Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:20:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-grocery shopping

Started by Blue Jam, May 17, 2020, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyboro

I can only echo the above post concerning magnetic grinders. Fucking brilliant things.

ollyboro

Except - technically - there is no post above this one.

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 23, 2020, 12:28:18 AM
My handwriting is atrocious in ballpoint but passable with a fountain pen. I love them because I'm just used to them.

Also ballpoint pens are just utterly unlovely objects.
Good for practicing that kanji

Cuntbeaks

I've been intrigued by the Dynavap, particularly for camping expeditions where the battery in my Arizer Solo 2 would expire. What's the ease of use and draw like on it?

Dewt

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 23, 2020, 02:15:14 AM
I've been intrigued by the Dynavap, particularly for camping expeditions where the battery in my Arizer Solo 2 would expire. What's the ease of use and draw like on it?

Dunno about your model but if you like to keep it on for a while and take occasional puffs then you won't like it.

It's a very economical vape, far more so than my crater, it's easy to use you just need to hold it under a jet lighter and rotate it until it clicks and then you'll get 2 or 3 lungfuls of fog.

There's a knack to it, but it's not hard. This video overcomplicates how to use it, just figure out where to hold your lighter, basically, but also shows what it can do and how it works quite well I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJQT4DXPDA

Edit: I dunno how much you like to run your bud, but you're looking at 3 of them at least on a single bowl before the 'popcorn' taste and even then you can push it if you're frugal like me, I run it until it looks like burned tea!

Cuntbeaks

Sounds decent, I'm sold on the lack of battery, but I suppose the jet lighter and fuel are peripheral considerations.

The Arizer Solo is a cracking vape, but long, slow drags are a must to get the best results from it. Battery will last me a month or so at my normal rate of use, this drops to a weekend if I'm sessioning with a few folk. I also have an Arizer Extreme Q, a perfectly lovely cloud machine which I really should use it more often.

Zetetic

Eventually caved and bought a computer fan from Amazon because I couldn't find this model anywhere else (and there are weird requirements for the computer I want to put it in).

Otherwise avoided it so far. Bought a second-hand laptop after the screen and hinge assembly on my 11-year-old MacBook Pro disintegrated, but UPS don't seem to show any sign of actually delivering this.

buttgammon

UPS are being quite slow lately. Do you have a tracking number? If you do, you should be able to see where it is.

Dex Sawash

Got a turnsignal repeater lamp for the right door of my "new" volvo and the bushing that goes inside the upper engine mount from China yesterday. 4 tires (tyres) for daughter's Volvo too but those are cheap american ones.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on May 23, 2020, 03:14:31 AM
Sounds decent, I'm sold on the lack of battery, but I suppose the jet lighter and fuel are peripheral considerations.

The Arizer Solo is a cracking vape, but long, slow drags are a must to get the best results from it. Battery will last me a month or so at my normal rate of use, this drops to a weekend if I'm sessioning with a few folk. I also have an Arizer Extreme Q, a perfectly lovely cloud machine which I really should use it more often.

I have to refill the lighter reasonably regularly, but I'm still on my first can of lighter gas. It's less annoying than discovering an electric vape needs a charge!

That's good battery life though. If I use my electric one I probably get a couple of nights out of it without recharging.

I know someone who had a plug-in Arizer that was about 300 quid, he said it was like and airbong and his missus insisted he go to another room to use it. I think he flogged it in the end as it was 'a bit much' since he's settled down and had a kid and stuff.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Braintree on May 22, 2020, 02:09:49 PM
I bought a customised Iceland Eurovision 2020 jumper https://dadifreyr.com/

For about £95.

I think you have won the thread so far.

This is a contest, incidentally. Can anyone beat this? Has anyone taken part in an online auction and bought Elvis Presley's rhinestone-encrusted umbrella stand or something?

Dewt

Would you believe me if I told you that I am negotiations to buy a watch from Martyn Ware RIGHT NOW?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 23, 2020, 06:15:58 PM
I think you have won the thread so far.

This is a contest, incidentally. Can anyone beat this? Has anyone taken part in an online auction and bought Elvis Presley's rhinestone-encrusted umbrella stand or something?

I once bought a panto horse costume off of ebay. It was so I could go as 'the back end of a pantomine horse' at bestival, so I could get away with not having to dress up properly.

Cloud

What else is there to do?  Got myself an iPhone from Wowcamera and eyeing up Apple Watch refurbs.  (Spare me the Apple hate).  All out of the money I was squirrelling away for the year's conventions and possible holiday which are all cancelled

Fuckdown will put the final nail in the high street's window boards I reckon.

Quote from: Cloud on May 24, 2020, 07:02:25 PM

Fuckdown will put the final nail in the high street's window boards I reckon.

This was Dam Square in Amsterdam on Saturday at 11.30am, over a week after all the shops were allowed to open.

Cloud

The crowds will be back for Christmas

Nothing can put an end to THAT thing for shopping

Blue Jam

Ordered items from Gap and TK Maxx.

Hermes have lost both parcels.

Thanks a fucking bunch guys.

Sebastian Cobb

My next homebrew kit has been sent to a sorting office on the wrong side of the clyde :(

seepage

Panic-bought some HDDs near the start of the crisis and they were nearly half-price when purchased in external drive enclosures vs separately. They even provided a little plastic thingy to prise them out the cases instead having to rip them apart as usual.

Blue Jam

Further investigation suggests that the two parcels from Gap were left in an open doorway and disappeared shortly afterwards. I'm just wondering if the delivery driver took a photo, marked the items as delivered and then snaffled them for themselves.

