Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee upsets the JC

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 17, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Stewart Lee did an article where he took the piss out of the surname 'Tugendhat' and Boris Johnson.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/17/now-boris-johnson-is-talking-through-his-tugendhat?CMP=share_btn_tw

The right appear to not like the point he's making, so are going off claiming it's antisemitic to take the piss out of the name, the editor of the The JC has written an article about it.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/my-father-changed-his-name-because-of-people-like-stewart-lee-nothing-changes-1.499839

Micheal Legge has been defending him.

Twit 2

They might have a point if mocking his name was tied in some way to his religion, "Jewishness", heritage, whatever you want to call it. But it's not, it's just "silly name". 50% of all Lee articles is just messing around with people's names. If anything, he should be praised for his inclusivity. I'm betting if the spirit of this article wasn't "the government are cunts" it wouldn't be getting the scrutiny. They are clutching at straws. And what kind of supine, diseased mind would you have to have to look at the murderous incompetence of the charlatans in charge and decide what's really abhorrent is someone taking the piss out of a person's name in the attempt to point that out?

lankyguy95

I highly doubt there was any antisemitism in mind when he wrote that.

However, Lee's column is abysmal. Lazy, witless shit. Pointing out a funny name? Just claim some irony, Stew, and watch your fans shout words like "subversive" just as quickly as Gervais' fans do.

Twit 2

He's trust trolling the Graun and paying off his mortgage. He's quite capable of being funny in written form, to which his stand up transcript books attest.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Twit 2 on May 17, 2020, 08:31:32 PM
He's quite capable of being funny in written form, to which his stand up transcript books attest.
I know, How I Escaped My Certain Fate is one of the best books about stand up ever in my opinion.

His columns are terrible.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 17, 2020, 08:25:33 PM
I highly doubt there was any antisemitism in mind when he wrote that.

However, Lee's column is abysmal. Lazy, witless shit. Pointing out a funny name? Just claim some irony, Stew, and watch your fans shout words like "subversive" just as quickly as Gervais' fans do.

Similar feelings about a lot of Lee's Graun output. Tone and delivery often non-existent

Jumblegraws

Lee has criticised comedians who prioritise their intentions over a greater duty to discretion. He has also criticised people who other individuals for their perceived foreignness, even if it's done without maliciousness.

Lee has fallen short of those standards, imo. I don't care about his wanky habit of playing around with people's names, any more than I excuse people using racist idioms because the import of what they're saying doesn't occur to them. It might seem ridiculous to a fair few people on these forums, but when your surname betrays your lack of WASP pedigree in the UK, having the piss taken out of it has more force than it would otherwise.

I think the JC article is stretching a point by saying he was deliberately invoking antisemitic tropes and they are lapdogging to the tories as usual. And the point Lee is making is obviously more urgent than a rum bit of pisstaking, but he could have done the former without the latter.

Also fuck Legge for pulling the "faux-outrage" chestnut beloved of anti-woke grifters everywhere.

Sin Agog

Canne be asked to read this particular article, but he's clearly going for a Lester Bangs/Julian Cope-style badinage whenever he puts on his column writing hat which he's possibly a bit too normal to pull off.

Captain Z

People down here on the left laughing at that one. But the people on the right going 'oh, look, some words. That one looks like it could be antisemitic'.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

All The boys and girls of CaB who are also big fans of The Fall ( as is Mr.Lee  of course), will have appreciated the reference to a 1983 vintage song by The gruppe right at the start of the article, natch.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Nah I think it's fair to mock someone for a "foreign" name if the person is a white conservative bell-end who supports CONTROL ARE BOARDERS. Also, the crowd at the Jewish Chronicle should stop masturbating over pictures of dead Palestinian children.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 17, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
All The boys and girls of CaB who are also big fans of The Fall ( as is Mr.Lee  of course), will have appreciated the reference to a 1983 vintage song by The gruppe right at the start of the article, natch.

Hasn't M.E.S. name-checked Lee in his lyrics a few times?  And more in a 'Lee, Lee, do you like me now, Lee?  Lee, Lee, do--' baiting way than anything complimentary.  Glad to see Stew hasn't held a grudge.

Non Stop Dancer

The origin of the name would never have occurred to me and I can't imagine it would to most non Jewish people. Think I might have considered it more carefully if I were writing an article for a national paper though, even if only because "foreign name lol" is the best case scenario here and that doesn't show Lee in a good light. As yer man up there said, he's fallen short of his own standards.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 17, 2020, 08:53:26 PM

lest we also forget 'a jew on a motorbike'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Par for the course for the JC to log the (really quite short) list of prominent left-leaning public figures in the UK and then at any given opportunity single them out. Articles like that one above do far more damage to the public opinion of Jews and to the level of antisemitism over the long run than the piece they are attacking, as well as failing to acknowledge the rich comic heritage of Jewish culture of which a significant part has been making the exact same type of jokes and zoning in on the same sort of material as Lee did.

