Author Topic: Civilisation Thread  (Read 523 times)

Civilisation Thread
« on: May 18, 2020, 08:57:51 PM »
A thread dedicated to any Civ chat, if anyone here plays this game series.

I bought Civ VI on Xbone 2 months ago and have almost finished with my first game, in which I just got dragged into a joint war against the Scythians thanks to my Australian allies.

It's a bit more in depth than the main Civ Rev game on consoles and I quite like that but good god does it drag!

Dewt

• The Fun House Grand Prix
Re: Civilisation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »
Civ II

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Civ II is probably the best one but laptop gaming is a ballache.

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 10:30:52 PM »
Played a lot of Civ 6 on the PS4 recently. Really enjoyed it but after a few games, it just becomes so samey. I guess you need mods for more variety. Base building is fun, although once you get to nuclear power and have to worry about them melting down I usually get bored.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 10:59:25 PM »
Yeah i'm playing the scenarios because they are short and a bit more exciting.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 07:58:32 PM »
People always talk about needing to improve the late game; but I find it's the mid game (medieval to early industrial) that's the tedious part.

You're largely done with settlers, there aren't any major grabs for resources until coal (nitre I suppose), maybe there's religion going on, just a slow upwards tick of civics and technologies, with nothing much more than the standard melee/cavalry/ranged stuff from the ancient era.  Maybe it's supposed to be more for consolidating your empire, but I always find it a slog.  But then I barely ever play aggressive.

Currently going for a diplomatic victory with Sweden (Civ VI), world congress always seems to propose knocking the points off me at a greater rate than I can gain them, so that's probably not going to happen.  I'm very behind on the ol' military, so hoping I can churn out some reasonably modern defensive units and hold on for a culture victory.  Feller I play with always plays aggressive and expansionist though, kind of has an unbreakable head of steam by dint of owning three different Civ's cities.  Oh well.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 08:02:37 PM »
I'm also earning a Great Writer about every 7 turns that I can't do anything with.  Am I being an idiot, or have you not been able to gift units to allies since Civ IV?

Dewt

• The Fun House Grand Prix
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
Civ II

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »
Civ IV with expansions seemed the best balanced and most fun to me. Civ II was great but rapid city expansion was too exploitable.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »
Civ 6 is free for PC on the Epic Game store now.

Tags: