Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 08:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee upsets the JC

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 17, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Cold Meat Platter

Youtube is shit because Paul Joseph Watson and Logan Paul are on there and I affect a belief that I have to watch them.

keir

Youtube is shit because anything old on it is infested with tragic international gammons in the comments going "they did whatever this is properly in the olden days, not like the modern rubbish. I suppose the PC brigade wouldn't allow this sort of juggling, or whatever it is, now."

Cold Meat Platter

Makes no difference to the video.

keir

True. And where else am I going to learn that Yoko Ono killed Kurt Cobain.

Cold Meat Platter

Dewt

There's some good content on there if you don't mind compromising your immune system.

Jerzy Bondov

On Twitter: Why shouldn't I get in a bubble? Is the idea that if I spend my leisure time online reading things I don't agree with I'll somehow develop as a person? And then what? I'll die. Total waste of time.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 11:05:57 PM
Oh boy it's the form of argument based on projecting intentions on others to attack the source of the argument instead of saying anything cogent

thank fuck this cycle will repeat until the end of time, it's brilliant

What in the fuck are you talking about?

Cardenio I

Quote from: pigamus on May 19, 2020, 11:10:34 PM
> 99% of twitter is shit

> This is you:  "I hate that you have to use those XBox controllers to use Twitter. I don't understand all the buttons. A? X? Make it simple and just have words!"

> Why are you being so oddly defensive?"

Dewt

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 20, 2020, 01:00:04 AM
Youtube is shit because Paul Joseph Watson and Logan Paul are on there and I affect a belief that I have to watch them.

YouTube does have appalling comments which enable and normalise bigotry but moreover appalling content which has proliferated fake news and harmful conspiracy theories, doing enough damage that adopting a 'if you don't like it don't look at it' position is naive and unsatisfactory.

However even withstanding that, those issues are not analogous to the issues I have with Twitter which are more more to do with what is particular to the format: the blue tick cult of celebrity and everything that comes with it, the fertile breeding ground for moral midgetry, one-upmanship and witch hunting that sucks in previously sane rational people into its vortex, the incessant rumour-mongering and lack of rigour, the notion that a snappy one liner is the same or greater than a measured and qualified response, the lack of depth and pause for reflection... but my primary issue is how each of those elements interact with each other and what kind of an atmosphere that creates, whether it's a trail of tweets from a lobby correspondent about a political event or whether it's a seemingly harmless hobbyist discussion, you can sense the dynamic at all times. .

Obviously discussion forums and other social media like Facebook have elements of this which fluctuate, but there is a particular performative quality to Twitter which appears to be based on a sense of reward/satisfaction incentivising the need to ramp that behaviour up even more for the next hit. Its poisonously hierarchical nature and the gallery playing is at the forefront more and taints even the most notionally benign interactions.

Dewt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2020, 09:23:26 AM
However even withstanding that, those issues are not analogous to the issues
This is an absolute masterclass in starting a paragraph that nobody is going to want to read.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 09:25:25 AM
This is an absolute masterclass in starting a paragraph that nobody is going to want to read.

You must be getting very bored with the current coronavirus situation or perhaps struggling the pollen count, because the percentage of your totally cunty shitty posts is even higher than normal, and your ability to hold a conversation at anything less than fever pitch has dissipated to zero. That isn't something I want further involvement with. I won't be interacting with you further on this topic no matter how many times you diarrhoea over it or what totally cunty shitty behaviour you display towards me or others.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 09:22:11 AM
You are a Holocaust denier

Is this where I say "no I'm not" and you say "ahhh, why are you being so weirdly defensive" and it's an amazing gotcha moment and not a pointless exercise in making yourself look like a massive bellend.

Dewt

I just wanted to annoy shoulders and stop you talking about Twitter. This is has been a rare success.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 09:25:25 AM

I actually skipped that paragraph straight to this comment, which made me laugh.

I tried to read it again cos I suspect I actually partly agree with Shoulders, but he used the phrase 'moral midgetry' a few words later so I bailed again.

dissolute ocelot

All things are shit in a combination of the same way and different ways. Simples.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 20, 2020, 09:23:26 AM
YouTube does have appalling comments which enable and normalise bigotry but moreover appalling content which has proliferated fake news and harmful conspiracy theories, doing enough damage that adopting a 'if you don't like it don't look at it' position is naive and unsatisfactory.

