Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Webcam recommendations

Started by weekender, May 18, 2020, 06:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekender

Hi, how YOU doin'?

I'm doing some preliminary investigation into the possibility of getting a webcam, and wondered if anyone had any advice please?

I don't really have any budget limitations as such, but I'm keen to get something that meets my requirements and is reasonable value.  If I have understood correctly, here's a very simple summary of how I think the broad market options look at the moment:

Low-end - 640 x 480 (VGA) - £0 to £50 mark
Mid-end - 1280 x 720 (720p) or 1920 x 1080 (1080p) - £50 to £100 mark
High-end - 2560 x 1440 (QHD) and 3840 x 2160 (4K) - £100+ mark

The two main reasons I'm thinking about getting a webcam are:

1) Running virtual quizzes for a youth club in Herefordshire (don't laugh, I'm serious)
2) Occasional video chat with friends/family and possibly spamming CaB Zoom meets when pissed

So it feels like something low- to mid-end is probably my target market.

Also I don't have a microphone and from the research I've done so far it looks like you can get webcams with built-in stereo or an array microphone, so that seems like a pretty key requirement.

This will be completely for home use (my work laptop has a decent enough built-in webcam, USB headset/mic etc), so whatever I end up with needs to either sit on top of a 29" monitor pointing slightly downwards, or on a desk pointing slightly upwards (my ergonomic posture is important). 

I am under no time pressure to make a decision, I realise that webcams are in short supply at the moment, and I don't want to rush into anything, this won't be a panic buy.  I'm happy to wait for the right product - at the moment I've managed to turn my phone into a basic webcam which is meeting my requirements as outlined above. 

If anyone has any immediate thoughts though, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks all in advance, love this new forum.

PlanktonSideburns

i use a chineese nockoff gopro, which seems to fare pretty well for 40quid

Sebastian Cobb

Best of luck with your onlyfans site mate.

imitationleather

There's a ridiculous amount of price gouging going on with webcams as every cunt and his mother has wanted to buy one since lockdown started. I use a Logitech one I got for £50 last year. It's great and will go up to full HD if you want that, but I just looked and it's now going for £190!

Sebastian Cobb

I've got a yellowing logitech quickcam express if anyone wants it. Yours for £70.

Abnormal Palm

Don't encourage this guy. He's not being serious about the webcam at all, he's just trying to cause trouble.

Ambient Sheep

For goodness' sake don't get a VGA one, although I think you know that.  HD at least.

Quote from: weekender on May 18, 2020, 06:23:39 PMAlso I don't have a microphone and from the research I've done so far it looks like you can get webcams with built-in stereo or an array microphone, so that seems like a pretty key requirement.

It depends how serious you want to get, but from watching a couple of podcast-type shows it seems the popular choice is to go for a standalone microphone from the Yeti range.  Having said that, I just read the following review of it:

QuoteNo way is this right for everyone
3 out of 5 stars
2 weeks ago

I have a moderately long history in live and studio sound production. I've been a podcaster for 2 years and a musician for 30 years. I pride myself on having the right tools for the job. I can record an interview or podcast or a band or run live sound in just about any scenario short of a 10,000 seat venue.

This mic is a simple mic to use. Plug it in (I'm an Apple user) and it works. The dials are conveniently located and are about on par with what you'd expect to feel on a $100-$150 mic. This is USB-only, so don't plan on using this with any interface (mixer, etc).

This is a CONDENSER mic. Please, please, please! Before you buy any mic, do your diligence and learn a little about mics before choosing which one is right for you. Condenser mics are very hot mics. If you're room isn't treated for sound, you're going to hear every single ambient noise that is in the room (fans, hard drives, mouse clicks, swallowing a drink of water, etc) and any noise that occurs within proximity of the room (dog walks by in the hallway, wife flushes the toilet or decides to brew some coffee, etc).

For those without sound treatment, please, go for a dynamic USB mic if you have to have USB. Mics like the Samson Q2U and the Audio Technica AT2005USB are FINE mics. I have about 50 mics. I podcast with a few like the Shure SM7B, Rode Podmic, Rode Procaster, Blue Encore 300 (condenser), Heil PR30B, etc and the 2 Samson and the AT sound very good when compared to the SM7B or any of the mics I mentioned after. I have a deep 'radio' voice - boomer bob show for examples - and the 2 USB mics I mentioned are great entry-level mics that should carry you well into your streaming or podcasting endeavor.

Sebastian Cobb

I notice some of the posher logitechs have a ring light on them, if your lighting is shite.

imitationleather

I've got a ring light I bought for £30 that clamps on to the back of my monitor. Pretty decent but it will be overkill for a lot of people.