Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quatermass (1979)

Started by Ambient Sheep, May 19, 2020, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Saw it at the time aged ten.  Watched it again a few years ago.  The one thing I'd recalled from my original viewing was fighting between two groups of paramilitaries, which, on rewatch, was really only one scene incidental to the story only in showing how society had broken down.

Norton Canes

Quote from: A Hat Like That on May 28, 2020, 06:49:21 PM
Enjoyed this weeks - episode 2 - bleak ending

Completely forgot to watch it. Will have to dig out the DVD.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Blumf on May 20, 2020, 05:17:50 PM
Quatermass and the Pit is top notch. Personally I prefer the TV version, but the film is undeniably great.

Same. IIRC, the ending felt a bit rushed in the film.

Cheers for the headsup, Sheepy. I've not seen this series so it'll be good to finally catch up with it.

The extended scene in the TV studio has not dated well even with the comically large banana.

Blumf

As a society, we have, somehow, regressed away from Pan's People.

kaprisky

The reactionary comment seems to apply to episode three. The old people in the scrapyard complaining about how the young already have it all and want it all. Also check out the pictures of the monarchy on the walls. And that TV show being what was once called a "family show". And the army fella scoffing at the show.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kaprisky on June 03, 2020, 05:10:31 PM
And that TV show being what was once called a "family show".

A ridiculous show (what we saw of it), but it wouldn't have looked out of place in an episode of "O.T.T." 3 years later.

daf

Was Toyah a bit of stunt casting at the time? She seems to have done nothing so far!

Absorb the anus burn

The Titty Bumpity Show?

Now where have I heard that before?

Norton Canes

I mentioned it on the last page

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: daf on June 03, 2020, 10:01:16 PM
Was Toyah a bit of stunt casting at the time? She seems to have done nothing so far!

Yeah she has surprisingly high billing in the credits for an extra, which is what her part amounted to in #3 - being in the edge of the frame in a non-speaking role you'd have easily missed her if you weren't looking out for her.  I think she spoke a few lines in #2, can't remember if she gets more airtime in #4.

I didn't even notice she was in it, thank God.

I'm enjoying this but it is getting by on its atmosphere, setting and cast (apart from the American TV presenter/astronaut who's open shirted awfulness was a thing to behold) more than the script. Kneale as well as hating the youth didn't seem to like filling in plot-holes. How did Quatermass twig what was going on? He just seemed to know stuff, like there being a beacon underground, that it was a transport beam etc.

I did find it amusing to think that whenever he watched tele everything appeared to Kneale as the crap TV show. I enjoy the world building such as the old people living under cars, the hints at their meetings with gang members, the sketches of the wider world they live in but it doesn't really hold together as a piece. Perhaps doesn't help that it almost seems like an inverse of reality: the world is really is going to shit but the old are screwing the young.

kaprisky

I think the ending worked. Some top quality 'heart attack' acting from Mills there.

The old people stepping up to be scientists. The Planet People treating intellect and knowledge as a 'sin'. Kneale didn't appear to like the youth. Then you have an end scene that looks like something from the Watership Down film.

Custard

Up to the final episode, and have really enjoyed this. The Blu-ray picture quality is amazing, too. So clear and crisp

It's absolutely of it's time, but is lovely stuff