Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:27:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Decent horror series

Started by holyzombiejesus, May 17, 2020, 09:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Just finished watching Midnight Mass on Netflix and, without any spoilers, thought this was really good. All I'll say is the cast are excellent throughout and just watch it (you're best going in to watch this without knowing what it's about).

surreal

Was wondering if anyone has checked out Chapelwaite?  It's based off the Stephen King short story "Jerusalem's Lot", and features Adrien Brody.  Seems to be getting half-decent reviews on IMDB anyway: 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11525188/

I think there's a couple of eps left, I was going to see if I could *acquire* it somewhere...

EDIT:  Just realised this has been mentioned

frajer

Quote from: NoSleep on October 14, 2021, 08:33:52 AM
Just finished watching Midnight Mass on Netflix and, without any spoilers, thought this was really good. All I'll say is the cast are excellent throughout and just watch it (you're best going in to watch this without knowing what it's about).

Wholeheartedly agree. Only halfway through but it's absolutely ace, best series Netflix has done in an age.

But yeah please don't read reviews as I am certain even the "spoiler free" ones will not be.

surreal

Quote from: jonbob on October 02, 2021, 11:00:19 AM
Chapelwaite if you spell it properly. it's based on Salem's lot according to Wikipedia , but my memories of Salem's lot are from reading it at least 20 years ago and I must be confused. I could have sworn Salem's lot was set in 70s-80s and Chapelwaite is set in the olden days

It's based on Jerusalem's Lot, the short story, not Salem's Lot the novel

Cuellar

Quote from: NoSleep on October 14, 2021, 08:33:52 AM

Ditto, went through it all rather quickly. Thought it was very good. Thought the simpering main guy was a bit shit
Spoiler alert
but luckily he fucks off. Also the fact that all the old timers in the first episode were clearly young people wearing heavy makeup sort of gives the game away, but I don't think it matters really.

The writing had a tendency to monologue which occasionally became overbearing, but I liked the subtlety of the vampirism, just the glowing eyes, and the shots from their perspective of the lights shimmering. Before watching it, and for the first couple of episodes, I thought it would be an 'Apostle' type affair, charismatic cult leader makes everyone go mad, so when the 'angel' turns up I thought it was going to get a bit grand guignol and silly, but it didn't really. Although the 'angel' was quite campy at times, like when it finds Pruitt in the rec centre and it goes to refill his decanter with blood, it approaches the decanter sort of wiggling its fingers in a stage villain way, which made me laugh. And it was a remarkably compliant vampire - Pruitt kept dressing it up, putting a hat on it, dressing it up as a priest. How did that work - 'hiya angel mate, just going to pop this hat and coat on? cheers'

But yeah, good. 
[close]

Brundle-Fly

Quite enjoying BBC's Creeped Out. It's for youngsters but really good fun.  It has a Black Mirror meets EC Comics vibe.

jonbob

Yes I had total confused Salem's lot and jersulams lot, old age and rampant drug abuse catching up with me. .
Midnight mass was much better than most horror series and really nailed slow burn in a way I've not seen in  any TV series. Not perfect, but then what is?
The new Disney series Just Beyond is very similar to creeped out, horror as family viewing.

phantom_power

Brand New Cherry Flavour is great and completely deranged. It just gets odder and odder but never loses its sense of horror and the last episode has one of the most affecting deaths I can remember. Some great idea, imagery and effects with a fantastic central performance from Rosa Salazar, who was equally great in Undone and Alita: Battle Angel.

Artie Fufkin

AsparagusTrevor

I watched every episode of Brand New Cherry Flavour in a row today. I just had to keep sticking another on to see how much more insane and gross it could get. "A lot more" was the answer. Great show.

badaids

Thanks for the recs in here.

