Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek: TNG Mafia Sign-up!

Started by oblivion, May 19, 2020, 09:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

You can't imagine how tempting it is having this dangled in front of me every morning.

Paul Calf

I stayed strong, mama! I'm off the muck!

Paul Calf

If anyone is desperately unhappy that they've missed a place and didn't play in the last couple of games, please let me know. but if I'm in, I'm not going to half-arse it.

pancreas

Ambient Sheep

Until he outs himself as a the Doc... and then what do you do?

Nah, fuck it, as he'd protect himself Night 1 anyway and he'd get night-killed on Night 2.  And he might well be lying.  Lynch him anyway..

Happy to bow out if someone has me on ignore lol.

what's the problem with the cake?

Kryton

oblivion

Players

• BlodwynPig
  • Spoon of Ploff
  • DrGreggles
  • earl_sleek
  • Delete Delete Delete
  • Rizla
  • Jim Bob
  • selectivememory
  • madhair60
  • Danger Man
  • Fishfinger
  • Cerys
  • Kryton
  • unicycly mcunicylceface
  • pancreas
  • This isnt witty sorry
  • Chairman Yang
  • Prison Biscuits
  • Flouncer
  • Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle
  • Paul Calf

Replacement Volunteers

• rue the polywhirl

That's 21! The game will start on Monday!

I'll post some information about how I'm going about the game design tomorrow. My goal is always to make the alignment assignments as random as can be. In this game, I'll design all 21 roles before randomly choosing which roles will be town or scum. Then I'll tweak and rebalance as needed.  And then I'll randomly assign players to roles.

I'm looking forward to this game, and to getting to know all of you better!

Kryton

BlodwynPig

Quote from: oblivion on May 22, 2020, 03:40:53 AM

I'm looking forward to this game, and to getting to know all of you better!

you really don't want to do that ;)

Thanks for doing this - it will be good to have a professional in charge unlike the last chancer

rue the polywhirl

I wasn't going to take part again, but I'm intrigued by all the new roles and how they might work. I don't know a thing about Star Trek, but hopefully that won't matter.

I also predict at least 3 flounces by the end of the second day.

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 22, 2020, 09:32:19 AM
Chance for Shiftwork2 to be back in the game?

Happy to tag out if Shiftwork wants my place!

I think he pulledo ut due to work, but made a joke on his exit.

Kryton

Ambient Sheep

Presumably at 6pm UK time (10am GM time) as per the OP.

weekender

I don't know what the fuck this is and I can't be arsed to read the rules about it, but count me in.

It's an anti-Dominic Cummings movement, right?

Or is it left?

oblivion

Quote from: Kryton on May 25, 2020, 04:11:52 PM
So is this on then?

It is on! I'm working on some finishing touches, and the game should go up in roughly 4 hours. Expect a role PM 1-2 hours before that.

oblivion

Quote from: weekender on May 25, 2020, 05:04:32 PM
I don't know what the fuck this is and I can't be arsed to read the rules about it, but count me in.

It's an anti-Dominic Cummings movement, right?

Or is it left?

The game is full right now. Let me know if you'd like to be a replace in the event someone has to drop out,  and I'll put you on the replacement list.

Kryton

oblivion

The Rules -- PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

1. Game setup

This will be a Themed Mafia timed game. Game Days will run for 28 hours commencing at 7:30 PM UK time and ending at 11:30 PM, and will be followed by a 20-hour Night phase. Night actions will be due at 6:30 PM, giving us an hour to process them before starting the next day phase.

The game is split into distinct Day and Night phases. In the Day, all players can interact with each other in the game thread, talking shit, asking questions, and trying to decide who should be lynched.

During the Night, game play stops and only players with night actions can go to work. There is no public game thread and players cannot communicate with others about the game unless their roles include the ability to communicate privately at night and provide a place for that communication to happen.

2. Teams

The GM (Game Master, i.e. me, assisted by gib) will randomly assign you a role and alignment in the game. If you are Enterprise, you don't know who else is on your team. If you are a Shapeshifter, you will know the other members of your team.

