Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Words your phone refuses to retain

Started by Pingers, May 18, 2020, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

I have an Android phone and there is a worrying level of social conservatism in the dictionary for texting. But oddly, there are some words that it seems happy to learn and add to the dictionary (cunt, fuck, cunted) but others that are seemingly deeply forbidden which it won't retain under any circumstances (cock, anus, John). I know this is not an especially riveting observation but it's lockdown alright. Has anyone else noticed this?

touchingcloth

I don't know about Android, but my iPhone sometimes remembers words if I type them enough, but other times not. For those ones it doesn't remember through typing alone I can go to settings and add them to the dictionary manually, so I have most swears saved that was with -ed and -ing variations, but also CaB specific things like Verbwhore and Wimblewrong. Maybe there's a way to do that on Android?

Cerys

My Android phone is quite happy to retain 'Wimblewrong'.  And 'shitweasels'.

Captain Z

Not long after getting my phone I once corrected "well" to "we'll", and now I end up sending "we'll done", "not very we'll known", "he fell down a we'll" every. damn. time.

Sebastian Cobb

Swiftkey picks up all sorts of shit. It's even learned 'site:cookdandbombd.co.uk'.

Birdie

Every time I type 'you're welcome' my phone corrects it to 'you're a whore'.

Awkward.

gmoney

My phone seems intent on changing "that" to "thst".

touchingcloth

Quote from: Captain Z on May 18, 2020, 10:05:47 PM
Not long after getting my phone I once corrected "well" to "we'll", and now I end up sending "we'll done", "not very we'll known", "he fell down a we'll" every. damn. time.

Are you sure it's your correction which does this? My phone assumes everything I type which could contain an apostrophe actually needs one, which is a fucker when you're trying to tell someone to get to he'll because you're to I'll to deal with their shit and that things between us aren't the way they we're. The one I think annoys me most is "it's", and I'm so used to my phone putting it when I mean "its" that I've ended up hypercorrecting and deleting the apostrophe wrongly.

idunnosomename

i typed "retard" and my phone cancelled me

Dewt

Dex Sawash

I always type out it is because I can't remember the rule and my phone never knew it

touchingcloth

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 19, 2020, 02:16:18 AM
It is processor can't handle it.

Yep, you need the lore upgrade if you want to do contractions.

Mister Six

My phone keeps changing "er" to "we", no matter how many times I try to retrain it.

Not interesting, I know, but you asked.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 19, 2020, 02:16:18 AM
It is processor can't handle it.

I feel there's a learning opportunity here

Icehaven

Mine seems to know exactly which tense/version/ending of a word I want and avoids it at all costs. If I want to write 'probably' it'll suggest 'probable', 'probability', 'probate', 'probing' or 'proboscis' first. Smartphonearse.

DrGreggles

I have a mate called Stefan.
When I type his name into my phone it always suggests 'Dennis' as the next word.

Pingers

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2020, 08:58:53 AM
I have a mate called Stefan.
When I type his name into my phone it always suggests 'Dennis' as the next word.

Desolation. Stefan Edberg litigates.

Pingers

If I start typing 'fucking hell' my phone suggests 'fucking herself' the dirty bollocks.

thenoise

I think anyone knows what I mean when I call them 'ducking aunts'.

touchingcloth

Is it cool to use this thread to mention words you're surprised your phone won't auto complete?

Ok. Thanks.

"Nazis". 

Hey, Punk!

My phobia never gets Anastasia wrote.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Replies From View

My phone nearly always corrects "be" to "he".  I end up sending messages like "Are we all meant to he there at 9am?" when clarifying work arrangements (when it feels like typos matter more), because the autocorrect makes that adjustment and it's not such an obvious difference that it stands out before I send it.  And then I notice the second it's been sent. 

Also my phone absolutely insists on always putting an apostrophe in "its".  I delete the "s" and the apostrophe, put the "s" back in, press space and the fucking apostrophe springs back in.  Over and over again.  Just fuck off!!

Meanwhile it refuses to learn or autocorrect anything actually useful.  Several times I've tried to teach my phone the word "naïve", which involves me looking it up first because I can never remember whether there's an accent or a tréma.  Would be a great thing to happen automatically but it never will.

buttgammon

Occasionally, my phone decides to autocorrect stuff to French for some reason. It's especially annoying when the French and English words are similar enough that it means you end up with a text that's perfectly comprehensible but is full of weird accents (words like télévision, for example).

Neville Chamberlain

My phone refuses to retain words like 'nude', 'crevice' and 'vulva' no matter how many times I type them!

Pingers

Vagina? Nah, sorry mate, you can have vaginae(?), vaginally or vaginismus. Or basins. That's yer lot.

flotemysost

I've just never switched on autocorrect on my phone, I think I'd find it too annoying. However I do type like a bull in a china shop on smartphones, so if I'm (affectionately) calling someone a twat they inevitably end up being a teat.

Golden E. Pump