Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,479
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The lives of people a decade younger than most of us are nostalgia to gen Z

Started by Dewt, May 20, 2020, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

https://twitter.com/rebekahentralgo/status/1262733468217335810

BTW any discussion of "what's a zoomer ffs" is officially banned from this thread. It's Gen Z, roughly the people who around 18 years old now.

They think being young when the music of 2010 was riding high was a gift

touchingcloth

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

my god, the youngest generation of adults looks back fondly on the days of their childhood ~10 years ago when they didn't know the world was fucked and they have no future

no other generation has ever done such a thing

Everyone between the ages of 10 and 49 is a Millenial. Not sure what these other terms mean.

Dewt

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 20, 2020, 01:07:01 AM
my god, the youngest generation of adults looks back fondly on the days of their childhood ~10 years ago when they didn't know the world was fucked and they have no future

no other generation has ever done such a thing
Did you play nice with the other children when you were young or did their games confuse you

chveik

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 01:08:50 AM
Did you play nice with the other children when you were young or did their games confuse you

mate

what's your point exactly?

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 01:08:50 AM
oh I'm sorry I didn't realise that agreeing with you was mandatory for participating in this thread

Dewt

"This tastes nic..."
"HAH have you never enjoyed food before? Do you think you're the first person to ever experience deliciousness? Oh REALLY original(!)

I'm so lonely"

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 01:10:48 AM
"This tastes nic..."
"HAH have you never enjoyed food before? Do you think you're the first person to ever experience deliciousness? Oh REALLY original(!)

I'm so lonely"
that doesn't make any sense as an analogy

Dewt

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 20, 2020, 01:12:11 AM
that doesn't make any sense as an analogy
It's a simile. As in "this is similar to the kind of cunt you are".

Quote from: Dewt on May 20, 2020, 01:13:53 AM
It's a simile. As in "this is similar to the kind of cunt you are".
hahaha fuck you, you thin-skinned little shitbag

chveik

I still think Oracular Spectular is a great album (we were behind the trends in the rural hellhole I lived in). I have no recollection of the other kind of stuff people used to play at parties. it was pretty bleak but at least I wasn't obsessed by the end times all the time.

I'm not at all surprised that young adults/Gen Z/whatever are nostalgic for the 2010s. I'm nearly 40 and I'm nostalgic for the 80s. That's a natural thing, I feel, wanting to hearken back to the "simpler times" when you were a stupid kid and didn't know anything. I mean, fucking boomers write shit poetry about that very thing. Maybe the confusion we older people feel has to do with the 00s and 10s blending together for us. They certainly do for me. I remember where I was and what I was doing but as far as a handle on the overall culture? Nope.

chveik

Captain Z

Remember waiting 2 hours to download a movie, and even then it was only in 720p.

rue the polywhirl

I'm nostalgic for the times when tiktok was just a song by Ke$ha. I thought I was with it but this tiktok app seems weird and scary to me.

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on May 20, 2020, 01:26:06 AM
I'm not at all surprised that young adults/Gen Z/whatever are nostalgic for the 2010s. I'm nearly 40 and I'm nostalgic for the 80s. That's a natural thing, I feel, wanting to hearken back to the "simpler times" when you were a stupid kid and didn't know anything. I mean, fucking boomers write shit poetry about that very thing. Maybe the confusion we older people feel has to do with the 00s and 10s blending together for us. They certainly do for me. I remember where I was and what I was doing but as far as a handle on the overall culture? Nope.

I think that "decade-defined" periods of culture are dead now, they were only.going to last so long before things would stagnate or regurgitate. Theres still amazing music and film coming out but it isnt so easy to define as a specific 00s or 10s feel...and often theyve become such a pastiche of a past style that it's just becomes the norm (look at the whole 80s-inspired music and tv show thing that's been going on)

I do genuinely wonder what the hell pop culture will look like when my nieces are grown up and I'm a confused old man...will covers bands still be playing Queen and Beatles songs on a Friday night? How far can music really evolve? It's already quite derivative and eating its past...from like the 20s to now is a relatively short space of time wherein we tore through many styles and genres, always getting bored and looking for an exciting new sound...there will definitely be a time of stagnation in music and film maybe in another 30 years. Maybe I'm talking shit but it genuinely makes me anxious

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hand Solo

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on May 20, 2020, 02:17:54 AM
I%u2019m nostalgic for the times when tiktok was just a song by Ke$ha. I thought I was with it but this tiktok app seems weird and scary to me.

You had to wind up TikTok back in my day, now it winds you up instead!