The aim of the game for Enterprise players is to find and root out all threats via lynch and nightkills (if there is a town player with a killing role)

The Shapeshifter scum team, on the other hand, need to outnumber the other players, or reach a point in the game where nothing can prevent that from happening.

In this game there are 21 players and as it is a semi-open setup. You know all the roles that may be in the game, but not a specific list of roles that are in the game.

You do not know how many players are on each team.

Lynched or night-killed players can no longer participate in the game.

3. Lynch voting

Lynching is by voting and as this a timed game, it is a First Past The Post majority vote.

You may vote to lynch player x simply by posting vote player x (bold black text).

You can remove your vote at any time up until Nightfall by posting unvote player x, or by voting for another player - vote player y.

Whichever player has attracted the most votes at the designated Nightfall time will be lynched.

If there is a tie, the GM will randomise the lynch.

4. Mayor voting

In this game, on Day 1, you can vote to elect a Mayor. The Mayor's lynch vote will be worth 1.5 votes.

You may vote to elect player a simply by posting vote player a (bold BLUE text).

You can remove your vote at any time up until Nightfall by posting unvote player a, or by voting for another player - vote player b.

Whichever player has attracted the most votes at the designated Nightfall time will be elected Mayor.

If there is a tie, the GM will randomise the result.

The Mayor remains in that role unless lynched or night-killed, after which a new Mayor can be elected on the next game day.

5. Night actions

The Shapeshifter team will choose another player to night-kill each night. There may be other killing roles in the game.

6. The GMs

are Gods. Their word is law. Their names are oblivion and gib.

You may not quote the words of the GM in the game thread or elsewhere, including the description of your role or any private messages. You can paraphrase. If you think your paraphrase may hew a little too close to the line, then CHECK WITH A GM FIRST. Questions are vastly preferable to Godkills.

The only exception to this rule is this: You may quote the rules.

These rules will also be posted in the Day 1 thread.

oblivion

I will begin sending out role PMs shortly. Once all the role pms have been sent, I'll start the Day 1 thread.

Please note, I bunged up the start time of this game, I'll add more time to day 1 to keep it on the proposed schedule.

weekender

Quote from: oblivion on May 25, 2020, 05:55:17 PM
The game is full right now. Let me know if you'd like to be a replace in the event someone has to drop out,  and I'll put you on the replacement list.

Fuck no, I don't actually want to read the rules or anything like that, or actually have to do anything.

I just came here to type vote weekender.

I look forward to your support.

Ambient Sheep

Hi oblivion and thanks.

Quote from: oblivion on May 25, 2020, 07:38:23 PMThe Shapeshifter scum team, on the other hand, need to outnumber the other players, or reach a point in the game where nothing can prevent that from happening.

In previous games, scum have only had to achieve equal numbers (parity) with town, rather than outnumber them.

Just checking that this is a deliberate change (presumably due to there being an odd number of players rather than even) and not a miswording. :-)

weekender

I'm not even playing and I hope this rule-clarifying-cunt dies

vote weekender

Ambient Sheep

u ok hun ?

I'm not playing either, fwiw.

oblivion

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 25, 2020, 08:25:21 PM
Hi oblivion and thanks.

In previous games, scum have only had to achieve equal numbers (parity) with town, rather than outnumber them.

Just checking that this is a deliberate change (presumably due to there being an odd number of players rather than even) and not a miswording. :-)

It's intentional. I find this phrasing less ambiguous than "achieve parity" although I've used both phrasings in previous games I've designed.

Sometimes, town specials can save the game during the night, even after parity has been reached. As an example that isn't relevant to this game but is illustrative, if the living players on the final game day included a town  Paranoid Gun Owner (one who will compulsively shoot and kill any player who targets them at night), the game might not be over even when parity is achieved.

If, say, 4 townies and 3 mafia are the final 7 players, and they lynch someone besides the PGO, then parity has been achieved. BUT, if scum target the PGO that night, then on the following game day, there will be 3 townies, including the PGO, and 2 mafia players.

These sorts of corner cases can come up in games where town have a killing role or protective role still in the game when parity is achieved. If the game ends with parity, scum win outright, even though town had a small chance of pulling their bacon out of the fire.