Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cook'd and Bomb'd Mafia: Blodwyn's Island Day 4 - End O' Times

Started by BlodwynPig, May 19, 2020, 09:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 19, 2020, 07:38:20 PM
You WON BEST PLAYER AWARD, what more do you want?!

It's an honour and I appreciate it!
That said, I was flaky and weird. But my two star hotel survived and that's all that matters.

I was about to post that it was your 2 star hotel that got you in trouble, and then I remembered it was like that because I said so.

DrGreggles

I'm going to keep joining in until I can work out what's going on.

Ambient Sheep

I swore I'd never play this.

Then, having spent most of the last game being utterly convinced that gib, Delete and Jim Bob were putting on a superb display of high-stakes scum theatre throughout (silently cheering on DrGreggles when he finally came to the same conclusion), I was thinking "Jesus, perhaps I should play after all, I've got more clue than this bunch"...

...only to then be proved utterly wrong :-D and thinking "Yup, I was right first time, am never going to play this game."

But TNG... TNG... hmmm...

Careful, it makes you confront yourself quite a lot, but I think once you get over the shame and ego of being completly wrong and in the dark, you can come out of it a bit more lerned.

earl_sleek

That's a weird coincidence. I was thinking of running my own game, and Star Trek was top of my list of themes.

I probably should have a break from Mafia, but given the theme, I'm up for playing.

Like when I thought Gib was the cop and felt like I had betrayed him, an outed him out on the forum to save myself.

Rizla

I'd like to play again. Lots to learn. I think my problem was I brought too much baggage into the game from my real life as a sexy ex-wife of an alcoholic jersey-based detective policeman, next time I'll try and maintain the line between fact and fiction and get more into my assigned role.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on May 19, 2020, 08:23:18 PM
Careful, it makes you confront yourself quite a lot, but I think once you get over the shame and ego of being completly wrong and in the dark, you can come out of it a bit more lerned.

Yeah, I'm not sure whether I have the emotional chops to cope with it at the moment... things are still pretty raw after my Mum's death last year and my brothers being arseholes ever since (e.g. wanting to be paid for throwing away all my parents' books -- including many of my childhood favourites -- without even asking me and despite me saying "leave the books for me to go through").

The other problem is that my sleep pattern has been 5.10am to 1pm for years now, which would really hamper my chances, especially if I ended up being scum.

Reluctantly, I reckon it's still a "no"... but it's TNG tho... sigh...

oblivion

Quote from: earl_sleek on May 19, 2020, 08:23:31 PM
That's a weird coincidence. I was thinking of running my own game, and Star Trek was top of my list of themes.

I probably should have a break from Mafia, but given the theme, I'm up for playing.

The Star Trek universe is a great playground for mafia games. I've played in several ST themed games and I've designed several games around the various series. I'm going to need to percolate a bit on ST: Discovery before I'm ready to design a Discovery-themed game, but it will eventually happen.

So, feel very very free to design a game around Star Trek any time. The possibilities are endless!

BlodwynPig

Cue

BlodwynPig: "I've never watched SNG, what's this all about" comment and subsequent opprobrium

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 19, 2020, 12:39:41 PM
Ferris also left a clue very early on in the game - 100 quid if anyone spots it.

Coming out of my CaB break to post my tells

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 16, 2020, 04:06:06 PM
Game of the day, the Yankees (*spit*) come to town back in 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YfTeD5eKiVk

Halladay of course a terrific pitcher, but this was an absolute gem. It's great to watch a master in their prime go to work, I could watch him pitch all day - nice short windup and that tremendous cutter. A very smart player and courteous professional.

Roy Halladay's nickname

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 15, 2020, 03:25:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go with the lynching tbh - I see both sides, it's easy to be accused of joining a pile on but also a random lynching doesn't really get us anywhere.

Assuming we get unlucky and we bump off a townie it's bad, but like, as Cuellar points out our baddie finding odds get better? More of the bastards left to nail to the wall.

Do we think that's at least worth considering? Or is lynching still considered a bad idea on night one? Can't really decide atm.

First letter of every sentence.

Ok, back to my break!

Ambient Sheep

Hah, after Blodders offered the £100, I was going to go back through all Ferris' posts and do the first letter thing... too late.

