Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Decent horror series

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 17, 2020, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Are there any current ones? I've recently subscribed to Shudder and there quite a few on there but non of them really strike me as being worth watching.

BlodwynPig

Would be interested too...nothing gore heavy, more sinister

Jim Bob

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 17, 2020, 09:14:53 PM
Are there any current ones? I've recently subscribed to Shudder and there quite a few on there but non of them really strike me as being worth watching.

I don't know which ones are decent but I can tell which one to avoid on Shudder; Creepshow.  It's garbage and an insult to the superb original film of the same name.

Fr.Bigley

Haunting of hill house was excellent.

BlodwynPig

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 18, 2020, 08:24:27 AM
Too glossy american

I agree that production values are quite high but lukes episode is a fecking banger.

Jerzy Bondov

I heard Channel Zero was good somewhere. On here maybe. I don't know.

Moribunderast

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on May 18, 2020, 12:46:52 PM
I heard Channel Zero was good somewhere. On here maybe. I don't know.

Channel Zero always started well enough but eventually went off the rails. Every season. It was disappointing because they generally started out with a good idea but could just never sustain it for a full season.

The Wolf Creek TV series is decent - it does veer into a bit of comedy and is less realistically grim than the first film but I found both seasons an enjoyable watch. The Kettering Incident is another decent Australian one, though I may be stretching the definition of "horror" there.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Moribunderast on May 18, 2020, 09:44:32 PM
The Wolf Creek TV series is decent - it does veer into a bit of comedy and is less realistically grim than the first film but I found both seasons an enjoyable watch.

Aye, the Wolf Creek TV series is good.

Small Man Big Horse

I've not seen it yet but a friend recently recommend the French series Marianne, so I've downloaded it and plan to watch it soon.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2020, 10:47:38 AM
I've not seen it yet but a friend recently recommend the French series Marianne, so I've downloaded it and plan to watch it soon.

Thought that was a bit silly, think there's a thread on here somewhere.

Wicker Shit

If you're into action-horror and not burned out on zombies I'd recommend Kingdom on Netflix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_(South_Korean_TV_series)

It's set in the 16th Century and combines Palace intrigue intrigue with zombie mayhem. I found it absolutely gripping.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2020, 10:47:38 AM
I loved 95% of this. Brilliant stuff. It's use of incidental music and sound effects was the best thing about it.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Wicker Shit on May 19, 2020, 11:02:33 AM
If you're into action-horror and not burned out on zombies I'd recommend Kingdom on Netflix:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_(South_Korean_TV_series)

It's set in the 16th Century and combines Palace intrigue intrigue with zombie mayhem. I found it absolutely gripping.

I've tried twice to get into this.

holyzombiejesus

I know there are quite a few on Netflix but the Shudder ones seem to be...

Grace - "When a family man succumbs to weakness, his failure to live a moral life condemns those he loves to an unspeakable horror. Only his path to redemption can save them."
Halfworlds - "In the bustling streets and back alleys of Jakarta, a parallel world of bloodthirsty, mythological creatures has lived alongside humans for generations."
The Valley - "This supernatural German series begins with the TWIN PEAKS-ian discovery of a tiara-crowned teen corpse. But there's a twist: Sophia's not dead... yet. "
Supermax - "On a reality show set in a deactivated maximum security prison in the Amazon Forest, twelve participants fight for a million dollar prize. "
Trepalium - "It's the end of the 21st century and society is in decline."
Todd & the Book of Pure Evil - "Imagine, if you will, a book of awesome power. A book that will make your deepest, darkest desires come true... but at a horrifying cost. This is The Book of Pure Evil, and it's loose in Crowley High."
Jailers - "A jailer in a São Paulo penitentiary, Adriano lives up to his father's legacy. Facing the problems of a flawed system on a daily basis, he tests his limits and principles, risking his life and that of his family. "
Deadwax - "... is a mindbending neo-noir set in the obsessive world of vinyl collecting. Etta Pryce, a vinyl tracker, is hired by a rich collector to hunt a legendary rare record that has driven its owners mad and killed anyone that has dared to play it."

