Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:54:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Eddy - Netters Drama about a Parisian Jazz Club.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, May 19, 2020, 01:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Has anyone else seen this? It was mentioned on Kermode and Mayo's BBC 4 thing about streaming and television and it intrigued me enough to give it a go. I've not got a feel for the storyline yet, the first episode is a set up and the second sort-of is two, following one of the characters estranged American daughters who is lashing out a bit.

But the aesthetic has already got me hooked, it's all on grainy 16mm (a Netflix first apparently) and has a John Cassevetes feel to the club shots. The music's great and all.

Being about Jazz in France, there's a lot of multinational musicians so a lot of it is in English with bits of French dialogue, sometimes conversations between characters flip between the two.

Too early for me to say it's great, but I think it's got a lot of potential.

niat

I started watching this after the Kermode and Mayo thing too, and finished it last night.

I really enjoyed it. It took me a couple of episodes to work out that each one is loosely following one character, with the main storyline weaving in and out. The fact the episode titles are character names should have given it away sooner.

I hope it gets another series. It got into a nice groove and created a strong atmosphere, especially in the club and around the unfashionable bits of Paris.

Sebastian Cobb

I finished this now and really enjoyed it. The storylines are a bit flat and soap-operaey but the characters make it work given they're all likeable and even a moody cynic like me enjoyed even the coming of age parts between Sim and Julie. Maja was great as well even if her role seemed to be holding everything together rather than having much of a strong story.

As you say I think it's got a certain groove to it. If it was a purely American or British series set in a jazz club I reckon I wouldn't be as in to it, but a bit like the microwave burgers in Lidl, it's got a certain continental charm to it.

I didn't always understand why two characters seemingly fluent in both English and French would alternate mid-conversation between both languages for seemingly no reason, it happened a lot with the police captain.