Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The End Slice

Started by bgmnts, May 19, 2020, 02:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Quote from: bgmnts on May 19, 2020, 02:31:01 AM
It goes by many names; knob, knobby, butt, crust, end-bit, but one thing I think we can all agree on, it's shit.

Is it fuck as like.

poodlefaker

Yeh but if the heel's 3cm, with some careful breadknife action  you've  got yourself a whole extra slice.

Cerys

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2020, 11:57:04 AM
Wicker Man for Cerys please.

Why?  It protects the inner slices from premature aging, and leaves you with two end pieces for the making of the perfect crunchy peanut butter sandwich when the rest of the loaf is all eaten.

the

The end bits are best for when you're having something 'on toast', whatever that may be. So that's my tip, if you're looking to have something 'on toast', use the end bits. This was brought to you by the On Toast Information Board

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2020, 11:26:33 AMIt's not worth starting a new thread but could I see if anyone is down to chat about reaching behind the outermost slice to obtain a protected slice before replacing the outermost slice?  I think it's a more widespread practice than people let on.

Behold

Dex Sawash

I was a crust dodger until I finally stopped rejecting the entire commercial concept and tried this

The texture is a bit close at the ends but there is total seed fuckdown. I really hope Dave is a forgivable old stoner and not a dead-inside pitchman.

buzby

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 19, 2020, 10:40:55 AM
This is correct.

And it's great. The tastiness of the heel varies depending on the brand - for example, the toasted heel of a Mother's Pride loaf is a wonderful thing.
No 'heel' in Liverpool (which is surprising, considering the Irish influence), but the thickest crust slices going are on the Warburtons/Tesco/One Stop/Jacks/Aldi Seeded Wholemeal Batch loaves (they are all the same thing, made by Warburtons, but the 'own brand' verisons are almost half the price). They are easily 2 slices/3-4cm thick at each end, and my favourite part of the loaf.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on May 19, 2020, 11:26:33 AM
It's not worth starting a new thread but could I see if anyone is down to chat about reaching behind the outermost slice to obtain a protected slice before replacing the outermost slice?  I think it's a more widespread practice than people let on.  I'm going to judge you, just so you know.
I do this too. On unsliced loaves I always start in taking slices from the middle as well and then put the two remaining sections back together in the bag, so they keep for longer and there's less wasteage.

The ends of a loaf always seem to be the best slices for soup dipping.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: buzby on May 19, 2020, 12:17:42 PM
On unsliced loaves I always start in taking slices from the middle as well and then put the two remaining sections back together in the bag, so they keep for longer and there's less wasteage.

I briefly lived in a houseshare where a bread thief would burst a sliced loaf bag in the middle and take slices out. Killing's too good, frankly.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 19, 2020, 12:17:18 PM
I was a crust dodger until I finally stopped rejecting the entire commercial concept and tried this

The texture is a bit close at the ends but there is total seed fuckdown. I really hope Dave is a forgivable old stoner and not a dead-inside pitchman.

I thought that was David Crosby of Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young) with a sort of George Foreman Grill, Barry Norman Pickled Onions thing.

But it would have gone against one of David Crosby's BrainyQuotes: 'I gave up bread, and I've lost a bunch of weight, which is very good because I'm diabetic.'

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 19, 2020, 09:28:33 AM
It is called the heel of the bread. Crusts are the bit round the edges of each slice.

In Glasgow, the big end slices are/were called the ootsiders. 'Outsiders' if you're posh.  Probably a dying term though, in the face of bag-yoo-ettes and other fancy foreign breid.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on May 19, 2020, 12:35:06 PM
I thought that was David Crosby of Crosby Stills and Nash (and Young) with a sort of George Foreman Grill, Barry Norman Pickled Onions thing.

But it would have gone against one of David Crosby's BrainyQuotes: 'I gave up bread, and I've lost a bunch of weight, which is very good because I'm diabetic.'

The real Dave of Dave's Killer Bread fame is an even more interesting Dave than David Crosby, mindboggling a concept though that might be.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2018/2/27/17055800/daves-killer-bread-dave-dahl-feature

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 19, 2020, 10:40:55 AM
This is correct.

And it's great. The tastiness of the heel varies depending on the brand - for example, the toasted heel of a Mother's Pride loaf is a wonderful thing.

Often you get a thin heel which if you toast well can be brittle like melba toast and is great for pate.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If the ends are the heels, does that mean the middle slice is the bread's genitals?

Abnormal Palm

Wish there were an inverted BIMBO version that was all crusts

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dex Sawash on May 19, 2020, 12:17:18 PM

i though that said Dave's HITLER bread at first

rack and peanut

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on May 19, 2020, 03:29:27 PM
Wish there were an inverted BIMBO version that was all crusts

Bimbo must be stashing his offcuts somewhere, the bastard bread bear cunt

seepage

I've heard he's best friends with creepy koala Kenny

Flatulent Fox

The crust is the best bit.
                                       I bin the bits in between until someone comes up with a solution.
Throw it at quacks and biibbly-boodel birds because they can't get enough of it.

Ahh

touchingcloth

Quote from: no_offenc on May 19, 2020, 09:20:37 AM
My partner insists that it's called the heel (rather than the correct word, crust) and is disgusting. They routinely give me the old side-eye when I make the crusts into toast. Especially good for putting marmite on for some reason.

It's what someone else said / they absorb more butter than other slices, so you end up with a slice saturated and pissing with hot butter and a smear of Marmite on the surface. A close run thing with the crumpet in the competition for best roasted good item with Marmite. 

https://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/04/15/warburtons-responds-social-media-launching-all-ends-loaf

Quotewe're pleased to have baked limited editions for our most discerning crust lovers on Facebook.

Imagine following warburtons on facebook.
Keeping up with all the latest bread goss.
Imagine being a discerning crust lover.

I was thinking about the crust at the open end of the bread, how everyone uses it like a lid, they lift it up to get at the good bread underneath and by the end of the loaf, so many dirty fat hands have been groping it, and one of you lot ends up eating that.
I just put them out for the birds and the rats to fight over. That's all they're good for.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 19, 2020, 03:55:53 PM
i though that said Dave's HITLER bread at first

Will never un-see that now

Gregory Torso

I call it the front door. When you take from the loaf, you must lock up after yourself. I also like broccoli, sprouts and yucky girls.

touchingcloth

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on May 19, 2020, 08:14:03 PM
I was thinking about the crust at the open end of the bread, how everyone uses it like a lid, they lift it up to get at the good bread underneath

That's not why I do it. I do it because I know that the crust is the only slice man enough to take repeated exposure to the open end of the bag, unlike those pussy double-flayed inner slices. Let the hard bastard on the end take the blows, then thank him for his service by putting him in the toaster. "Not now", I tell him when opening the bag and realising that his protection is still needed for the remaining wusses. "Two more rounds and then I'll take you in my mouth, my man."

Days when the first and last crust are the only two pieces remaining in the bag so you can fill your toaster with crust are the fucking dream.

Kryton

Quote from: Flatulent Fox on May 19, 2020, 05:30:47 PM
The crust is the best bit.
                                       I bin the bits in between until someone comes up with a solution.
Throw it at quacks and biibbly-boodel birds because they can't get enough of it.

Ahh

Obvious Loafer pun.

flotemysost

I've heard the old wives tale about how if you don't eat your crusts, your hair won't curl, but the level of vehement crust antipathy in this place is suggesting a likely correlation between crust consumption and hair growth in general.