However even withstanding that, those issues are not analogous to the issues I have with Twitter which are more more to do with what is particular to the format: the blue tick cult of celebrity and everything that comes with it, the fertile breeding ground for moral midgetry, one-upmanship and witch hunting that sucks in previously sane rational people into its vortex, the incessant rumour-mongering and lack of rigour, the notion that a snappy one liner is the same or greater than a measured and qualified response, the lack of depth and pause for reflection... but my primary issue is how each of those elements interact with each other and what kind of an atmosphere that creates, whether it's a trail of tweets from a lobby correspondent about a political event or whether it's a seemingly harmless hobbyist discussion, you can sense the dynamic at all times. .

Obviously discussion forums and other social media like Facebook have elements of this which fluctuate, but there is a particular performative quality to Twitter which appears to be based on a sense of reward/satisfaction incentivising the need to ramp that behaviour up even more for the next hit. Its poisonously hierarchical nature and the gallery playing is at the forefront more and taints even the most notionally benign interactions.

This doesn't really feel like it has attempted to explore what people get out of using it. Even groups that get lots of unwarranted abuse must be getting some good out of it.

Dewt

It's an opinion of somebody who had never read a tweet beginning with "1/"

Dewt

And is of course absolute bollocks. Any day on Twitter I can guarantee that I will get to read a threaded development diary of experimental game ideas complete with pictures and video and fast discussion about ideas, maybe even problem-solving a coding problem with the community. I will see at least one lengthy heated argument. One liners too, but not exclusively. I just had a discussion about over abstraction in software architecture and was regaled with a story about being drunk at Disneyland. It's just the same as any public forum except that more people use it.

Lack of reflection? It's the only place I can guarantee to find navel gazing on demand.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 10:16:03 AM
And is of course absolute bollocks. Any day on Twitter I can guarantee that I will get to read a threaded development diary of experimental game ideas complete with pictures and video and fast discussion about ideas, maybe even problem-solving a coding problem with the community. I will see at least one lengthy heated argument. One liners too, but not exclusively. I just had a discussion about over abstraction in software architecture and was regaled with a story about being drunk at Disneyland. It's just the same as any public forum except that more people use it.

Lack of reflection? It's the only place I can guarantee to find navel gazing on demand.

I find infosec twitter quite wild. A lot of 'professionals' so desperate to shake off the dweeby hacker stereotype they've turned themselves into soulless husks that protect the interests of some of the worst and unfair companies going.

Dewt

I hate that community so much. Full of people with a rock star complex but is also inexplicably dull and uncreative

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 20, 2020, 10:02:39 AM
This doesn't really feel like it has attempted to explore what people get out of using it. Even groups that get lots of unwarranted abuse must be getting some good out of it.

It wouldn't because it's restricted to the criticisms. Nowhere is it stated or implied that people don't find Twitter useful. I hadn't realised it would be necessary to point that out, I just assumed basic good faith on the part of anyone reading. It can be seen from the post that what is good and what is bad aren't mutually exclusive. My view is the dynamic of the platform changes people's behaviour on it negatively, infecting the good to the point of spoiling it irrevocably. Can two individuals still have a normal interchange on it? Yes. That doesn't the undermine the wider point.

Your second sentence doesn't account for a rather serious factor which is that addiction may feel like you are getting something good out of it at the time but that doesn't mean it is actually good for you.

Dewt

the wider point was that it couldn't foster anything positive

but I see that is being rolled back

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 05:17:07 PM
the wider point was that it couldn't foster anything positive

but I see that is being rolled back

Clearly you are just going to camp in here and diarrhoea over everything like a baby rather than allow me to discuss this topic with other people. You win, you rubbish shitty wanker. I've said my piece and others will make up their own minds.

Dewt

Babies are well known for pointing out flaws in arguments

madhair60

You're being wry but I actually have lost an argument with a baby before. It was about tits

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 03:19:20 PM
I hate that community so much. Full of people with a rock star complex but is also inexplicably dull and uncreative

https://twitter.com/paulrobichaux/status/1263151856961892360

LOL