Brand New Cherry Flavour was really.  I loved the spaced-out empty-coolness neon-gothic LA thing that it has going, and Rosa Salazar is amazing in it.  There are lots of things that don't quite hold together and you can spot the twist coming a mile off, but it's really just an excuse to freak out explore a load of mad gross ideas and stuff.  Some of the character acting is great too - the David Gahan circa Violator actor was brilliant played, and the director bloke was good even though his one note from the director must have just said 'do Jack Nicholson'.

Chapelwaite I enjoyed, but bloody hell it took literally 5 of the 10 episodes for something to happen before it turns into an action movie and then the monsters are revealed to be a bunch of pussies.  And does Adrien Brody have to talk in that horrible vocally fried murmur.

On to Midnight Mass then.

badaids

Midnight Mass was a hard watch.  Draclea Ross Geller goes born again Christian on an island of dullards.  And all those scenes with that fucking religious chanting and singing that goes on foreveeeeeeeeeeer.

Castle Rock was pretty great, based on the whole Stephan King world. There's a world of difference between S1 and S2, S1 being Shawshank based and S2 being Misery based. It's a tragedy that there's not more series.

Midnight Mass is trash which thinks it's way more intelligent than it is. The bit with the skinhead talking about life after death is ridiculously 6th former philosophy cringe.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 27, 2022, 08:40:52 PMCastle Rock was pretty great, based on the whole Stephan King world. There's a world of difference between S1 and S2, S1 being Shawshank based and S2 being Misery based. It's a tragedy that there's not more series.
Keep meaning to check this out.
I'm 3 episodes in to Netfix's Archive 81.
Really interesting. Good atmosphere. A nice use of the 'found footage' genre.
Hasn't got that great a rating on IMDB, Rotten Tomato is more favourable.
I'm sticking with it for now.
One scene in E2 put the right willies up me.

Head Gardener

just started this and digging it so far

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on January 28, 2022, 10:06:37 AMKeep meaning to check this out.

I enjoyed Archive 81, I stayed until the end but it felt as though it could have been two episodes shorter and lost nothing.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Head Gardener on January 29, 2022, 02:19:21 PM

just started this and digging it so far

Cor yeah! Started it tonight. Just what the doctor ordered.

Dex Sawash

The Baby HBOMAX, dunno might be on Sky too.
Just watched trailer, supposed to be horror/comedy no idea if it is good yet.
It's got Dobby off Peep Show.
If it is funny enough reckon I'll do a thread in the funny stuff forum.

NoSleep

Quote from: canted_angle_again on January 27, 2022, 08:40:52 PMMidnight Mass is trash which thinks it's way more intelligent than it is. The bit with the skinhead talking about life after death is ridiculously 6th former philosophy cringe.

I don't think that was meant to be more than Skinhead's own flawed opinion (just like the opinions of other characters).

Interesting, but very spoilery, breakdown of the show from the POV of two survivors of a fundamentalist upbringing, saying how accurately the show depicted a community consumed by Christian radicalisation:

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on January 28, 2022, 10:06:37 AMKeep meaning to check this out.
Took me a while, but finished this the other week. Pretty crap in the end, after a good start.

NoSleep

That's the way with so many shows. Potentially good premise and setup spoiled by subsequent realisation and conclusion. For example, it was by the network's demand that we found out who killed Laura Palmer, not Lynch or Frost.

"But people won't understand."

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 29, 2022, 11:34:05 AMTook me a while, but finished this the other week. Pretty crap in the end, after a good start.
Apparently this show was based on the podcast of the same name....?

NoSleep

That may be an explanation. Looks like the original idea was purely in audio, which allows more room for the imagination to fill the gaps. I had a similar problem with Jam not being as effective as the Blue Jam radio series, as the world it described in audio seemed so much more bizarre but somehow plausible.

olliebean

Also apart from the premise and setup, hardly anything in the Netflix show came from the podcast. Overall it rather gave the impression of the creator having thought, "This is the story I want to tell, and if the only way I can tell it is to shoehorn it into an adaptation of this podcast then so be it."