It's a pity the horrendous right-wing publication didn't close in April after all.

https://pressgazette.co.uk/cash-donors-save-jewish-chronicle-from-grave-closure-threat/

However when it pumps out insultingly tedious tendentious boringness of that kind, which has so little relevance to the lives, interests and day-to-day experiences of British Jews (who unlike this arch-political platform do not cry foul at every given opportunity) is it any wonder the circulation continues to fall? Most people, Jewish or otherwise are not relentlessly po-faced agenda-pushing hypocrites.

Even that article above includes just an absurd, unchecked level of focus on the Labour Party.

Brundle-Fly

This isn't the time for ambiguity, or irony, or publicity-seeking controversy. Those days are gone, and I miss them, as I am part of a generation that profiteered from the assumption that political correctness was a done deal, and now we could have fun jumping in and out of its boundaries, like street kids round a spurting water main. But the Nazi-saluting pug bloke has just joined Ukip so his racist dog doesn't seem remotely funny any more.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 17, 2020, 08:58:38 PM
Hasn't M.E.S. name-checked Lee in his lyrics a few times?  And more in a 'Lee, Lee, do you like me now, Lee?  Lee, Lee, do--' baiting way than anything complimentary.  Glad to see Stew hasn't held a grudge.

Yeah, " why are people grudgeful?", Stew has probably reasoned to himself.
Actually thought that was on of SL's better Observer articles, quite savagely satirical, with some heartfelt sentiment to it, rather than just messing about.

He clearly learned nothing from the race row that instantly followed him joking about Ang Lee's name.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 17, 2020, 09:23:25 PM
He clearly learned nothing from the race row that instantly followed him joking about Ang Lee's name.

Or Kofi Annan

Danger Man

Heaven: Lee does stand-up and Herring writes a newspaper column.

Hell: I think you can guess this one.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Danger Man on May 17, 2020, 10:05:10 PM
Heaven: Lee does stand-up and Herring writes a newspaper column.

Hell: I think you can guess this one.

Danger Man does standup and a newspaper column?

Sebastian Cobb

The intellectual heavyweights are weighing in now.

Shout out to the Irish for thing it's best an armed squaddie from Newcastle should be the arbiter of how their name is spelled.

idunnosomename

I THOUGHT THE JC WAS FUCKING DEAD WHY WONT IT FUCK OFF

chveik

C_Larence

This is the same JC that recently defended Michael Gove for owning a book by famous holocaust denier David Irving.
https://www.thejc.com/comment/comment/one-stupid-tweet-by-owen-jones-confirms-all-you-need-to-know-about-the-hard-left-1.499433

C_Larence

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 17, 2020, 10:59:51 PM
I THOUGHT THE JC WAS FUCKING DEAD WHY WONT IT FUCK OFF

Ironically this is what the jews were saying 2000 years ago

Captain Z

Jewish Chronicle
Jesus Christ
Jeremy Corbyn

Makes u think.

idunnosomename

Quote from: C_Larence on May 17, 2020, 11:03:36 PM
Ironically this is what the jews were saying 2000 years ago
fuckers

jobotic

Any criticism of the government is AS now, and there is nothing the right can do to be called out on the same.

Good thing that the JC is the voice of British Jewish people in the same way that Linehan is the voice of Lesbians.

pcsjwgm

I checked Pollard's Twitter feed and he's been retweeting the absolute worst people: Daniel Hannan, Sajid Javid, leekern, Nuddering, Tugendhat himself. Tugendhat is maliciously claiming that Lee's column is asserting that there's a Jewish conspiracy to take over Britain. What an awful prick.

https://twitter.com/TomTugendhat/status/1261990628398895104

I'm sorry but no. The idea of uppity foreigner coming over here and conspiring to take power is literally the archetypal antisemitic trope. It is so standard it's dull but that doesn't make it any less true. The search into my name shows he knows the origins. It's not new.

And in a world inhabited by likes of David Quantick, David Baddiel, and Graham Linehan, leekern manages to be the worst comedy writer cunt on Twitter. An out-and-out racist who smears Palestinians as gay-killing jihadist savages (while predictably saying nothing in support of groups like Al Qaws) who are fully responsible for the IDF killing Palestinian children, and believes that Gazans' hostility towards Israel is purely a result of anti-semitism and not the horrific siege placed on them.
https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1130128396359479296
https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1128412503736815617
https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1128414370206294017
https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1125324341040881664
https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1125323580856774656

Quote from: jobotic on May 18, 2020, 12:15:13 AM
Any criticism of the government is AS now, and there is nothing the right can do to be called out on the same.

It's anti-Asian, too: https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/1262000760226754560