Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-grocery shopping

Started by Blue Jam, May 17, 2020, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

How do you decide what's essential and therefore ethical to order online? Or if you don't give a fuck, what mad lockdown shit have you bought?

I ordered a hi-vis vest and cycling backpack but those are essential as I may be back at werk in a few weeks and my employers don't want us using public transport.

I am also in dire need of some new socks and some slippers. All that walking around at home indoors is taking its toll. Could do with some leggings too but they're for cycling as well as slobbing about at home and also sort of essential.

Ordered more homebrew kit and a box of Belgian Trappist ales but all that's essential obviously.

Would also like to buy some random mad shit from TK Maxx now they're taking orders again but Himalayan pink salt and crab bells really are a luxury.

Blue Jam

Hmmm, maybe this was a shit thread idea fuckit post.

Had a Zoom meeting for werk today. Was about to service my bike and maybe order more bike stuff when I learned that I won't need any of it for at least four more weeks. Got another month of werking from home. Cheers Sturge!

I'm pathetically happy to see TK Maxx is now properly taking orders again online.

Was also thinking of ordering one of those coronavirus tests from Superdrug but the first lot have sold out already. Need something to stop me twiddling my thumbs at home, even if it is a sharp needle to jab into one of them. Anyone else tempted and got £69 burning a hole in their pocket?

Abnormal Palm

I got so much shite I don't even wanna say.

That economy not gonna unfuck itself.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 06:18:05 PM

Yeah, I haven't been furloughed, I'm still being paid 100% of my salary to do fuck all. It's my civic duty to buy as much crap as I can, probably.

Looking at hairdressing scissors now. And some smart new gym stuff for all those home werkouts where no-one will even see me. Posh cheese and mixed beer cases are an ongoing essential too.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Secondhand books from dusty booksellers throughout London and the Home Counties. Like a real man.

Emma Raducanu

We've been doing home schooling. My girls pencil sharpeners are shit and just chew her pencils up. I could get free next Day delivery on a £1.99 pencil sharpener from Amazon. I thought about it. I decided against.. Just

Captain Crunch

You should do it over the bin with a raw blade, it'll make you feel butch. 

Blue Jam

Imagine being an Amazon Logistics courier and dying of Coronavirus over one pencil sharpener. Bwahahaha. Actually, no, that isn't funny, good on you DolphinFace. Be a real man and use a razor blade.

Alternatively, Boots and Superdrug are open and may have eyeliner pencil sharpeners which will do the job.

Dewt

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 06:18:05 PM
I got so much shite I don't even wanna say.

Are people just making Amazon the entire economy though

Blue Jam

That's one thing I'm concerned about here: it's easy to boycott Sports Direct and avoid giving your money to Legend Mike Ashley, but I feel bad for contributing to Jeff Bezo's first trillion too. Might see if that Sally hair salon supplies place is taking orders.

wooders1978

Quote from: Dewt on May 21, 2020, 06:31:31 PM

And aren't they absolute CUNTS with tax?

Bezos and the boys will not be unfucking our economy sadly

So damn convenient though :(

Fr.Bigley

What a depressing state of affairs, I look at my local hostillery going down the pan and I see that lazy eye's conglomonster gouging the public for his first trillion. It's a display I thought was reserved for a black mirror episode. 

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: Dewt on May 21, 2020, 06:31:31 PM

Not me presumptuous cunt

John Lewis

Blue Jam

Just ordered a pair of proper hairdressing scissors from a small independent hairdressing supplies place in Glesga. £36. Looks like I snapped up one of the last two pairs they had in stock. It seems the lasses are getting as desperate as the fellas panic-buying hair clippers now.

Some of the hairdressing shears on Amazon seemed suspiciously cheap, and the specific pair of German precision-engineered vorsprung durch technik shears I ordered were actually cheaper at this other wee place.

Was thinking of getting some thinning scissors too but I've read they can be disastrous in the wrong hands, and even in the hands of pros, so I decided against getting a pair. This home haircut malarkey is scary enough as it is.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

My spouse used my Amazon Prime account to order 6 ping-pong balls of varying size for the cats to play with.

