Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:48:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Covers that you know aren't as good as the originals but you prefer

Started by jobotic, May 18, 2020, 11:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: non capisco on May 21, 2020, 10:58:04 PM
Agreed. The joyous piano and "come satisfy me, come satisfy me-e-ee" break put the Communards version on the top for me. Plus the nostalgia aspect. It was one of those radio hits I distinctly remember deciding I liked as a young child.

I was only eight at the time but remember it being played *everywhere* in 1986. Biggest selling song of that year.

This one may not count as it's not such a cover but a track that samples a song, but I'd rather take The Tamperer's banging Feel It, complete with bells and bizarre query about what she's gonna look like with a chimney on her, over the "original" Jacksons song Can You Feel It?

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2020, 01:00:12 PM
This one may not count as it's not such a cover but a track that samples a song, but I'd rather take The Tamperer's banging Feel It, complete with bells and bizarre query about what she's gonna look like with a chimney on her, over the "original" Jacksons song Can You Feel It?

Better than Urban Discharge - Drop A House too.

pigamus

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 21, 2020, 10:46:30 PM
The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way.

It doesn't have the silky soul or melancholy disco of the two previous versions by Harold Melvin and Thelma Huston but The Communards' bombastically camp hi-NRG re-interpretation is the version I go for every time.

See also: The Pet Shop Boys' Always On My Mind.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 21, 2020, 10:46:30 PM
The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way.

It doesn't have the silky soul or melancholy disco of the two previous versions by Harold Melvin and Thelma Huston but The Communards' bombastically camp hi-NRG re-interpretation is the version I go for every time.

I love Philly Disco, but I'll give you this one - school disco classic.

Never Can Say Goodbye too.

idunnosomename

Most of Garage Inc (1998 disc) because it is a bangin' production job imo. Even the Mercyful Fate medley that has probably quickly overtook that band's entire discography in number of the plays worldwide I begrudge is pretty great

DrGreggles

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 27, 2020, 01:00:12 PM

Add me to the Tamperer fan club.
Used both songs next to each other on the Number Ones round* of my quiz a couple of weeks ago and the editing between the two was seamless. SEAMLESS!

*there's always a red herring to spot

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 27, 2020, 04:34:04 PM
Better than Urban Discharge - Drop A House too.

Consider that a Musical 'F*** my Hat, I didn't know that!' for me. I really ought to have known that considering how much I love The Tamperer. It's actually made me like Feel It even more now!

EDIT: So, was Maya just a Felly from Technotronic or her out of Black Box, then? A smoking hot model brought in to mime to a sample for TV performances and promo videos?

Custard

Leningrad Cowboys' version of Happy Together is sheer joy

https://youtu.be/n997DP77Ma0

SO HAPPY TOGEZZEERR

Famous Mortimer

Sebastian Cobb

Baby Huey - A Change is Gonna Come various better and more important versions of this song but this one's the funkiest.

Sebastian Cobb

Have a really soft spot for Sylvie Vartan's Donne-Moi Ton Amour, a cover of Spencer Davis Group's - Gimmie Summer Lovin.

non capisco

I flip back and forth on whether I prefer Jay Reatard's original of 'Oh, It's Such A Shame' or the Deerhunter cover. Tonight I'm going with Bradford and the boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edbCeSor1oU

Ferris

Mid-00's indie favourites Bright Eyes did a better cover of Devil Town than Daniel Johnston.

Maybe? I prefer it anyway.

Lordofthefiles