And yeah, I won't be playing this new one: looks far too complicated for me.  Will watch, as ever, with interest.  It's a shame there can't (feasibly) be a secret spectators' board so us bystanders can chew the fat.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 19, 2020, 09:14:03 PM
Cue

BlodwynPig: "I've never watched SNG, what's this all about" comment and subsequent opprobrium

Depends whether the new GM throws threats of bans about for asking that question, saying the wrong words, or not fully engaging with the details of the scenario, doesn't it?

oblivion

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 19, 2020, 09:56:00 PM
Hah, after Blodders offered the £100, I was going to go back through all Ferris' posts and do the first letter thing... too late.

And yeah, I won't be playing this new one: looks far too complicated for me.  Will watch, as ever, with interest.  It's a shame there can't (feasibly) be a secret spectators' board so us bystanders can chew the fat.

Depends whether the new GM throws threats of bans about for asking that question, saying the wrong words, or not fully engaging with the details of the scenario, doesn't it?

I believe this should be feasible. I'll let you know!

Gib is co-GMing this game and I doubt he'd let me do anything TOO complicated.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: oblivion on May 20, 2020, 01:17:56 AMI believe this should be feasible. I'll let you know!

That'd be brilliant, but I guess the problem is that anyone who wanted to join it would have to PM you or Gib for the password, and then you'd have to trust that none of the town players would try to get in via sockpuppet to see our own analyses.  Then again you already trust town players not to secretly communicate, so... maybe!

Paul Calf

I'd really love to do it but the last one took so much out of me, especially in terms of time devoted to it but also in the realisation that I found the experience of deception so exhilarating, that I think I need to give it a rest for a while.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 20, 2020, 05:17:30 AMI'd really love to do it but the last one took so much out of me, especially in terms of time devoted to it.

Yeah, reading the scum boards has also made me realise the sheer level of dedication involved...

BlodwynPig

Better luck next time :)

BlodwynPig

*blank stare* I'm a mere pauper, sire.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 20, 2020, 05:27:37 AM
Yeah, reading the scum boards has also made me realise the sheer level of dedication involved...

I went a bit Glinner with it, but I wanted to win.

My advice to any potential scum reading this, is that you should mentally adopt a persona when you post - 'What would townie me do?'. And think about aspects of your persona that guide everything else you do.

A mate and I have had another forum in knots over the years by impersonating an exiled poster. Many of them have met this guy, yet they remain taken in that me and matey are 100% him. We've significantly deviated from his 'brand' over the years, knowing they are looking out for tells that he's snuck back on, so we've introduced things subtly over the years so that the 'brand' now is much more a thing of our creation than his. But we nickname each of our accounts with an underlying principal - 'straight bat': register and tweak tails immediately with no pretence of being undercover; 'the turn': an account that is deep undercover with some seeming gimmick, that does a full turn into a straight bat, but after a long time undercover.

The same principle guided this. I positioned myself as 'analyst' (not a million miles removed from how I'd play anyway), Paul was in a similar ball park, kittens was more of a 'wildcard' - could conceivably get away with pulling some high risk moves or act apparently earnestly and be believed, Rue was a little more of the quiet antagonist. He couldn't change up his play style, but he could conceivably snipe from the fringes.

Having said all this, I'm now also aware that this all being in open now kind of precludes me from playing a game and being a townie, as I'd draw shit early and often. But in this case, the underlying 'brand guidance' really helped. And, thinking about it, it might help townies too.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 19, 2020, 09:35:29 PM
Coming out of my CaB break to post my tells

Roy Halladay's nickname

First letter of every sentence.

Ok, back to my break!

I mentioned that I might do this if I was the copper in the aftermatch werewolf thread!

And in fact, if eagle eyed readers go back over MY first couple of posts in the Day 1 thread, you might find an interesting little message!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on May 21, 2020, 04:17:48 PM
I mentioned that I might do this if I was the copper in the aftermatch werewolf thread!

And in fact, if eagle eyed readers go back over MY first couple of posts in the Day 1 thread, you might find an interesting little message!

Should have banned you for that. None of that in Bergerac, friend