Blue Jam

Cats can get the 'rona you know, what if one of those ping pong balls bounces out of the window and lands in the gob of an immunocompromised person, eh? EH?

Dewt

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 21, 2020, 06:54:25 PM
Not me presumptuous cunt

John Lewis
Well like most things that wasn't specifically centered around you

I've ordered fuckloads of things from Amazon during this because it was convenient but it is definitely inevitable that millions of people are doing this and it's not to a good end

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2020, 07:14:55 PM
Cats can get the 'rona you know, what if one of those ping pong balls bounces out of the window and lands in the gob of an immunocompromised person, eh? EH?

I'll drag their body in and let the cats feast on it. Save some money on Iams.

Blue Jam

Gonna order some shite from TK Maxx now.

Might get some new shirts from Gap. I signed up to their mailing list and they seem to have a permanent sale on these days. DEAD SOON? Also it is alright to buy stuff from Gap now, isn't it? I remember the NO SWEAT campaigns and Mayday Monopoly and all that other stuff everyone has forgotten.

bgmnts

Bought some socks and catnip balls for my cat from wish today.

Blue Jam

Wish? Are orders leaving China now?

Where's a good UK-based place to get decent socks? Nowt fancy, just a multipack of 5 or 10 equal pairs of black cotton socks. I shop for these things like a bloke. Also I'm too lazy to sort my socks into pairs so it's best if they all look identical. I have been wearing the lairy socks that lie forgotten in the back of the sock drawer but that's only because my more sober pairs are all getting full of holes.

Might go crazy and throw out all my current socks and replace them with new ones, woo hoo.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2020, 07:18:05 PM
Might get some new shirts

Sherts, surely? Especially if they're suitable for werk.

Dewt

I wish it was possible to get nice stuff without enabling monsters

Ah well whatareyougonnadoaboutit

I ventured to Halfords on saturday for some coolant for my wife's car. It has a slow leak from the pipe from the reservoir. I've been topping up with water but am worried about constantly diluting the mix. The queue was round the block. Had to blow it out.

Abnormal Palm

John Lewis is a nice guy and five year guarantee.

That said Bezo does great customer service. I got so much shit from him I just said it never turn up and I flogged the spare one on Amazon Warehouse!

peanutbutter

As in delivered things?

a few DSes
Exercise bike
LSD
Nike shoes
Running shirts
Running socks
valium
a Garmin
Bluetooth speaker
R4 card
several SD cards
2CB
Fan

Think that's it since early March...

Dewt

Just looked at last year's accounts to figure out how much I actually spend on last year's crap and discovered it was best expressed a multiple of how much somebody working minimum wage would make before deductions if they worked 40 hours a week every week of the year

So I am curtailing that behaviour right now. I vow to be a tightarse

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 21, 2020, 08:06:58 PM
I ventured to Halfords on saturday for some coolant for my wife's car. It has a slow leak from the pipe from the reservoir. I've been topping up with water but am worried about constantly diluting the mix. The queue was round the block. Had to blow it out.

You'll be fine topping it up for the next 6 months or so I reckon.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 21, 2020, 07:10:39 PM
Just ordered a pair of proper hairdressing scissors from a small independent hairdressing supplies place in Glesga. £36. Looks like I snapped up one of the last two pairs they had in stock. It seems the lasses are getting as desperate as the fellas panic-buying hair clippers now.

Some of the hairdressing shears on Amazon seemed suspiciously cheap.

Picked up a pair og egay for £4. Sharp as fuck, tight and not only cut like a proper pair of hairdresser scissors, but sound like em as well.

Birdie

We were allowed to shop online in the second week of lockdown from local businesses for essential items so I was able to replace my microwave (it caught fire) but I also took the opportunity to order an espresso machine.  It was listed as an essential item so what the heck.

All businesses could go online for level 2 so I bought some sax reeds. Local retailers so at least the money stays here.  We can now go into regular shops but we're still being encouraged to do click and collect and online ordering.

I should get some new reading glasses but they can wait (also caught fire- separate incident]

Basically, I've got enough tat lying about the place that I don't need to buy too much.  Unless things catch fire.