact, I suspect I have the most Wetrix playing time in the world for the last two months. I probably don't still don't have the highest score in the world in that time though, because I suck.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 17, 2020, 08:08:42 PMI pounded the gaping cavernous pristine bleached asshole off Zoo Keeper on the DS.

Oh, that looks like bejewelled. I played that a lot.

Fr.Bigley

Not a puzzler in the truest sense but I've been knocking shit out of bust a move on the PS1. Nostalgia and bright colours n that.

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 17, 2020, 08:27:03 PM
Oh, that looks like bejewelled. I played that a lot.

Appreciate the reminder, I should have also mentioned the jewelled butt plug which I inserted into Zoo Keeper on the DS.

Sin Agog

Meteos is a lot better if you play it on a 3DS XL and just use your fingers thanks to the added screen size.  There's no way a game that frantic won't scratch your screen tae fuck otherwise.

868-Hack on IOS was my jam.  Only game I ever hit the worldwide top ten for.  Well, I have played a few games with fuck all players that don't count.

peanutbutter

not sure if it's forgotten or not but Drop7 on iOS was a peach, 10/10 on Edge seemed a bit mad though (that's the only reason I played it first, mind)

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 17, 2020, 08:33:53 PM
Meteos is a lot better if you play it on a 3DS XL and just use your fingers thanks to the added screen size.  There's no way a game that frantic won't scratch your screen tae fuck otherwise.
Have a New 3DS XL these days so I'll give it a revisit. It does all feel kinda oddly lacking for a Q Entertainment game though

Jim Bob

There was a really good puzzle game from around a decade ago that I played the demo of from the coverdisc of a PC gaming magazine.  It was one of those games where you had to align mirrors to reflect a beam of light to a target (overhead 2D).  However, I cannae find it through Google.  I think it was called something like Secrets of the Ankh (it had an Egyptian theme).  I'd love to play it again, so if anyone can find it, I'd be eternally grateful.

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 17, 2020, 08:08:42 PM
I pounded the gaping cavernous pristine bleached asshole off Zoo Keeper on the DS.

Dewt

Jerzy Bondov

I liked Polarium on the DS and I played it a lot on the train. Can't remember what it was about though.

edit: Just watched a video and ah fuck yeah I remember this. You draw lines on a grid while stuff drops down from above. It was great.

Guru Logi Champ for the GBA. Amazing. Little duck-looking guys fire blocks out of a cannon onto a rotating playfield to complete pictures. There's a fun story going on (albeit all in Japanese) and the music is ace. Get that ROM downloaded.

Apparently there was a DSiware version of it too called Snapdots, but nobody owned a DSi, let alone bought stuff from it's shop.

Jerzy Bondov

Baku Baku Animal on Sega Saturn was off its nut, those mad munching animal heads were horrific to behold, like a Five Nights at Freddie's thing except fun to play.

Thursday

edit ignore

Jim Bob

Quote from: Dewt on May 17, 2020, 09:06:13 PM
This sounds like one of those things that feels like it should be a decade ago but was actually 1998

No, I'm pretty sure that it was around a decade ago (based upon where I was living when I played the demo in question).  A quick look at the Wiki entry for PC Gamer (the magazine it was most likely to be) states that their coverdiscs weren't discontinued until September of 2011.

BJBMK2

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 17, 2020, 08:13:39 PM
I've filled a lot of my lockdown time with Wetrix. In fact, I suspect I have the most Wetrix playing time in the world for the last two months. I probably don't still don't have the highest score in the world in that time though, because I suck.

Fantastic gem of a game, that. You've made me dig out my dusty old N64 cartridge, still holds up pretty well I reckon.

RE-PAIR-BO-NUS

Dewt

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 18, 2020, 04:55:57 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that it was around a decade ago (based upon where I was living when I played the demo in question).  A quick look at the Wiki entry for PC Gamer (the magazine it was most likely to be) states that their coverdiscs weren't discontinued until September of 2011.
That is surprising

Famous Mortimer

Bit of "Sokoban" on the Commodore 64, anyone? It's just a casual phone game these days, but I spent a heck of a lot of time on that as a young un.