Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,363
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:28:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee upsets the JC

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 17, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Phil_A on May 18, 2020, 07:13:54 PM
I suddenly realised I do know who he is, he used to loads of little short films on Channel 4 in the early 2000s. The Edgeware Walker and so on. Then he did a pretty dire prank show on E4 and I've not been interested enough to follow his career since.

Mildly disappointed he's turned out to be such a tit.

He's a massive cunt who devoted loads of time and energy to peddling bullshit against Corbyn. Fuck him.

QuotePeople have noted how Corbyn pronounced the name "Epstein"

He mispronounced it "Ep-SHTEIN" with the goal of otherising a Jewish name as much as possible - making Jews seem different - not us

You know who did something similar? Donald Trump when he tried to otherwise Jon Stewart

pigamus

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on May 18, 2020, 07:21:14 PM
Richard Herring has chipped in by tweeting he's been waiting 5 years for an apology, so don't your breath. Obviously referring to Stewarts' 2md appearance on RHLSTP.

Did a recording of that ever turn up?

Mister Six

Quote from: thecuriousorange on May 18, 2020, 06:43:42 PM
The Ang Lee thing wasn't racist because it blew up in the face of the Stewart Lee "character" in the story.

Did it? I thought it ended with the old two-thirty/tooth hurty gag.

TBH I tend to agree with Sin Agog on this one. The crux of the joke is that Tugendhat's name sounds funny to the English, the logical conclusion being that the name is not English. Which is basically just laughing at foreigners for being foreign - exactly the kind of small-minded, ignorant perspective that Lee likes to mock in others.

Only a desperate cunt would try to make out that this is antisemitic or has anything even slightly to do with antisemitism though.

(The Ang Lee gag was shit too, not least because Mandarin speakers don't have a problem confusing Ls and Rs - that's the Japanese. The whole joke felt like one of those Gervais-esque Biel of irony things, where the core of the joke is racist but it's said with a wink and somehow that makes it all right.)

Mister Six

Quote from: pigamus on May 18, 2020, 08:36:54 PM
Did a recording of that ever turn up?

What's the story there?

JamesTC

Quote from: Mister Six on May 18, 2020, 09:17:51 PM
What's the story there?

Stew was drunk and berated Rich over and over again to leave Avalon.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on May 18, 2020, 09:16:51 PM
TBH I tend to agree with Sin Agog on this one. The crux of the joke is that Tugendhat's name sounds funny to the English, the logical conclusion being that the name is not English. Which is basically just laughing at foreigners for being foreign - exactly the kind of small-minded, ignorant perspective that Lee likes to mock in others.

Wait, what?  I didn't offer any actual opinions here.  Just a couple of nothingy posts about Mark E. Smith and Lester Bangs.  You just be singling out the guy with the Jewish sounding username!  Interesting...  A certain CaB'er may be going on an involuntary kibbutz awful soon.

pigamus

Quote from: JamesTC on May 18, 2020, 09:31:08 PM
Stew was drunk and berated Rich over and over again to leave Avalon.

Surprised there's still bad blood over it five years on. Most people at the time seemed to think there was nothing in it.

Sebastian Cobb

There was another tweet from herring jokingly insinuating that Lee was the one dressing up as hitler. I don't know exactly where the joke lies with Herring, and I'm not going to follow him and read all the shit he types to gain a better understanding.

What seems a bit off to me is that if Herring genuinely was bothered, it seems a bit bad that he chose to put the [edited] podcast out, presumably to draw attention to his project and then make snipey comments about it. I wouldn't expect him to release it with it in, but he should either not release it or bite his fucking lip imo.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2020, 09:53:59 PM
There was another tweet from herring jokingly insinuating that Lee was the one dressing up as hitler. I don't know exactly where the joke lies with Herring, and I'm not going to follow him and read all the shit he types to gain a better understanding.

What seems a bit off to me is that if Herring genuinely was bothered, it seems a bit bad that he chose to put the [edited] podcast out, presumably to draw attention to his project and then make snipey comments about it. I wouldn't expect him to release it with it in, but he should either not release it or bite his fucking lip imo.

Herring seems genuinely proud of the fact that he spends some of his patreon money on camerapeople, lighting officers, sound colonels and the like.  He's clearly just highlighting the fact that he pays an editing major some of that money.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 18, 2020, 09:59:09 PM
Herring seems genuinely proud of the fact that he spends some of his patreon money on camerapeople, lighting officers, sound colonels and the like.  He's clearly just highlighting the fact that he pays an editing major some of that money.

