Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:05:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Interesting/amusing things you've found in the street

Started by spaghetamine, May 18, 2020, 02:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaghetamine

I tend to pick up a lot of things I find in the street as people often abandon a great many treasures. In the last few months I have found this Himalayan Salt Pipe (you're supposed to do salt therapy with it apparently, fuck knows) and this very fetching holographic tiger portrait. I also once found a pair of seemingly unworn size 10 skate shoes on a wall in St. Werbughs and they were the most comfortable and best fitting pair of shoes I've ever owned. What have you found in the street?

Alberon

Quote from: spaghetamine on May 18, 2020, 02:17:12 PMskate shoes

This has upset me.
Next time, just say trainers if they haven't got wheels on.
I just assume that if something's been abandoned, it's for good reason. It'll have been up someone's arse or dropped in sick or something, best to leave well alone.

Sebastian Cobb

I'm still kicking myself for spotting a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers placed by the communal street bins and assuming they'd still be there to rescue once I'd got my chippy tea.

kittens

spaghetamine

Fr.Bigley

BlodwynPig

when I was 7 I found 60 grand under a hedge...well my friend did and he showed me the notes in a big white plastic bag.

we tipped it on a makeshift fire on the recreation ground and ran home

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 18, 2020, 07:09:32 PM
when I was 7 I found 60 grand under a hedge...well my friend did and he showed me the notes in a big white plastic bag.

we tipped it on a makeshift fire on the recreation ground and ran home

You jest, but once my Dad told me a story of when he was a kid some kids in the neighbourhood found a load of white fivers stuffed in an old sofa and not knowing what they were they burned them.  One of the kids said to his mum "we found a load of shopping lists stuffed in a sofa, we've been burning them all afternoon" ('shopping lists' because many of them had been written on on the back) and the kid had saved a couple in his pocket and showed her.

buzby

An unopened Trojan 'Ribbed Gold' condom, as I walked to my nan's in the summer of 1989. The unusual thing being that Trojan was an American brand that wasn't available here (it was launched in the UK in 2004), so it was either:
a) Dropped by someone who had recently been over to the US
b) Dropped by a GI on a night out in Liverpool (RAF Burtonwood in Warrington was still an operational US Army depot then)
c) Fell though a time vortex

After studying the packaging, I left it on a wall nearby.

holyzombiejesus

I found a ZX Spectrum by a bin in Spain when I was on my honeymoon (about 12 years ago). It had never occurred to me that they might be sold in different countries and I quite liked the look of it so walked around with it for a few hours until I had a sudden realisation that I was strolling round Cartajena with a broken computer on my honeymoon.

Dewt

Found a Zippo lighter in the snow seven years ago. Had handcuffs on it so presumably a cop lost it. Good. Mine now. Still use it every day for lighting incense and things.

Butchers Blind

Several years back found a diary on the pavement belonging to a Louise.  Not very interesting on the whole but there was some stuff about her mum being an annoying cow for just being her mum and stuff about a bitch called Anna who was seeing some boy she liked.  There was also a recipe for cup cakes but didn't bother trying that out.

holyzombiejesus

I think I've mentioned before that I used to distribute an American magazine called Found, which specifically documented things that people had found in the street or in 2nd hand books etc. I used to always have my eyes open for stuff on the street, here are some of my favourites. All except one (the large picture of the man with the passport photos) were found on the street.