Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The utterly baffling world of wish and other Chinese shops

Started by MojoJojo, May 19, 2020, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 15, 2020, 02:01:50 PM
they've been through YEARS of heavy use.

I bet they have, the dirty old boots. I bet they fucking have.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: thenoise on September 15, 2020, 01:52:16 PM
Sorry what?!

Women's shoes are slightly less costly, true, but at least men's shoes very seldom cause permanent damage to the feet, as long as you buy the right size.

Women's shoes aren't just high-heals?

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on September 15, 2020, 01:52:16 PM
Sorry what?!

Women's shoes are slightly less costly, true, but at least men's shoes very seldom cause permanent damage to the feet, as long as you buy the right size.

As someone who often buys men's clothes and trainers (my shoe size is 7, lucky me) I find they tend to be a bit more expensive but much more better-made and more practical. I guess manufacturers think us wimmin are happy with fast fashion or more willing to put up with it.

Anyway, I find Adidas trainers seem to last a good long time so they're my go-to brand now. New Balance seem pretty good too, not bought a new pair for a while but my last pair have only just been thrown out and they were from the long-defunct JJB Sport.

Sebastian Cobb

Places like Sports Direct often grey import designer trainers meant for Eastern Europe, which are shit and far less durable.

Blue Jam

I usually get my trainers from TK Maxx. They always have loads of Adidas and New Balance in.

Sebastian Cobb

I tend to just plug 'adidas' into hotukdeals. Often it's the actual adidas shop flogging stuff off the cheapest. Gazelle's are pretty much the closest thing you can get to wearing slippers outside without looking like you've escaped from a nursing home.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 15, 2020, 02:30:25 PM
As someone who often buys men's clothes and trainers (my shoe size is 7, lucky me)

Mate, trying to find women's shoes in size 9 is a bit of an oof experience

thugler

My shoes last for ages regardless of how cheap. It's not just about the quality of materials etc. the gait of the person makes a big difference. People who's shoes wear out really quickly tend to walk in a way where a particular spot or side gets more wear than the rest and so gets damaged. I've had plenty of cheap or lightweight trainers last for 4 years or so before they get damaged enough to stop wearing.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Got a pair of brown shoes from Oxfam for a tenner and they lasted about three times as long as any old foot crap I've ever bought from Primark or H and M or any of that lot. They might just have been unexpectedly good shoes but I never noticed anything falling off or coming loose, and when I did finally have to chuck them it wasn't even cause they broke (it was cause I spilled chemicals on them at work) so fuck knows how long they cold have gone on for. Usually that would be a sign to stop buying shoes from those places but unfortunately I am a idiot

Blue Jam

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 15, 2020, 02:55:36 PM
Mate, trying to find women's shoes in size 9 is a bit of an oof experience

I wasn't being sarcastic there! Being size 7 means I can buy both men's and women's trainers. I tend to prefer men's trainers anyway, they're often sleeker while the kind of chunky women's trainers which are designed to look really cute on size 3 feet just make my feet look massive.

Looking for women's shoes in size 9 can't be fun though. I don't wear high heels because I can't walk in them and I thankfully have a job where I wouldn't be allowed to wear them anyway.

QDRPHNC

I think it's kind of cool that we now have direct access to all this weird shit, although Wish just seems to be Alibaba with a more consumer-friendly bit of UX/UI on top, with prices a bit jacked up to cover the costs of all those Facebook ads.

You know what isn't cool though? People who bulk order, say, a billion tape recorders from a company on Wish, then set up a hipster-looking web site to con idiots.

Example - a "hand forged" lighter with a watch mechanism glued to it, for some reason. $99.

Or basically the same thing for $6.50.

Or the "It's OK" bluetooth cassette walkman vs this.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: thugler on September 15, 2020, 02:56:12 PM
My shoes last for ages regardless of how cheap. It's not just about the quality of materials etc. the gait of the person makes a big difference. People who's shoes wear out really quickly tend to walk in a way where a particular spot or side gets more wear than the rest and so gets damaged. I've had plenty of cheap or lightweight trainers last for 4 years or so before they get damaged enough to stop wearing.

Yeah, I guess I must walk a bit bow-legged or something as my sole wears unevenly and often it just wears out to the point it bursts and then my heel acts like a rudimentary pump sucking water up into my shoe.

Cold Meat Platter

The fuck did you just say about my gait shoecunt?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 15, 2020, 03:41:00 PM
I think it's kind of cool that we now have direct access to all this weird shit, although Wish just seems to be Alibaba with a more consumer-friendly bit of UX/UI on top, with prices a bit jacked up to cover the costs of all those Facebook ads.

You know what isn't cool though? People who bulk order, say, a billion tape recorders from a company on Wish, then set up a hipster-looking web site to con idiots.

