Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Civilisation Thread

Started by bgmnts, May 18, 2020, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

I think they try to avoid those sorts of situations by (fairly aggressively) biasing the starting locations of Civs - which does a bit undermine the 'play a new way' aspect I think.

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 16, 2021, 08:07:48 PMI think the increased complexity of the games makes total conversions like that harder to pull off.
Maybe a bit. I think also the general issue with the transition to high-detail 3D (and expectations around that) that the art 'costs' of a total conversion go through the roof. (Not that you don't get people adding new 3D assets into Civ VI, but it's often bits here-and-there around the base game.)

The Culture Bunker

I picked up Civ VI cheap-ish on PS4 about a year ago, played about 20 minutes and for whatever reason thought "I'm not sure I can be arsed with this right now" and have never gone back to it. I think it was the final time I tried playing what is really a PC game on console*, because it just never feels right without a mouse/keyboard.

*see also: Cities: Skylines, Stellaris, any kind of game with management aspects.

Pink Gregory

I played quite a lot of Tropico 3 on the 360 fairly successfully.  Didn't even notice that it ran like molasses.

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 16, 2021, 08:07:48 PMThe only thing that came close in the sequels was the excellent Fall From Heaven fantasy mod in Civ 4.
This (or rather, a few of the submods) and the Realism Invictus mod are all I've been playing for the past month or so. There are a few other mods I want to check out as well, but who has the time? Caveman2Cosmos sounds like a blast but could potentially ruin my life

St_Eddie

All this talk of Civilisation has got me hankering to revisit my childhood favourite Civ II.  I've had a bit of trouble getting it up and running on Windows 8, but have managed to get there eventually.  Now I'm trying to rip a ISO image of the disc so that I can enjoy music the way the game's meant to be played.

One of the things irking me is that I can only move my character in four directions.  Is my memory failing me; was it not possible to move characters in 8 directions with the keyboard's numberpad?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bgmnts on February 15, 2021, 09:39:22 PM
Has there ever been a game of civ where the first hundred turns or so isn't the most exciting? It does seem to suffer from that.

Not as a rule - I tend to play on slower speeds, but there isn't an approximate point where consistently the game stops being exciting. Early-game will have a lot going on if I'm playing aggressively or having to defend, but usually, I'm playing a leader whose abilities fit the mid or late game well and the earlier part of the game isn't always that interesting compared to ones who abilities suit that more.

Also, I can think of games where the mid-game was particularly tense - I think every time as Teddy Roosevelt that was the case and it was a job managing to hang in.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Rev+ on February 16, 2021, 01:46:09 AM
Nope, you save with the intention of carrying on another day, but it's more appealing to just start over again.  It's been that way since the beginning.

I've really fancied a go at Civ in recent months, but can't possibly buy Civ 6 after what they did to 5 on Steam.  They'll do the same thing again.

I missed that about 5 - what happened?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Zetetic on February 16, 2021, 07:29:37 PM...I think they're an interesting idea, but I don't really like the doubling-down on Civ's weird concept of a 'civilisation' with innate characteristics.

I wish stuff like the terrain-related abilities were made available as difficult choices during the course of the game somehow. Maybe in the form of mutually exclusive expensive Science/Culture projects. (Even have them unique within the game, so there's a racing-other-players element, as with Religion - although I don't really care for that.)

The leader abilities weren't a concept that I was keen on initially, but now enjoy them. A big reason, I think, is that it's made me think more about how I'm going to play and to try out different styles - also, to a degree, it can make victory routes a little more interesting rather than relying on the same strategy.

Something I feel is well done is that the abilities and bonuses have varying degrees of complexity, so there are nations that are particularly beginner-friendly and a good way of easy of getting grips to the game. However, I would like there to be some kind of (optional) way of developing the abilities to come through some kind of evolution or good old fashioned random allocation.

I rather like the idea of making the kind of difficult choices you suggest - also, I think it could be interesting that there was some kind of trade-off with abilities, so there can be a downside.

NoSleep

Steam selling Civ IV Complete for £3.74 today. Having some of that.

druss

Quote from: NoSleep on February 17, 2021, 02:09:22 PM
I played all of them religiously up to Civ IV and played Civ IV more than any other, felt like they perfected it with Civ IV and the expansions. I really tried with V but just couldn't get into it at all and didn't even bother with VI. Is VI worth it?

Zetetic

I think if you didn't get on at all with V (with Brave New World) then VI is unlikely to win you over.

Cuellar

Just bought III for 70p or whatever and it doesn't bloody work.

NoSleep

What platform and where did you buy it? I've even managed to get Windows Civ III to work on a Mac. I bought it from GOG.com.

NoSleep

That Steam version is Windows2000/XP only (how the fuck does that work?). The GOG one (£4.49) works on Windows 7, 8 & 10.

https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_civilization_iii_complete

Cuellar

It was on Steam - I think I've fixed it by running the windows compatibility troubleshooter thing

NoSleep

Using Porting Kit (method for playing Windows games on a Mac) I've just discovered I can install Civilization II for free.

https://portingkit.com

Although it's one of those games you can play online nowadays:

https://playclassic.games/games/turn-based-strategy-dos-games-online/play-sid-meiers-civilization-ii-online/play/

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on February 17, 2021, 02:09:22 PM

Incredible deal - am tempted to go back and will have to keep out a more careful eye for when it's on sale...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: druss on February 17, 2021, 02:18:56 PM
I played all of them religiously up to Civ IV and played Civ IV more than any other, felt like they perfected it with Civ IV and the expansions. I really tried with V but just couldn't get into it at all and didn't even bother with VI. Is VI worth it?

I would give it a qualified recommendation - 5 and 6 have marked differences. Whereas 5 encourages taller empires, 6 is a lot more forgiving when it comes to expansion.

If you have just played the base game of 5, then the one for 6 is fuller - for example, city districts as a concept; religious victory is possible. I found 5 was fine but the two expansion packs were sorely needed and although I think far from perfect, I couldn't imagine have going back to the base game. With 6, I probably wouldn't return to the base game, but could see myself playing with just the Rise & Fall expansion (as mentioned above in my previous post, nations can have gameplay differences in the expansions). Quite a few aspects of 6, like the districts and the civics cards, were ones that I was wary of but think they add a lot. Personally, I've found 6 to be a lot more engaging - however, being played on an iPad is a definite bonus for me!

I don't know how representative the discussion I have seen is, but just about every time I've seen a 5 vs 6 discussion, just about everyone who said they didn't like 5 has enjoyed 6 - your mileage may vary obviously...

Mr Trumpet

6 is good, but i'd wait until the base game and expansions are on sale good and cheap (this is my advice for all games tbf)

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on February 19, 2021, 09:18:15 AM
6 is good, but i'd wait until the base game and expansions are on sale good and cheap (this is my advice for all games tbf)

Surely no one forked out £60 for the base game.  Insanity.

Mr Trumpet

People spend a fortune pre-ordering unreviewed games. People are still pissing money down the Star Citizen black hole. So yeah, insanity abounds.

druss

Civ VI plus expansions and six leaders is on steam for £13.49 at the moment. Base game for a fiver.

Bought it, played it for an hour and have since been playing Civ IV again for 12 hours. Don't know what it is about V and VI but just can't get into them like I always manage to for IV.

Pink Gregory

I don't think I could go back to V.  VI is a bit overstuffed but it's the best version of the one-unit-per-tile, hex grid based Civ.

I know everyone's favourite is IV and it's one that I've played a lot in a former life but going back to unit stacks, manual road building, the slightly underwhelming civics...I suppose I found it easy to move on from.