Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Non-grocery shopping

Started by Blue Jam, May 17, 2020, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 30, 2020, 03:33:32 PM
Bought the new Haggis Horns lp and a T-Shirt. Been trying not to do this as it's a bit unnecessary but feared it'd sell out.

I might do the same. I was supposed to be seeing them on Friday but the gig has been postponed until November.

Those are some damn nice t-shirts!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 30, 2020, 03:46:13 PM
I might do the same. I was supposed to be seeing them on Friday but the gig has been postponed until November.

I had a ticket for that too! Given some stuff got shunted early to around September and November and  other stuff has just been pushed back a year, I'm not holding my breath.

Have you ever heard the solo album their singer released? It's excellent.
https://lucindaslim.bandcamp.com/

Blue Jam

I guess Dr Beat and I will see you in November then! I'll look out for the t-shirt ;)

seepage

not having had a proper fridge since Feb I bought an excellent mini fridge. Just too small to fit a bottle of fizz in but I can carefully decant into a table wine bottle. So good I bought a second one but had to send it back as the motor ran continuously even if freezing inside. But a replacement is due Monday, yay! 

Blue Jam

Just ordered a Haggis Horns t-shirt (thanks Sebastian Cobb!) and also this (in green):

https://www.bustedtees.com/products/pitpat

TAKE IT FROM ME, I LOVE YOU!

H-O-W-L

I ordered a lantern and feel like a bit of a cunt for doing so, but in my defense it was that or keep wasting candles.

Blue Jam

What do you need a lantern for? The shed? One of my neighbours has just connected their shed to an electricity supply. I am very jealous.

Abnormal Palm

Waste of money. You can get fifty tealights for a fiver in the Home Bargains.

bgmnts

I got a huge bag of tealights at a market in Abergavenny for around £3. I use them for lighting essential oils.

Sebastian Cobb

Am I the only cunt using electricity to make light these days?

Dex Sawash

Quote from: bgmnts on May 31, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
I got a huge bag of tealights at a market in Abergavenny for around £3. I use them for lighting essential oils.

Me too

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 31, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
What do you need a lantern for? The shed? One of my neighbours has just connected their shed to an electricity supply. I am very jealous.

The garden. I like to sit out there at night but I'm scared of the depths of it after dark, because I can't see what's going on down there and there might be buggerers with knives. It's an electric lantern I should clarify. Fuckoff 1000lumen one that lights up everything.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 31, 2020, 04:17:01 PM
Waste of money. You can get fifty tealights for a fiver in the Home Bargains.

I have a big pack of tealights (100 for £2 at Dunelm back before all this insanity) but they don't provide the kind of Alan Wake levels of illumination I require to feel safe in the garden.

Abnormal Palm

I actually wouldn't recommend tealights, just a topical joke.

rack and peanut

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 31, 2020, 04:43:49 PM
Me too

Aah yes, words like "chainsaw" and "staples" with all their possible misuses & connotations deffo need to be scrawled rather than labelled smartly.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 30, 2020, 03:33:32 PM
Bought the new Haggis Horns lp and a T-Shirt. Been trying not to do this as it's a bit unnecessary but feared it'd sell out.

I did this with the new(ish) Mountain Goats record, then thought "well if I'm going to make them ship stuff, might as well make it worthwhile" and added 2 other LPs and a T-shirt to my basket. Lovely stuff

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 31, 2020, 01:07:43 AM
Just ordered a Haggis Horns t-shirt (thanks Sebastian Cobb!) and also this (in green):

https://www.bustedtees.com/products/pitpat

TAKE IT FROM ME, I LOVE YOU!

That's a nice t-shirt. Is it from something or a thing or what?

Blue Jam

Attila

Field trip report: went to the bank yesterday to sort out a couple of pressing issues that I couldn't do online.I went yesterday because it was so rainy and chilly that I gambled there would be less people about on the sad little shopping precinct (mostly charity shops, pawn shops, a handful of bridal shops -- the latter were open -- and those places where they will unlock your phones and stufff) in our nearby stabby south coast town.

Gambled correctly; the only people around were bewildered wandering old folks and an assortment of the usual skanky anywhere-between-16-and-40-year-old loners guys hassling people and being obnoxious jerks on bikes and/or skateboards.

