Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:11:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee upsets the JC

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 17, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2020, 06:10:54 PM
Making dismissive statements about social media platforms that suggest you don't understand how they work is a bit like when your dad hears a pop singer and triumphantly says 'NEVER HEARD OF 'EM!'. Good for you, no really.

But you made the dismissive statement. You assumed a poor level of understanding of people in here who you don't know, have never met and haven't decided to discuss the subject with before making the dismissal. Posts like the above hardly help.

Conversely, I imagine that those you targeted probably understand how the mute buttons on twitter work and are referring to the underlying dynamic of the platform which is poisonous and infects so many people on there. One expressed themselves with a clearly hyperbolic generalisation which for some reason some peculiarly touchy people have elected to take literally.

The above is just a desperate attempt to seem more relevant by positioning others in an unfair way.

Sebastian Cobb

The above is just an attempt at priggishness in my view. Not that I consider myself particularly relevant to anything.

Also the functionality I described is not the mute functionality, so I don't think your 'we're all aware of how twitter works, thankyou!' argument really stands up.

chveik

Twitter is a truly awful company. think of the poor filipinos that have to remove all sort of 'objectionable' content everyday.

also, this forum would be much more pleasant to read if people stopped posting twitter links and instead used the quote function.

bgmnts

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 06:29:16 PM
instructions were in the post you huffy little turd

This seems more Twitterlike to be fair. Not my style.

C_Larence

Quote from: chveik on May 19, 2020, 06:50:34 PM
also, this forum would be much more pleasant to read if people stopped posting twitter links and instead using the quote function.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981?s=21

dissolute ocelot

Tom Tugendhat's mother was born Blandine de Loisne and he has dual British-French nationality! He's one of those citizens of nowhere that Theresa May hates, but luckily, our American PM Boris is more relaxed.

Also, let's remember another instance of mockery of Tugendhat that oddly didn't stir allegations of racism or antisemitism, although posting Mr Bean's face on someone is certainly something.

Also how can anyone hate Twitter when it gives you https://twitter.com/BarnacreAlpacas

Dewt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2020, 06:30:25 PM
But you made the dismissive statement. You assumed a poor level of understanding of people in here who you don't know, have never met and haven't decided to discuss the subject with before making the dismissal.
Because they're saying stuff that sounds like "I hate that you have to use those XBox controllers to use Twitter. I don't understand all the buttons. A? X? Make it simple and just have words!"

There are so many ways that Twitter is terrible and there are legitimate discussions to be had about them, which only makes it more frustrating when people make sweeping declarations about it from a position of knowing fuck-all.

Dewt

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 19, 2020, 06:30:25 PMThe above is just a desperate attempt to seem more relevant by positioning others in an unfair way.
I'm sure this is not logic you apply selectively

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on May 19, 2020, 06:50:34 PM
Twitter is a truly awful company. think of the poor filipinos that have to remove all sort of 'objectionable' content everyday.

Agreed, google and facebook do this too and seem to attract much less ire here. Compared to facebook, twitters policy on not being paid to spread misinformation looks honourable.

pigamus

My one weird trick is just to follow self-righteous lefties who only say things I agree with

Jaich

Stew was adopted as a child. Perhaps family names have a different value to him. Just imagine if took a test and found that he Jewish heritage. Definitely an hour of material.

petril

Quote from: Jaich on May 19, 2020, 09:54:44 PM
Stew was adopted as a child. Perhaps family names have a different value to him. Just imagine if took a test and found that he Jewish heritage. Definitely an hour of material.

it'd be the last episode of Baddiel's Syndrome all over again

Jaich

I noticed the footnote;
QuoteThis article was amended on 18 May 2020 to remove text inconsistent with the Observer's style guidelines.

Does anyone know which text was removed? Waybackmachine is inaccessible and the amp project doesn't appear to show page history.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 07:04:25 PM
Because they're saying stuff that sounds like "I hate that you have to use those XBox controllers to use Twitter. I don't understand all the buttons. A? X? Make it simple and just have words!"

They aren't though, are they? I just saw people saying Twitter was shit  and then people getting oddly defensive about that.

Dewt

Oh boy it's the form of argument based on projecting intentions on others to attack the source of the argument instead of saying anything cogent

thank fuck this cycle will repeat until the end of time, it's brilliant

pigamus

"Twitter is shit"

"No it isn't"

"Why are you being so oddly defensive?"

Dewt

It's even worse than that, because it's not "no it isn't", it's "no it isn't and here are the specific misunderstanding you have based on only understanding Twitter through it being reported as part of a moral outrage, but it's a nuanced situation and there are some serious problems with Twitter so it's worth understanding it properly" and the response is "NO I REFUSE TO LISTEN I AM RIGHT BASED ON ZERO INFORMATION AND WHY ARE YOU SO DEFENSIVE ABOUT TWITTER IS IT YOUR MUM"

earl_sleek

Mobius

I'm sorry for slagging off twitter everyone.

dandoystevski

Thursday

Nah I think I'm with Dewt here.

Twitter is bad for lots of reasons, but people here slag it off from a place of ignorance. You're getting the reasons it's bad WRONG!

Dewt

I appreciate how difficult it is for anybody to say they are with Dewt on something.

It masks the real problems a bit. To borrow some wanky terms, Twitter has become the global town square, and it's owned and moderated by a corporation. Blaming the users (some of which only have a voice via Twitter) because you only view the platform through a lens of "look what this cunt has said" is a loss, because you're out of touch with a huge part of society (fine, your choice) and how it's being managed. Declaring that your view of Twitter represents reality elicits the same kind of irritation that is usually vented with "Ok boomer".

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mobius on May 19, 2020, 11:18:14 PM
I'm sorry for slagging off twitter everyone.

apology accepted. this is all i wanted really.

keir

I've seen plenty of "oh, god, I'd never use fuckbook, it's dreadful" people on twitter and plenty of "oh, god, I'd never use twatter, it's dreadful" people on facebook and they say pretty much exactly the same things.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: keir on May 19, 2020, 11:45:29 PM
I've seen plenty of "oh, god, I'd never use fuckbook, it's dreadful" people on twitter and plenty of "oh, god, I'd never use twatter, it's dreadful" people on facebook and they say pretty much exactly the same things.

You could swap 'facebook' for 'aldi' and 'twitter' for 'lidl' and your point would be just as profound. 'currys' and 'dixons', 'rumbleows' and 'radio rentals', anything really.

keir

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2020, 11:50:38 PM
You could swap 'facebook' for 'aldi' and 'twitter' for 'lidl' and your point would be just as profound. 'currys' and 'dixons', 'rumbleows' and 'radio rentals', anything really.

mork and mindy