Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:32:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee upsets the JC

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 17, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 17, 2020, 10:39:12 PM
The intellectual heavyweights are weighing in now.

Shout out to the Irish for thing it's best an armed squaddie from Newcastle should be the arbiter of how their name is spelled.
That's one hell of a self-own from Oberman there. Imagine not knowing where "O'Brien" comes from.

I don't think the name-mocking thing was really up to Lee's usual standards, and he should probably have checked its origin before he did his column. Pollard is a shit and a half, though, of course (not specifically for the column, just for being a massive Tory). I have about as much time for him as I do for Richard Littlejohn. I don't know who can learn of his NHS-abolitionist views and think "this is a decent person".

Twit 2

Is JO'B only defending Lee because the latter's endorsement bizarrely adorns the former's "How to be a Cunt" book? Quid pro quo.

markburgle

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 17, 2020, 08:58:38 PM
Hasn't M.E.S. name-checked Lee in his lyrics a few times?  And more in a 'Lee, Lee, do you like me now, Lee?  Lee, Lee, do--' baiting way than anything complimentary.  Glad to see Stew hasn't held a grudge.

Nothing on a record, just some live ad libs (according to him). It was always obvious he found it funny whenever he's mentioned it

chrispmartha

Quote from: canadagoose on May 18, 2020, 02:39:38 AM
That's one hell of a self-own from Oberman there. Imagine not knowing where "O'Brien" comes from.

I don't think the name-mocking thing was really up to Lee's usual standards, and he should probably have checked its origin before he did his column. Pollard is a shit and a half, though, of course (not specifically for the column, just for being a massive Tory). I have about as much time for him as I do for Richard Littlejohn. I don't know who can learn of his NHS-abolitionist views and think "this is a decent person".

James O'Brien
@mrjamesob
On the other hand, I doubt he would have done same with a Chinese or African name so there is a problem here.

O'Brien with his own self own there.

Kofi Annan, Ang Lee?

fatuse

Cardenio I

Must everyone comment on everything that happens? Does every pissing concatenation of words that dribbles itself into the realm of the screenshottable and copy-and-pasteable have to be seized upon as a simply decoded gesture signifying some greater and more terrible statement which must be fought at all costs? Could we, for a minute, all just shut the fuck up?

magval

Quote from: chrispmartha on May 18, 2020, 08:03:27 AM
James O'Brien
@mrjamesob
On the other hand, I doubt he would have done same with a Chinese or African name so there is a problem here.

O'Brien with his own self own there.

Kofi Annan, Ang Lee?

James is a proven fan of Rich and Stew going back to the 90s material and I imagine he knows rightly about those routines.

dissolute ocelot

I wonder how many of these right-wingers like Tugendhat spoke out when the Daily Mail was questioning the patriotism of those dirty foreigners Ralph and Ed Milliband.

Armin Meiwes

Ugh don't even know where to start with this shit, I never would have guessed Tugendhat was a Jewish name, so I cant see how Lee would have known either. My granddad also changed his name (although must be the only person that Anglicised his surname but massively jew-ified his first, the big idiot!) but he didn't do it because people were laughing at his surname he did it because he knew that his, and more pressingly, his kids life chances would be compromised by being obviously Jewish at that point in time. For the living embodiment of white middle class privately educated privilege, Tracy Ann Oberman, to pipe up about this nothing issue - desperate for that dopamine hit of reflected racism - makes me sick. If she'd ever reflected for even a second on the fact that black and Asian people, for whom she had not a word about the dangers they face under a Tory govt and who CANT just change their name so they can be treated like everyone else, her concerns might seem at least a tiny bit genuine. But she doesn't actually care about "racism" beyond where she can get some personal advantage. Not even going to bother commenting on Pollard because at least the guy is barely even pretending to be anything other than a Tory using all this shit to bash "the left".

ajsmith2

Quote from: fatuse on May 18, 2020, 09:09:01 AM
nutters everywhere *eye roll to the sky (sky roll)*
https://twitter.com/BusbyFHumblebee/status/1262289153129152513

Looking at the wording of the petition I think (hope?) it's possible this isn't being proposed entirely seriously.

https://www.change.org/p/the-guardian-fire-stewart-lee-for-antisemitism

Armin Meiwes

Very annoyed now! Deep breaths!

phantom_power

Quote from: Jumblegraws on May 17, 2020, 08:38:50 PM

Also fuck Legge for pulling the "faux-outrage" chestnut beloved of anti-woke grifters everywhere.

