Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The utterly baffling world of wish and other Chinese shops

Started by MojoJojo, May 19, 2020, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marner and Me

Quote from: Camp Tramp on May 21, 2020, 09:46:19 AM
I had to get a refund for a clipper set recently.

I didn't get the clippers, I got earrings, at least that is what it said on the packet. When I opened it to taker photos, the earrings were not in there.

Instead I received a little sticky label with a picture of a parrot on it.
You selling it?

Pingers

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 21, 2020, 09:31:50 AM
I briefly worked on a weighbridge at a tip. One of the guys was on an 8 tin a night booze habit.

Did you ever try weighing him on the weighbridge?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pingers on May 21, 2020, 07:21:28 PM
Did you ever try weighing him on the weighbridge?

I never specifically asked them.

We sometimes had to bollock the bin men for jumping out of the van on the weigh in and staying in for the tare off (our system could use stored tares but the council contract insisted on tare off each time).

ElTwopo

Quote from: Camp Tramp on May 21, 2020, 09:46:19 AM
I had to get a refund for a clipper set recently.

I didn't get the clippers, I got earrings, at least that is what it said on the packet. When I opened it to taker photos, the earrings were not in there.

Instead I received a little sticky label with a picture of a parrot on it.

Well, you gotta be careful what you wish for

DiClassomo

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 10:49:01 PM
overexcited

He was gently called out about sinophobia in a time when it's a massive problem. Sit down.

Then it comes down to differing ideas about what's sinophobic, my bad.

mippy

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 19, 2020, 11:50:50 AM
So many cunts on youtube seem to have made a living buying cheap shit on Wish and cynically reviewing it not working.

"hur hur this $10 drone is terrible in even a mild breeze and the onboard camera is terrible too!"

Just monetising the consumerism of crap that's going straight into landfill, they might as well be reviewing things you find in christmas crackers.

Did we ever have an Ashens thread on here?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: mippy on May 24, 2020, 04:10:35 PM
Did we ever have an Ashens thread on here?

Not sure. I posted a link of him in some other herberts video as an example of pretty lazy content not too dissimilar to wish reviews really, they were revieweing putting weird stuff in a microwave toasty press in a promotional way and Barry jokingly replied with 'tw video has fucking ashens in it', so I assume he's well known in the gaming subs.

Dewt

Sebastian Cobb

I mentioned before but both him and Tom Scott (who I have no real dislike of) are like spilt glitter in your recommendations, you think you've got rid of them but you keep finding the odd bit forever.

Blue Jam

Bazooka

Problem is once your glans have gone in, they don't come back out.

peanutbutter

What's the upside of wish vs just searching eBay? In my experience it's just loads of stuff that's on eBay at a better price and it's easier to pick out a reliable seller too

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 24, 2020, 04:32:47 PM
I mentioned before but both him and Tom Scott (who I have no real dislike of) are like spilt glitter in your recommendations, you think you've got rid of them but you keep finding the odd bit forever.
Yeah I've it set up to never recommend his channel but I'll get random shit featuring him all the time

mobias

The benefit of eBay over Wish is that at least eBay are easier to deal with if you need to get your money back on something. I bought a pair of shoes from Wish but they were out of stock and they took about 2 months to tell me that. Then they kept on fobbing me off telling me stuff about waiting for them to come back into stock.

Eventually I asked them to return my money but even getting them to do that was a Herculean task of email correspondence. They really, seriously don't like giving you your money back once they've got it and put a lot of obstacles in the way so they don't have to. At least with eBay and Paypal there's a lot of fairly robust systems in place for dealing with transactions.

dissolute ocelot

They seem to have a lot of very cheap drones that I'm sure are controlled by the Chinese government and kill you in your sleep.

I once bought a cardigan from Wish. It was OK. But no better than random far-eastern eBay sellers. I wouldn't buy fetish wear from there, though, it would fall apart and you'd end up looking silly.

The Bumlord

They were selling flickknives and all sorts of illegal things on there a couple of years ago. Strange business.

The Mollusk

This shite is the epitome of fast fashion. At least if you're funding big brand capitalism your trainers are going to last a couple of years instead of a couple of months.

Wish has managed to nail the Western market by paying for insanely intrusive levels of advertising on the biggest social media platforms and pushing products which generate a profitable blend of intrigued reaction ranging from "Wow, that item is extremely cheap" to "Wow, what the fucking hell is that?" but when they arrive they're obviously cheap garbage or misrepresented in being way smaller than you thought or falling apart instantly or just not being the item you ordered at all.

We've all been guilty of mindlessly scrolling through their ads and having a bemused chuckle at the Yeezy Boosts with Colonel Gaddafi's face emblazoned on them or the sleep apnoea mask for your pet snake or the Charizard strap-on that spunks out slimy little eggs or the single-use adult nappies with a built-in bluetooth speaker but come on, what the fuck are you ever going to do with that stuff?

Sebastian Cobb

On the other hand, aliexpress is great and I've nearly got all the bits to make an induction heater for my dynavap. Including a little light up button with a trumpet on it.

JesusAndYourBush

Serious question: How do I get wish ads on my Facebook?

