Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:18:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The End Slice

Started by bgmnts, May 19, 2020, 02:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

It goes by many names; knob, knobby, butt, crust, end-bit, but one thing I think we can all agree on, it's shit.

Why does it exist?
Does anyone here enjoy eating it?
Would anyone buy a loaf of bread with just open slices?

touchingcloth

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2020, 02:31:01 AM
It goes by many names; knob, knobby, butt, crust, end-bit, but one thing I think we can all agree on, it's shit.

No.

Does anyone here enjoy eating it?

Yes.

Would anyone buy a loaf of bread with just open slices?

No.

Dewt

I wasn't imagining bread until the last line of your post.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dewt on May 19, 2020, 02:33:32 AM
I wasn't imagining bread until the last line of your post.

Same. To begin with it put me in mind of the kittens/waspy Wimblewrong round.

"Too bready" is a culinary crime that can never be understated.
I just wait until my dad comes over. It's not a self sacrificial burnt toast Terri Hatcher mum-guilt thing, that's not his style. He's all over the ends. He'd prefer it if loafs were all ends.
I just can't imagine how much filling you'd have to use to balance the ratio when there are two ends involved.
I just leave him to it, but it never looks close to nearly enough in my eyes.
Maybe if you were having ham and beetroot (try it!), loads of beetroot, something really strong like that would help.

Cerys

If the bread is crusty, the ends are wonderful bonus crust.  If the bread isn't crusty, the ends are bread.  Essentially, get over it.

Abnormal Palm

Evening OP. Maybe you would prefer BIMBO bread which comes without any crusts whatsoever and has been available in the UK since 2017. Like all of these things, it rates itself 'A' for calcium.

'sin orillas' - no ears

Quote from: Cerys on May 19, 2020, 03:29:56 AM
If the bread is crusty, the ends are wonderful bonus crust.  If the bread isn't crusty, the ends are bread.  Essentially, get over it.

My sister says that you can't get pissed on beer.
Nathan, my dealer at school used to say "A fiver deal? What's the point?".
I put it to you that you're a breadhead, you've gone crust blind. You're in too deep.

bgmnts

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 19, 2020, 03:51:59 AM
Evening OP. Maybe you would prefer BIMBO bread which comes without any crusts whatsoever and has been available in the UK since 2017. Like all of these things, it rates itself 'A' for calcium.

'sin orillas' - no ears

Gamechanger!

Birdie

Make French Toast, sorry, Eggy Bread* with it.

*Yeah, I still remember mook.

kittens

end bit is great. please do us all a massive favour and grow a pair mate

BlodwynPig

Paedo bear finds new line of work

Cardenio I

That Bimbo shit is horrible. Eat your end piece like a fucking adult.

Dewt

Can we please call them crusts like reasonable people? End piece indeed. That's for meat.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 19, 2020, 03:51:59 AM

A few years ago - maybe about ten, since I'm old now and the years fly by - there was briefly a crustless loaf on sale that wasn't a loaf like that with the crusts cut off, but somehow baked in such a way that the crust didn't develop. Didn't last long.

no_offenc

My partner insists that it's called the heel (rather than the correct word, crust) and is disgusting. They routinely give me the old side-eye when I make the crusts into toast. Especially good for putting marmite on for some reason.

holyzombiejesus

Crusts are fine. Good for mopping up the dregs of beans from the pan. Even if you don't eat them, they protect the rest of the slices from going stale.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

It is called the heel of the bread. Crusts are the bit round the edges of each slice.

Sebastian Cobb

They are there to keep the rest of the bread from being exposed and going stale prematurely x which is why people who eat them before the end of the loaf should be turned into soylent green.

Cuellar

It's the arse bit. I'll eat it, I'm not particular.

Dewt

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 19, 2020, 09:23:41 AM
Crusts are fine. Good for mopping up the dregs of beans from the pan. Even if you don't eat them, they protect the rest of the slices from going stale.
Gonna let you into a little secret here: it's the same material

holyzombiejesus

Where have I made out it isn't?

Abnormal Palm

Can't wait for boffins to invent a French stick without all the horrid crunchy stuff round the edge. Just a big foam line for me please, boulanger.

Emma Raducanu

Crusts make decent toast and can absorb more butter without compromising it's structure than other slices.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 19, 2020, 09:28:33 AM
It is called the heel of the bread. Crusts are the bit round the edges of each slice.

This is correct.

And it's great. The tastiness of the heel varies depending on the brand - for example, the toasted heel of a Mother's Pride loaf is a wonderful thing.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Cerys on May 19, 2020, 03:29:56 AM

This. A fresh crusty crust, with a generous helping of butter and some tasty cheese is a treat.

shiftwork2

It's not worth starting a new thread but could I see if anyone is down to chat about reaching behind the outermost slice to obtain a protected slice before replacing the outermost slice?  I think it's a more widespread practice than people let on.  I'm going to judge you, just so you know.

Slices.

Cerys

steve98

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 19, 2020, 10:40:55 AM
This is correct.

And it's great. The tastiness of the heel varies depending on the brand - for example, the toasted heel of a Mother's Pride loaf is a wonderful thing.

Very true. In recent years I've reverted back to the bread of my youth: Mother's Pride Plain. And the best bit is the (previously-despised) heel. (Though occasionally they go a bitt OTT on the thickness (like 3cm+)).

shiftwork2