Example - a "hand forged" lighter with a watch mechanism glued to it, for some reason. $99.

Or basically the same thing for $6.50.

Or the "It's OK" bluetooth cassette walkman vs this.
But they've stuck some crap on the front, surely that's worth $100? I've seen similar things on Etsy: you get terrible mass produced jewelry sold at 10 for £2 on eBay that miraculously reappears on a site offering "unique" products by "independent" makers for £20. Fair enough charging a bit for holding UK stock, but if you're charging 2000% for the privilege, fuck off.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
On the other hand, aliexpress is great and I've nearly got all the bits to make an induction heater for my dynavap. Including a little light up button with a trumpet on it.

Yes I.

Dex Sawash

Just found some seeds on Wish, wonder if they really send you something else like a telly.

Glebe

I ordered a cup with a cartoon Yoda on it and 'Coffee I need or kill you I will' ages ago. Just got it the other week.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 15, 2020, 03:28:27 PM
I wasn't being sarcastic there!

Oh no I didn't think you were! Sorry I came across that way. I've stuck with Docs since I was 17, especially as they feel distinctly unisex. I rather like heavy chunky platform boots but they raise me to about 6ft which is quite tall!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Glebe on September 15, 2020, 05:04:23 PM
I ordered a cup with a cartoon Yoda on it and 'Coffee I need or kill you I will' ages ago. Just got it the other week.

£2.99 Greggs

El Unicornio, mang

I'm thinking of ordering a bulletproof vest off Wish as they have them for about 15 and they can go into the hundreds usually. Just as a piece of kit for a video project. God help all the people buying them thinking they'll actually stop a bullet.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 15, 2020, 12:35:47 PM
Happens with trainers doesn't it? 'fake' Nikes but made from the same materials as the real deal, sewn together by the same workers.

Of course sometimes things follow a loose design and people can up/down spec individual parts. That happens a lot with cassette decks these days, given most people have stopped making them even the posher decks all use a cheap Tanashin design that was in boom boxes back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp105udgOjs

Do you sub to Technology Connections? Seems like the sort of thing you might enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TechnologyConnections

kalowski

Quote from: privatefriend on May 21, 2020, 02:16:15 AM
I like the strange and often surreal clothes you can find on Romwe, one of the main Chinese clothing resellers. Some examples here: www.instagram.com/romweird/
I'd suit a T-shirt that said "Sad & Fancy".

The Mollusk

Just remembered a mate of mine bought a taser from Wish for about a tenner. It definitely tased but it was more like getting an affectionate nibble from a kitten.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 16, 2020, 09:38:35 AM
Just remembered a mate of mine bought a taser from Wish for about a tenner. It definitely tased but it was more like getting an affectionate nibble from a kitten.

That's not good. Someone I grew up with ended up with a 2 year suspended sentence for possession of a stun gun, his brother was stationed in Gütersloh and bought one back as a gift. Turns out they're treated as firearms in the UK.

flotemysost

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 15, 2020, 02:01:50 PM
Someone might need to turn on the buzby signal, but I'm pretty sure the DM "recipe" was changed at some point within the last 15-20 years, possibly around the same time they introduced their vegan range.  My sister still has her DMs from the late 80s/early 90s.  The soles need replacing, but other than that (and showing signs of age, obvs) they're still fine, and they've been through YEARS of heavy use.

Yeah, I've heard quite a lot about this - as the comments on this Guardian letter testify.

Realised the other day that one of my DMs (which are vegan ones as it happens) has a massive split down the side. I wear them a lot, certainly from Autumn-Spring it's pretty much daily (and I walk a lot), but I've only had them a couple of years so it's not really great for what you shell out. They're basically a fashion item now aren't they, and I'm probably an idiot for having bought into it. All my other shoes are from charity shops at least, so hopefully both my financial and carbon output aren't too horrendous.

I think there's definitely truth to this as well. Had my walking and running gait analysed once at the unfortunately-named running retailer Sweat Shop, and they concluded that I basically run like a twat.

Zetetic

You can still buy British-made Solovairs, including vegan ones. The build quality seems fairly variable of those as well though, in my experience.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 16, 2020, 02:54:24 AM
I'm thinking of ordering a bulletproof vest off Wish as they have them for about 15 and they can go into the hundreds usually. Just as a piece of kit for a video project. God help all the people buying them thinking they'll actually stop a bullet.

Please don't give these drop-shipping bastards your money. Just look for one on Ebay that comes without the plates/bulletproof material, you'll find one at the same sort of price.

jobotic

I bought a pair of these half price about two years ago when John Lewis wear obviously stopping selling them. Wear them most days and although the soles have obviously worn a bit they look almost new. I love 'em.

I had a couple of pairs of Campers before and although the uppers remained almost as new the soles wore out really quickly. They were half price too, they're fucking expensive.