The photo of the alleged TK Maxx parcel looked far too small to contain what I had ordered (two shirts, a pair of trainers and a beach towel) and looked more like a squashed bundle of brown paper crudely swaddled in packing tape than anything a high street retailer would send out.

I know Hermes are the worst courier company in the fucking world but I really hope some opportunistic thief hasn't been snooping round our building for parcels. I thought we'd have fewer people leaving the front door wide open now all the Airbnb twats have fucked off *sigh*

Thank fuck my Saino's parcel is Click+Collect. Still no sign of that one though...

imitationleather

Not sure if this belongs in the grocery shopping thread but I've ordered one of those Cheese Geek subscriptions for the weekend.

Fucking looking forward to it.

Blue Jam

Nice, what did you get? I went to Waitrose yesterday and overbought posh cheese so we can celebrate the easing of lockdown rules with a picnic. Got some cheddar with black truffle, some posh Wensleydale and la retorta (now concerned that last one might be a bit too brie-like though). Still got that goat gouda too.

Was planning to use the aforementioned TK Maxx beach towel as a picnic blanket. It was only £6 and had a nice repeat print of lobsters. Arrrrgghh.

Blue Jam

Really running low on socks here. Come on Saino's, pull your finger out.

Really want to support businesses that aren't Amazon but dodgy couriers are a hassle I don't need right now. Jeff Bezos may be evil but at least he made the parcels arrive on time.

Abnormal Palm

Quote from: imitationleather on May 27, 2020, 02:13:18 PM
Not sure if this belongs in the grocery shopping thread but I've ordered one of those Cheese Geek subscriptions for the weekend.

Fucking looking forward to it.

Never heard of this but gonna order me a big fuckin wheel for this weekend now. Cheers!

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 27, 2020, 02:37:28 PM
Really running low on socks here. Come on Saino's, pull your finger out.

Really want to support businesses that aren't Amazon but dodgy couriers are a hassle I don't need right now. Jeff Bezos may be evil but at least he made the parcels arrive on time.

Fucking Hermes have decided they're not going to bother trying to put things through your letter box, just dump on the doorstep no matter how small or valuable. All these internet companies designing letterbox-ready packaging, sorry! Managed to do it while I was putting the bins out at 10pm, amongst other cleverness. In contrast, Amazon you can track the delivery and cancel it with minutes to spare if you're not in/it's not convenient. Some ebay sellers and other small merchants still use Royal Mail, hurray. (At least hurray if delivery times suit/you want someone who'll use a letterbox.)

I've bought enough art/photography supplies to open a gallery. Doing various dyeing, printing, and alternative process photography that involves a lot of soaking, solar exposure, and drying time, ideal for working from home.

Attila

Did a little bit of vintage shopping online at the start of the lockdown - optimistic about when I can actually dress up for public speaking events again. I usually have to alter any vintage clothes I buy, so I had a bit of fun working on those pieces.

Mostly though it's been second hand books to read - despite the enormous amount of work what with converting classes online, then all of the 'virtual Open Days' and Teams meetings we've been having, I've been able to do a lot more reading-for fun. I've got about 6 books on the go constantly at any one time at the moment.

A couple of packages with books are long overdue which surprises me, because I usually use the same second-hand sellers, and I've had other things off them pretty quickly.

A bunch of books and resources for the book I'm currently writing -- delivery times there vary as some of them have had to come from the US.

I've also got back into knitting and handwork, so I've bought yarn plus restocked some of my knitting supplies. I've 'shopped my storage room' to get my stash of wool and some of my textile tools to bring back to the house, too. I am thinking about making a few crazy quilt/memory blocks, so I've collected a few 19th century/early 20th century monogram/initial stamps for marking fabric. Knitting socks mostly lately -- especially during Teams meetings that only require that I'm present (for presentations or student tutorials and stuff like that, they get 100% me, but if I've got to attend some daft 'learning lunch' I usually have my current sock in hand).

As far as deliveries go: it's been ok for the most part. The small sellers on etsy have been hit  or miss with how quickly they can dispatch anything. Mostly they've been pretty quick, or they've been upfront that they get deliveries out on X day of the week. A few have taken the mick -- I waited about 6 weeks to get an item from a seller in London that was a bit of a faff (and then had to keep said item outside every day for over a week to get the cigarette stink out of it).

Parcels have been left either tucked into the cupboard by the front door or left by the front door, or they come around back and tuck them into the usual spot in the garden. We've see regularly the same delivery  drivers (Mr Attila works from home so is always getting parcels for work), so they know the routine. There have been a couple who've just thrown the parcel on the drive and sped off, though.

Currently waiting for a ruler/gauge thing for sock knitting and 1/2 dozen balls of super-wash wool.

I've got a wish list for when my next wages come in; we've got a major re-validation event for my uni course this morning which has been a trial by fire over the past six months or so (revealing the true bullying colours of one of my co-workers -- the programme is shaping up to be really much improved, but at the cost of what had been an excellent professional working relationship with said colleague), so I might treat myself to a set of Victorian-era bone knitting needles.

Plus there are several other reference books I'd like to/need to pick up for my research project.

Blue Jam

My BeerHawk order is being delivered by Yodel.

They're not as shit as they used to be when they were HDNL, right? Right?

Blue Jam

Gap and TK Maxx parcels containing all those nice smart werk clothes I ordered are officially MIA.

The cheap stuff I ordered for slobbing around the house arrived from Tu by Saino's with no problems.

I think this is a sign that I should sack off werk and continue slobbing around the house.

Anyway, I finally have socks! Yaaaay!

Sebastian Cobb

Bought the new Haggis Horns lp and a T-Shirt. Been trying not to do this as it's a bit unnecessary but feared it'd sell out.