Is the Avalon Episode the one which features Paul Putner and Trevor Lock at the end?

He's recently got some opening titles done. I wonder how much some video artist bilked out of him for that.
And all that money on filming and he still won't get a pair of lavalier mics.

Armin Meiwes

It's a bit ironic anyway because on further investigation I don't think Tugendhat actually IS even Jewish after all that.. I think his grandad was? So this is an army officer who went to St Paul's school who is not Jewish claiming someone taking the piss out of his name is being anti semitic.

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on May 18, 2020, 09:32:39 PM
Wait, what?  I didn't offer any actual opinions here.  Just a couple of nothingy posts about Mark E. Smith and Lester Bangs.  You just be singling out the guy with the Jewish sounding username!  Interesting...  A certain CaB'er may be going on an involuntary kibbutz awful soon.

Haha, sorry, I meant Jumblegraws, who posted just above you on page one.

Never occurred to me that Sin Agog = synagogue.

Captain Z

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 18, 2020, 10:09:55 PM
And all that money on filming and he still won't get a pair of lavalier mics.

I've got a lavalier pair of coconuts

bgmnts

I never copped Sin Agog either.

Mobius

This from the Chortle article made me laugh

"The website Spiked, which has been accused of promoting a right-wing agenda under the cover of free speech, backed the right of Lee – who they called a 'dull-as-shit Remoaner' – to make a joke, even if they thought it wasn't a good one.

But as Lee wrote in the Guardian in 2018, after the YouTuber in the 'Nazi pug' case became a cause celebre for the alt-right: 'If Breitbart or Spiked can roll out your comments approvingly online you have fucked up.'"

I don't think it was very funny what Lee wrote, but the faux outrage from people who spend all day calling liberals snowflakes and easily triggered is ridiculous. Once again 99% of twitter are cunts and it shouldn't exist.

Dewt

That is definitely not what 99% of Twitter consists of.

Mobius

Oh okay sorry. I just click on Glinner and Trump tweets when someone links them so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 04:49:23 AM
That is definitely not what 99% of Twitter consists of.
At least 44% are Anime Libertarians complaining about age of consent laws, so it's not 99%

Dewt

Quote from: Mobius on May 19, 2020, 04:55:13 AM
Oh okay sorry. I just click on Glinner and Trump tweets when someone links them so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
I think that demonstrates how bubbled everything is. If you go via glinner then sure, it's that stuff. If you use it and start following people you pick yourself, it's a feedback loop of your own opinions, with exposure to the shitty people being via likeminded people saying "look at this chump!". As with all social dynamics it's both good and awful.

bgmnts

Can someone show me this amazing section of twitter Dewt maintains exist outside of his own head?

Sebastian Cobb

Most of it boils down to not following idiots and telling twitter 'i don't want to see this' when it shows someone liking/retweeting things you don't want to read.

Interestingly I did spot a chrome addon for people in the trans community that would highlight tweets made by people it deemed to be allys or enemies to the community. It used a mixture manual information and machine learning, and a bloom filter.

https://shinigami-eyes.github.io/

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2020, 01:01:40 PM
Most of it boils down to not following idiots and telling twitter 'i don't want to see this' when it shows someone liking/retweeting things you don't want to read.

Interestingly I did spot a chrome addon for people in the trans community that would highlight tweets made by people it deemed to be allys or enemies to the community. It used a mixture manual information and machine learning, and a bloom filter.

Seems like a bubble, that.

GoblinAhFuckScary

ta for that. Since I've got the night-timey dark mode always on twitter the colours resemble something very web 1.0 now. v i n t a g e

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2020, 02:42:45 PM
Seems like a bubble, that.

If you're on about that extension, then yes it is. If you're on about training twitter to do deliver you a personal experience then it also is but it's a bubble of your own making and you can let whatever you like into it.

Mister Six

Ie. avoiding all but 1% of the people on there. Because 99% of them are cunts.

pigamus

Well I've never had a problem. Is my Twitter different from everybody else's or something?

Sebastian Cobb

Making dismissive statements about social media platforms that suggest you don't understand how they work is a bit like when your dad hears a pop singer and triumphantly says 'NEVER HEARD OF 'EM!'. Good for you, no really.

Sin Agog

My problem with twitter is it involves communicating.

Sebastian Cobb

Perhaps you'd be better off with yo.

Dewt

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2020, 12:46:07 PM
Can someone show me this amazing section of twitter Dewt maintains exist outside of his own head?
instructions were in the post you huffy little turd