Gregory Torso

My sister's kids, who are aged 9 and 11, experience everything through 10 second long TikTok videos. They'll sing along to something on the radio, but they only know a 10 second window of it, and can't tell you who sings it or what it's called. They have so much at their disposal in the way of films, tv programmes and songs, that I don't think they engage with anything for more than about that 10 second window, it's all about that, the whip crack of the synapse, the sugar puff in the eye.

I used to have a video tape of Papillon (1973) that I wore down into static when I was five trying to give myself a butterfly tatoo with a biro and learn prison French. Kids these days are never going to stand at the top of the stairs and scream "Your five years in solitary confinement are at an end. You've paid part of your debt to France." before throwing themselves down them, causing permanent shoulder displacement. They don't stick with things, they don't put in the work. They watch a clip, move on; they quote lines from the remake of Papillon (2017) which is chinese spyware-addled open mouth escalator handrail lickingly fucking STUPID. They think James Corden is a funny guy who done the voice of the mouse, who done the voice of the rabbit, leave him alone. They wish they lived in the Friends times. They spend hours firing cyber chicken goujouns at each other whilst refusing to eat anything that doesn't have a removable lid on top of it.

No one even knows what generation we're on now. No one can define what a boomer is, or a milennium falcon, or whatever shit buzz word has just left the hive mind on its way to sting your psyche repeatedly until you let it burrow into your scalp and become part of your lexicon. You can't use Twitter, you can't not use Twitter. They call them 'bin lorries' now, Captain Tom. I don't even know how to finish this post or what Minecraft is (it's like paedo hunting underground where everything is a featureless block of pixels, yeah?), I have forgotten my point so just, yeah. Take that, little hoppers.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Misspent Boners on May 20, 2020, 07:48:06 AM
I think that "decade-defined" periods of culture are dead now, they were only.going to last so long before things would stagnate or regurgitate. Theres still amazing music and film coming out but it isnt so easy to define as a specific 00s or 10s feel...and often theyve become such a pastiche of a past style that it's just becomes the norm (look at the whole 80s-inspired music and tv show thing that's been going on)

But the nostalgia/pastiche of earlier decades thing was happening at least as far back as the 70s with Happy Days and Grease and American Graffiti and Showaddywaddy and Glam. I definitely think the distinctions between decades were sharper in the past, where if you watch old Top of the Pops or whatever lapels will shrink to half their size or flares will disappear entirely seemingly in the space of weeks. Things still change of course, but the pace of change means that the arbitrary decades can't quite so cleanly be mapped on top (although these were always clumsy and dishonest - the popular "60s" didn't start till what, '64?) But it's still a somewhat interesting exercise to compare decades, and I think you can see a fair bit of difference between the 2000s and 2010s - most obviously the latter being a decade dominated by the smartphone, which when you consider the impact on cultural production and consumption is as big a change as has ever been seen.

Quote from: Hand Solo on May 20, 2020, 08:27:22 AM
You had to wind up TikTok back in my day, now it winds you up instead!

With aid of new technologies Captain Tom Moore can "Live for centuries", reports say.

peanutbutter

I really struggle with tiktok, it's like vine except everything has to be a musical?

Is it somehow multipurpose? Like, this is also how people get introduced to new music now too? Do people message via tiktok videos?

Dewt

It's vine except it's far more focused around you doing your own version of a song or lip syncing to something than creating original content. Not that there isn't good original content on there

ajsmith2

Let's hope Michelle Obama can ride this 2010s nostalgia wave to the polls in 2024, eh guys?

The real misery will be when nostalgia for the early days of the alt right kicks in, likely to be starting in the middle of this decade and exacerbated by whenever Trump is finally unblocked from office. Chesney Hawkes/Timmy Mallett style university Freshers weeks tours by an aging Milo Yianolongerfamous doing a cuddlier version of his old shtick to  freshmen women and people feigning ironic mock outrage to play along beckons.

Retinend

I was thinking about this the other day. The kind of resources available influence whatever popular art gets made. Without the vinyl record you wouldn't have had the Beatles. Without the TV you wouldn't have had music videos. Without Photoshop, fonts and googled images being easily stolen you wouldn't have had memes.

Now it's the turn of video editing. Never has it been easier to steal copyrighted material and get away with editing it into some new package with minimal additions.

edit: a bit long
edit2: the OP link is something different to what I was thinking about actually. I was more thinking about the YouTube trend of doing commentary on old shite à la "The Nostalgia Critic" which, as a trend, seems to be treating more and more recent media.

Thursday

I don't think nostalgia for the past was hitting me as early as 18, I was still riding the high of "Thank fuck I don't have to be in secondary school anymore"

the

Pls dictate the minimum age for being allowed to consider the past