Huh? Legge is very "woke" and is defending Lee. Do you have a link?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: phantom_power on May 18, 2020, 11:15:57 AM
Huh? Legge is very "woke" and is defending Lee. Do you have a link?

Presumably this:
https://twitter.com/howlieT/status/1262084368253796358

Seems reasonable to me.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Cardenio I on May 18, 2020, 09:13:07 AM
Must everyone comment on everything that happens? Does every pissing concatenation of words that dribbles itself into the realm of the screenshottable and copy-and-pasteable have to be seized upon as a simply decoded gesture signifying some greater and more terrible statement which must be fought at all costs? Could we, for a minute, all just shut the fuck up?

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

idunnosomename

I dont know who lee kern is but hes got the "followed by simon hedges" badge of merit

Petey Pate

Can't wait for the 45 minutes of material Stewart Lee will devote to this incident in his next stand up tour.

Sebastian Cobb

Another pearler from O'B here.

Thursday

Imagine taking something someone said the wrong way so you can accuse them of anti-semitism. I'm sure James O'Brien wouldn't be able to think of anyone left-wing that happened to in recent times.

Thursday

Honestly though, this seems like a weird oversight from Lee not to to think about what the origin of a name is and how it could be taken.

Old Thrashbarg

Does it seem like a weird oversight? When he's previously done multiple lengthy routines on names sounding like other things? And when every article he writes has multiple misspellings of names for comic effect?

It seems more like he largely doesn't care about the faux-outrage of idiots.

chveik

I can assure you that nobody has been offended by that column

clarkgwent

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 17, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
All The boys and girls of CaB who are also big fans of The Fall ( as is Mr.Lee  of course), will have appreciated the reference to a 1983 vintage song by The gruppe right at the start of the article, natch.

Also, further down,  the Goldie Lookin' Chain.

thenoise

Quote from: chrispmartha on May 18, 2020, 08:03:27 AM
James O'Brien
@mrjamesob
On the other hand, I doubt he would have done same with a Chinese or African name
He literally has an Asian surname.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: fatuse on May 18, 2020, 09:09:01 AM
nutters everywhere *eye roll to the sky (sky roll)*
https://twitter.com/BusbyFHumblebee/status/1262289153129152513

I enjoyed this fella disagreeing with himself from his other account and calling out his own grammar, which he has responded to with 'do one, word nonce' and then retweeted. I'm looking forward to his 'zine' and am very tempted to email him with an offer of work.

The Ang Lee thing wasn't racist because it blew up in the face of the Stewart Lee "character" in the story. He ends up the loser in that exchange, although I can't remember the whole bit. However, we, the audience, were laughing at the pun from the start and you have to consider that separately. Basically, don't make me Tom Tugendhat, you wouldn't like me when I'm Tom Tugendhat!

Egyptian Feast

The only thing about that change.org petition that made me chuckle was when I left it idle for a minute and came back to this notification.

Phil_A

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 18, 2020, 02:54:49 PM
I dont know who lee kern is but hes got the "followed by simon hedges" badge of merit

I suddenly realised I do know who he is, he used to loads of little short films on Channel 4 in the early 2000s. The Edgeware Walker and so on. Then he did a pretty dire prank show on E4 and I've not been interested enough to follow his career since.

Mildly disappointed he's turned out to be such a tit.

Tony Yeboah

Richard Herring has chipped in by tweeting he's been waiting 5 years for an apology, so don't your breath. Obviously referring to Stewarts' 2md appearance on RHLSTP.

JamesTC

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on May 18, 2020, 07:21:14 PM
Richard Herring has chipped in by tweeting he's been waiting 5 years for an apology, so don't your breath. Obviously referring to Stewarts' 2md appearance on RHLSTP.

Richard Herring will be next to be cancelled. He mocked the surname "Lee" by changing it to "Wee" when he worked in the phonebook.