The banks on the precinct were open, each with a queue of anywhere from 2-5 people patiently waiting. One of the clerks at mine was coming outside on a regular basis to triage people in my queue and get them seen to as quickly as poss. Mine being a bit more complicated meant that I had to wait a little longer, but once I was in they had it sorted so that I didn't have to queue up twice (which I would have had to ordinarily). I had to deposit a cheque from the US, which took the longer of the two because the clerk had to wait forever for someone behind a locked vault door to pass her a form, and then I had to transfer my research money back to the university.

They were seeing everyone as efficiently as poss inside, and constantly wiping down counters and touch screens. I was actually inside the bank for about half an hour (most of that waiting for this form, and then having to do the transfer stuff), and during that time at least three people just randomly walked in, ignoring the queue and signs outside. The clerk was there to swoop down on them and tell them to go back and wait in the queue and he'd get to them, but at least one of them decided to argue with him about how they weren't going to queue, weren't going to queue in the drizzle, and were in the bank now anyway, so why couldn't they just get sorted out, &c.

And of course got back to the house after all that to find out the University gave me the wrong account number, so now I need to find out who hit the jackpot yesterday and actually received the £900.

Many of the little carparks in town are shut, and I didn't want to use one of the machines (which are filthy at the best of times; years back we watched some guy sneeze wetly into his hand and then use the same hand to put money in the machine and press all of the buttons, bleagh). I've got a Ringo account set up, so I just used the railway station carpark -- they've used the lockdown to raise their price by £2 since March, can't wait to see that add up when I have to start using them again on a regular basis. Five cars in the carpark which usually by that time of day on a Wednesday would be completely full, very strange to see.

Head Gardener

I went to the first car boot (in the country?) of the year which had huge gaps between sellers, a one way system around the field, hardly any vinyl but...
I did find a football for my dog Ruby so she'll be very happy to destroy it when I see her.

Blue Jam

My electric toothbrush has conked out so I have just ordered a new one from Amazon (sorry). Braun had a few deals on so I had a butchers at their Oral B toothbrushes. A toothbrush reduced from £230 to £70? B@RGAIN, I'm having some of that, but why was it so expensive in the first place? Ah, it's got a "limited editon travel case" so you can make it even more bulky before putting it in your luggage. It's also got Bluetooth connectivity and an app which creepily uses your phone's microphone to record your brushing sounds and nanny you about your brushing technique... on second thoughts, that one reduced from £70 to £35 will be fine, thanks. What a time to be alive (but a good time to buy an electric toothbrush if anyone is in the market for one).

Also bought a load of sexy bras because mine are all old and worn and disgusting.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 05, 2020, 01:08:07 PM
Also bought a load of sexy bras because mine are all old and worn and disgusting.

seepage

Feel I should be buying more pointless PC hardware just for the sake of it. Didn't know 2.5 Gb ethernet cards existed, although they don't appear to be much cheaper than 10 Gb ones. For a grand you can get a 100 Gb one. 100 Gb!!! Also you can get a PCI card you can stuff with 8 SSDs. So you can have a 32 TB SSD on a single card.

Blue Jam

Hehehehe, nice.

My electric toothbrush has already been dispatched! By Hermes. *bangs head on desk*

willpurry

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 31, 2020, 07:25:58 AM
I ordered a lantern and feel like a bit of a cunt for doing so, but in my defense it was that or keep wasting candles.

Yeah.  Don't waste those.  https://youtu.be/ae8SUa0hisM?t=1263

Blue Jam

After bread makers and hair clippers people are now panic-buying bikes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53023552

Glad I already had one but I am struggling to get it serviced because all the bike shops have a massive backlog to work through right now.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 19, 2020, 05:03:00 PM
After bread makers and hair clippers people are now panic-buying bikes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53023552

Glad I already had one but I am struggling to get it serviced because all the bike shops have a massive backlog to work through right now.

The local bike shop next to my work has sold more in 2020 though May than in any entire previous year. The cardboard recycle dumpster we share is always rammed. The pile of free department store bikes needing minor repair that goes to the co-op is a pickup truck load every week (they are booking service appointments in September right now. There's a Norwegian thing sort of unusual in usa I fished out of the pile I may fix for me.