Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:52:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covers that you know aren't as good as the originals but you prefer

Started by jobotic, May 18, 2020, 11:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Gregory Torso

It's brilliant but doesn't really fit this thread because it is objectively, unarguably better than the original.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: MinnieTimperley on May 19, 2020, 04:09:44 PM
You should see the weirdos who wrote Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

What? Klaatu?. Superb band. I won't hear a word against them.

Jockice

I actually owned this single but a reviewer in Record Mirror claimed that the Mo-dettes version of Paint It Black was better than the original. Is it bollocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2zNhhL-l0

rue the polywhirl

A couple of factoids for the attention of certain persons who are getting Carpenters wrong.

- Richard Carpenter wrote the following hits Goodbye To Love, Top Of The World, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, I Need To Be In Love along with a bundle of good quality album tracks, often with the collaboration of Paul Bettis in order to write out or flesh out the lyrics.

- Rainy Days and Mondays although not written by the Carpenters should not be considered a cover if they were the ones to put out the original version of it.

samadriel

Haha, I have a weakness for that remix of Brain Stew with all the stupid Godzilla shit, there's so much more to listen to!

Re "We Have All the Time in the World", I have a weakness for Fun Lovin' Criminals over Louis Armstrong, I think it's just the beats in the FLC version, IIRC.

DrGreggles

Quote from: samadriel on May 20, 2020, 12:21:57 PM
Re "We Have All the Time in the World", I have a weakness for Fun Lovin' Criminals over Louis Armstrong, I think it's just the beats in the FLC version, IIRC.

I'm rather partial to the FLC lounge version of 10cc's 'I'm Not In Love' too.
https://youtu.be/8W4SPG6GaUE

Clownbaby

Maybe a lot of people would be divided about whether or not this is as good as the original, or the most well known version, the Nine Simone one, but I love Marlon Williams' cover. It came on one night on Jools Holland while I was pissing about doing something else and I stopped what I was doing when I heard it (Ithink it's as good as other previous versions)

On Jools

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0gYYPiQY8CY

Studio version

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fDTsCMDYrKY

The Pet Shop Boys cover of Sterling Void's It's Alright can't hold a candle to the original, but (in 7" single version guise at least) it's a far easier song to dance to.

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 20, 2020, 09:18:57 AM
A couple of factoids for the attention of certain persons who are getting Carpenters wrong.

- Richard Carpenter wrote the following hits Goodbye To Love, Top Of The World, Yesterday Once More, Only Yesterday, I Need To Be In Love along with a bundle of good quality album tracks, often with the collaboration of Paul Bettis in order to write out or flesh out the lyrics.

- Rainy Days and Mondays although not written by the Carpenters should not be considered a cover if they were the ones to put out the original version of it.

I've just fact checked these points and it seems I've done the carpenter's and particularly Richard a disservice. They way the documentary came across he heard songs in varying places and situations then used his undoubted talent to rearrange them into songs fit for Karen. You've comfortably reassured me re. The Carpenters.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on May 20, 2020, 04:10:20 PM
The Pet Shop Boys cover of Sterling Void's It's Alright can't hold a candle to the original, but (in 7" single version guise at least) it's a far easier song to dance to.

Genuinely interested why you say that, I'm a fan of both SV and PSB versions but would have it the other way round.

Funcrusher

Quote from: popcorn on May 19, 2020, 01:56:43 AM
This one's definitely wrong:

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

Puff Daddy - Come With Me

I love Zeppelin but I've never completely loved the slightly fuzzy psychedelic sound of Kashmir. Meanwhile I love the clinical bombast of the Puff Daddy treatment, the hugeness of the drums (that snare!), the brass in the chorus. But wrong for sure.

Covers that aren't as good as the earlier cover that they stole the idea from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PxCWwu5kQ

Best final line of all time.

massive bereavement

When you think about it, everything is a cover unless they released the very first take of the demo version.

Somebody should do a cover version of this thread, I'd enjoy it so much more. This is just dreadful. 

popcorn

Quote from: Funcrusher on May 20, 2020, 11:28:20 PM
Covers that aren't as good as the earlier cover that they stole the idea from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PxCWwu5kQ

Best final line of all time.

That is fucking bizarre!

samadriel

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2020, 12:46:39 AM
Tricky - Black Steel
Wow, I'm the only person I know who prefers the Public Enemy version. Do you really think the original is better?

phantom_power

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2020, 12:46:39 AM
Tricky - Black Steel

That's a good one actually as the original is clearly better but the cover is so fresh that for a while it was the preferable option

jobotic

Quote from: samadriel on May 21, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
Wow, I'm the only person I know who prefers the Public Enemy version. Do you really think the original is better?

Of course it is.

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 20, 2020, 08:30:09 PM
Genuinely interested why you say that, I'm a fan of both SV and PSB versions but would have it the other way round.

Like a lot of early dance music, you need to be in the right mood for the Sterling Void version. The only time I've ever seen a crowd get into it was at a New Order gig after party piss-up. The right track for the right audience. But try that at your average house party or 80s themed disco. Not happening.

fat_abbott

This isn't better than the Springsteen original, is it? is it? IS IT?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Born to Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVUouuhg_Y

DrGreggles

Quote from: fat_abbott on May 21, 2020, 03:20:56 PM
This isn't better than the Springsteen original, is it? is it? IS IT?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Born to Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXVUouuhg_Y

I prefer it, but then I prefer Holly's voice to Bruce's.

non capisco

Oooh while we're on Bruce Springsteen. I don't know if I prefer it but I do love his cover of Suicide's 'Dream Baby Dream'.

fat_abbott

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 21, 2020, 03:59:23 PM
I prefer it, but then I prefer Holly's voice to Bruce's.

There is just something in the energy and chaos of Frankie's version that Bruce's original should have.

kalowski

Can I just point out that The Fall's versions of There's A Ghost in my House and Victoria are fucking dreadful.

kalowski

Quote from: samadriel on May 21, 2020, 07:53:43 AM
PE's Black Steel is utterly immense majesty. No other version comes close.

kalowski

PS sorry I just read the thread title so now I know why people seem to be recommending shit music.

Dusty Substance

The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way.

It doesn't have the silky soul or melancholy disco of the two previous versions by Harold Melvin and Thelma Huston but The Communards' bombastically camp hi-NRG re-interpretation is the version I go for every time.

non capisco

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 21, 2020, 10:46:30 PM
The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way.

It doesn't have the silky soul or melancholy disco of the two previous versions by Harold Melvin and Thelma Huston but The Communards' bombastically camp hi-NRG re-interpretation is the version I go for every time.

Agreed. The joyous piano and "come satisfy me, come satisfy me-e-ee" break put the Communards version on the top for me. Plus the nostalgia aspect. It was one of those radio hits I distinctly remember deciding I liked as a young child, along with This Old House by Shakin' Stevens and Come On Eileen.