Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Decent horror series

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 17, 2020, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 05, 2020, 05:27:56 PM
Has anyone watched the Ju-on/ The Grudge series on Netflix yet?

I hope this is good. Looks like they've gone with the idea that this TV series is based on the "real" events that the films were a fictionalisation of.

Watched the Mark Gatiss Dracula mini series on Netflix yesterday. Parts 1 & 2 were entertaining but part 3 got lost up its own arse.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: chveik on July 05, 2020, 05:34:15 PM
does Shokuzai count as horror? if so, I recommend it

no supernatural stuff but it's quite creepy at times

What's it on?

Quote from: NoSleep on July 05, 2020, 05:36:49 PM
I hope this is good. Looks like they've gone with the idea that this TV series is based on the "real" events that the films were a fictionalisation of.

Might start it tonight.

chveik

Dex Sawash

Noodle Lizard

Copied from the Horror Films thread:

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 15, 2021, 10:11:34 PM
There are a few [suggested] on Reddit and the like, but there's likely nothing (decent) suggested that you haven't already seen. It's all the Netflix ones (none of which I rate), or American Horror Story (which, despite its name, seems as though it's made by people who don't want to do horror), Channel Zero (has a couple of good moments, but naff overall), aforementioned Castle Rock (dull), with the occasional nod to something like Twin Peaks or Inside No. 9 if you're lucky. Apparently there's just not a huge amount of good horror TV going around at the moment.

That said, I did get The Terror recommended through one of those threads, which is decent enough but not exactly "horror". More akin to something like The Mist or Lord Of The Flies, with BBC period drama aesthetics.

I think it's about time they brought back the Masters of Horror series. It'd probably fare better in a post-Black Mirror world, and there's no shortage of filmmakers who'd like to give a go.

SteveDave

Calls on Apple+ might count as "horror". It's definitely sci-fi with horrific elements. The first episode has two people calling each other from New York and LA. Then strange things happen and the police get involved. It's all done with phone calls and a more advanced version of the WMP Visualiser going the whole time. Quite a good cast too.

TrenterPercenter

The thing based on the ships that got lost in the Artic trying to find the northwest passage it's called The Terror I think.  Pretty good.

Ah just seen it is already reccomended.

Artie Fufkin

I'm 4 episodes into The Third Day.
Not bad at all.
Jude Law is in it.
It's a bit Wicker Man I guess.

Dex Sawash

Just adding that Castle Rock passed the time pleasantly enough but wasn't spectacular. Mare of Eastown plus spooky stuff.

thundarrshirt

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on August 16, 2021, 01:50:29 PM
The thing based on the ships that got lost in the Artic trying to find the northwest passage it's called The Terror I think.  Pretty good.
First season of The Terror is fantastic; absolutely do not bother with the second. Speaking of people being driven mad by Lovecraftian horror/geography, Adult Swim have an adaptation of Junji Ito's Uzumaki on the way, with music by Colin Stetson which looks promising?

Didn't find the first season of Castle Rock in the least bit scary but thought the Spacek-centric episode was frantastic. First season of True Detective might be the best non-Twin Peaks sinister shit I've seen of a series.

paruses

Quote from: thundarrshirt on August 16, 2021, 10:52:36 PM
First season of The Terror is fantastic; absolutely do not bother with the second.

Are we talking about the same series? The fate of Arctic victorian explorers on Erebus and Terror with Richard Harris's son in it? Jared? Does that sound right?

Has a big sort of
Spoiler alert
polar bear
[close]
as
Spoiler alert
the monster
[close]

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: paruses on August 17, 2021, 04:28:34 PM
Are we talking about the same series?.
That's the one!
Quote from: paruses on August 17, 2021, 04:28:34 PM
Richard Harris's son in it? Jared?
Fuck me! I hadn't realised that #fuckwit

paruses

Ah, I see it's nothing to do with wooden ships and illicit buggery. They were the two main draws for me in the first one.

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on August 17, 2021, 04:57:13 PM
Fuck me! I hadn't realised that #fuckwit
No -I didn't believe it when I was told. He seems far older than he should be.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: paruses on August 17, 2021, 06:20:10 PM
No -I didn't believe it when I was told. He seems far older than he should be.

And he looks more like he should be Brendan Gleeson's brother. But he isn't.

Dex Sawash

Figured I should bang off a few words about Wynonna Earp. The main character is Wyatt Earp's great great grand something who is able to wield Wyatt's magical pistol against various supernatural entities. So far it is not that bad but wait there's more. Wynonna's little sister is a bartender and they dress her up and do her hair like a hyper-sexualised 12 year old and it is super creepy (or I'm super creepy for seeing it).

Dex Sawash

Finished S1 of Castle Rock. Am I meant to have any idea wtf the story is at this point? Still enjoying watching and I assume Lizzy Kaplan is in S2 (the reason I started watching)

Dex Sawash

Liking S2 of Castle Rock more than S1. Seems more adjacent to S1 than same show but maybe not full anthology

TrenterPercenter

Just watched the first episode of Brand New Cherry Flavour and it was great!  Might be a good horror series here.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 26, 2021, 08:58:11 PM
Just watched the first episode of Brand New Cherry Flavour and it was great!  Might be a good horror series here.
On episode 7. Great stuff. Doesn't take itself too seriously!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on September 28, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
On episode 7. Great stuff. Doesn't take itself too seriously!

Yeah I heard it gets a bit silly; I'm up for that though.  Enjoying it so far got two ep2. but then stopped so the other half could catch up and we could watch it together.

Whoops also realised HG had already rec'd it - good shout HG!

olliebean

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 28, 2021, 05:40:14 PM
Yeah I heard it gets a bit silly; I'm up for that though.

The correct phrase is "gloriously silly."

Dex Sawash

The first ep of Cherry flave has been a bit dull up until the Cristin Milotti looking one
Spoiler alert
barfed up a kitten
[close]

jonbob

I've been enjoying NOS4A2. It's very Steven King, but as it's based off his son's novel that's not a surprise.
Chapplethwaite is also worth a look. better than I expected the prequel to Salem's lot would be . I have no idea if they which streaming service outside the Oz they might be on, I'm sure you'll work it out

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: jonbob on September 29, 2021, 12:42:24 AM
Chapplethwaite is also worth a look. better than I expected the prequel to Salem's lot would be
WTAF!!!? I knew nothing of this??

jonbob

Chapelwaite if you spell it properly. it's based on Salem's lot according to Wikipedia , but my memories of Salem's lot are from reading it at least 20 years ago and I must be confused. I could have sworn Salem's lot was set in 70s-80s and Chapelwaite is set in the olden days

thugler

Anyone watching 'midnight mass' on Netflix? Same guy as the 'haunting of' shows and a similar vibe. Very good so far, nice slow burn drama

jonnyunitus

Yeah been enjoying Midnight Mass quite a lot. Watching the last episode tonight

badaids

Quote from: jonbob on September 29, 2021, 12:42:24 AM

Chapplethwaite is also worth a look. better than I expected the prequel to Salem's lot would be . I have no idea if they which streaming service outside the Oz they might be on, I'm sure you'll work it out

Yeah when did this happen?  Salem's lot (the book of it) is the single most shittingest up thing I've ever read.