I've seen people on Facebook comment on the hilarity of the ads but I've never had them  I do get ads for other things, but I'd rather see weird ads!

imitationleather

Sebastian Cobb

What I find mad is there are content creators who seem to make money reviewing this cheap tat. Entire production chains paid for by the ad-money from westerners attention, they already know it's going to be shit but they watch it anyway. The machinery oiled with the blood of asian workers.

Shit Good Nose

A mate of mine bought some official Star Wars ice cube trays and moulds the christmas before last and they were something like £10 each for the trays and £5 each for the moulds.  Another one of our mates liked them and wanted them but not to the tune of £5 or £10, so he bought the same ones shortly after from Wish for £3 for the trays and £1.50 for the moulds.  He was fully expecting them to be adequate copies/knock-offs, but they were EXACTLY the same.  The only difference was the Wish ones didn't have the official Star Wars merchandise label on them. 

I've read similar about certain lingerie and fetish gear items as well.

So Wish must get at least some stuff from the same manufacturer as the proper/official product.

imitationleather

The factories that make the official stuff are probably doing off-the-books secret shifts they don't tell whoever they're making the stuff for about where they produce loads more items for the counterfeit market. It happens a lot.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on September 15, 2020, 12:34:10 PM
The factories that make the official stuff are probably doing off-the-books secret shifts they don't tell whoever they're making the stuff for about where they produce loads more items for the counterfeit market. It happens a lot.

Happens with trainers doesn't it? 'fake' Nikes but made from the same materials as the real deal, sewn together by the same workers.

Of course sometimes things follow a loose design and people can up/down spec individual parts. That happens a lot with cassette decks these days, given most people have stopped making them even the posher decks all use a cheap Tanashin design that was in boom boxes back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp105udgOjs

Dex Sawash

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteAt least if you're funding big brand capitalism your trainers are going to last a couple of years instead of a couple of months

Sorry what?!

Big brand trainers (if we're meaning standard sports/gym trainers) have been degraded year on year and are now the epitome of in built obsolescence for repeat purchase. They've cut corners everywhere. Yes they probably are manufactured more precisely but the materials have got worse and worse. Often these cuts appear in the false form of an advantage to the customer. It's 'great' now that the top of my shoes have this wonderful 'breathable' webbing rather than actual leather or even just any waterproof alternative for me in my wet Northern European temperate climate.

I haven't had a pair from any big name for 10 years, maybe more that has lasted me longer than 6 months.

This must be our inverse consumer issue as I can make my headphones last several years.

Men's shoes are a huge fucking con in general and it's mainly to the disadvantage of those on low incomes.

bgmnts

I've had the same £99 tv for about 8-10 years, hell even my original xbox lasted 18 years before the disc tray got stuck. Phones, however, last about a year, if that. Shite.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 15, 2020, 01:27:18 PM
Phones, however, last about a year, if that. Shite.

My nearly 20 year old Nokia still works (although I never use it).  But then those old Nokias were built like tanks and could withstand a bomb. 

thenoise

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach!
Men's shoes are a huge fucking con in general
Sorry what?!

Women's shoes are slightly less costly, true, but at least men's shoes very seldom cause permanent damage to the feet, as long as you buy the right size.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2020, 01:24:21 PM
Sorry what?!

Big brand trainers (if we're meaning standard sports/gym trainers) have been degraded year on year and are now the epitome of in built obsolescence for repeat purchase. They've cut corners everywhere. Yes they probably are manufactured more precisely but the materials have got worse and worse. Often these cuts appear in the false form of an advantage to the customer. It's 'great' now that the top of my shoes have this wonderful 'breathable' webbing rather than actual leather or even just any waterproof alternative for me in my wet Northern European temperate climate.

I haven't had a pair from any big name for 10 years, maybe more that has lasted me longer than 6 months.

This must be our inverse consumer issue as I can make my headphones last several years.

Men's shoes are a huge fucking con in general and it's mainly to the disadvantage of those on low incomes.

I seem to have had different experience. I have three pairs of trainers which all get used roughly the same amount: Nike Air Max 90, Vans high-tops and Hi-Tec Squash Classics. I've had them all for around 3 years and despite all of them having split slightly at the edge of the sole where the ball of the foot is (presumably because I crouch to pet cats I meet so often) they're all still going strong. I always wear the Nikes if I'm walking a long distance as they're really comfortable so they've definitely had a solid amount of usage. The Hi-Tecs were comparatively cheap at £27 but they're still really durable.

I will say this for mass-manufactured shoes, though: Doc Martens are fucking garbage. Growing up I'd heard a few people mention that they're highly comfortable and extremely durable, and if you took care of them they'd last you a decade or more. I bought a pair and despite wearing them far less frequently than my trainers, they lasted about two years before a fucking huge split spread right across the sole.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 15, 2020, 01:52:39 PM
I will say this for mass-manufactured shoes, though: Doc Martens are fucking garbage. Growing up I'd heard a few people mention that they're highly comfortable and extremely durable, and if you took care of them they'd last you a decade or more. I bought a pair and despite wearing them far less frequently than my trainers, they lasted about two years before a fucking huge split spread right across the sole.

Someone might need to turn on the buzby signal, but I'm pretty sure the DM "recipe" was changed at some point within the last 15-20 years, possibly around the same time they introduced their vegan range.  My sister still has her DMs from the late 80s/early 90s.  The soles need replacing, but other than that (and showing signs of age, obvs) they're still fine, and they've been through YEARS of heavy use.