There are a few more but they just sound rubbish. I guess I'm wary of checking these out as if they were any good, they would have been picked up by something other than Shudder. Might be unfair, they have Wolf Creek and taht was praised up thread.

mjwilson

Just started Castle Rock, seems decent so far.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 19, 2020, 11:25:40 AM
I know there are quite a few on Netflix but the Shudder ones seem to be...

Grace - "When a family man succumbs to weakness, his failure to live a moral life condemns those he loves to an unspeakable horror. Only his path to redemption can save them."
Halfworlds - "In the bustling streets and back alleys of Jakarta, a parallel world of bloodthirsty, mythological creatures has lived alongside humans for generations."
The Valley - "This supernatural German series begins with the TWIN PEAKS-ian discovery of a tiara-crowned teen corpse. But there's a twist: Sophia's not dead... yet. "
Supermax - "On a reality show set in a deactivated maximum security prison in the Amazon Forest, twelve participants fight for a million dollar prize. "
Trepalium - "It's the end of the 21st century and society is in decline."
Todd & the Book of Pure Evil - "Imagine, if you will, a book of awesome power. A book that will make your deepest, darkest desires come true... but at a horrifying cost. This is The Book of Pure Evil, and it's loose in Crowley High."
Jailers - "A jailer in a São Paulo penitentiary, Adriano lives up to his father's legacy. Facing the problems of a flawed system on a daily basis, he tests his limits and principles, risking his life and that of his family. "
Deadwax - "... is a mindbending neo-noir set in the obsessive world of vinyl collecting. Etta Pryce, a vinyl tracker, is hired by a rich collector to hunt a legendary rare record that has driven its owners mad and killed anyone that has dared to play it."

There are a few more but they just sound rubbish. I guess I'm wary of checking these out as if they were any good, they would have been picked up by something other than Shudder. Might be unfair, they have Wolf Creek and taht was praised up thread.

Grace and Deadwax are the only ones I might check out. Todd... sounds awful. X and the Wacky Something or Other films are universally terrible and the names are always white middle class american names.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: mjwilson on May 19, 2020, 12:30:12 PM
Just started Castle Rock, seems decent so far.
Is it? Are you a King fan? I've been put off this series by a couple of friends rubbishing it. Both of them big King fans.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 19, 2020, 02:55:02 PM
Is it? Are you a King fan? I've been put off this series by a couple of friends rubbishing it. Both of them big King fans.

I thought it had it's moments, and some of the performances are superb (Sissy Spacek especially) but I felt disappointed by the end of it.

mjwilson

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on May 19, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

I've read a few books, seen a few films. Up to episode 7 of the first season and it's strong so far.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2020, 05:47:48 PM
I thought it had it's moments, and some of the performances are superb (Sissy Spacek especially) but I felt disappointed by the end of it.

I tell you what, the number of bloody horror things on here that I've sacked off because of "it starts well enough but doesn't deliver in the end"...in fact, pretty much everything.

chveik

I don't think horror works very well in series format

that Sion Sono one from last year was abysmal

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 18, 2020, 01:17:11 AM
I don't know which ones are decent but I can tell which one to avoid on Shudder; Creepshow.  It's garbage and an insult to the superb original film of the same name.

Seconding this. I'd heard good things about it, but I only liked two of the segments: the
Spoiler alert
dollhouse
[close]
one which had a cool premise and then an absolutely nothing ending, and the
Spoiler alert
stomach parasite
[close]
one which is just because I love
Spoiler alert
to see things splatter
[close]
. Rest of it was dog shit.

mjwilson

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 19, 2020, 05:47:48 PM

Shitting the bed with the ending would be incredibly on-brand for a Stephen King-inspired show.

BlodwynPig

Let's start a list

Horror with a satisfying ending.

1. ...

mjwilson

What any horror at all?

The Vvitch
Midsommar
The Wicker Man
Blair Witch Project

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mjwilson on May 20, 2020, 08:33:11 PM
What any horror at all?

The Vvitch
Midsommar
The Wicker Man
Blair Witch Project

Series

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 20, 2020, 08:14:43 PM
Let's start a list

Horror with a satisfying ending.

1. ...

1. Riget, in a way

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone watched the Ju-on/ The Grudge series on Netflix yet?

chveik

does Shokuzai count as horror? if so, I recommend it

no supernatural stuff but it's quite creepy at times