Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The lives of people a decade younger than most of us are nostalgia to gen Z

Started by Dewt, May 20, 2020, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Quote from: the on May 20, 2020, 11:10:27 AM
Pls dictate the minimum age for being allowed to consider the past

I say 20, you need to have lived 2 decades to start looking back fondly on past decades.

imitationleather

I'm not even taking the piss, I was heavily pining for the '88-'92 rave scene when I was fifteen years old in 2002.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

The turn of Millenium probably signaled the switch over to technology as an end in itself, and politics took over to fill the niche that art and music usually occupied - the Alt-Right and Extinction Rebellion are probably the only two youth movements you can point to as being genuinely new and confusing for the generations that came before. Other than that it's difficult to think of anything. The days of sub-cultures consuming specific types of music and art are long gone. Why we would you do that anyway, given that you can call up any genre or period style on your phone in a matter of seconds? Curating intense little political ideologies is the way to go.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: imitationleather on May 20, 2020, 11:19:37 AM
I'm not even taking the piss, I was heavily pining for the '88-'92 rave scene when I was fifteen years old in 2002.

I can remember going to a Helter Skelter rave in '99 which had an 'Old Skool' room playing all the yesteryear bleeps and blips. How quickly we repackage the past.

Danger Man

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 20, 2020, 11:25:48 AM
the Alt-Right and Extinction Rebellion are probably the only two youth movements you can point to as being genuinely new and confusing for the generations that came before.

Hipsters?

Sony Walkman Prophecies

True. I guess you could include hipsters as well. But hipsterism is tellingly vague (no one refers to themselves as "hipsters") and it doesn't seem to track with any particular belief or ideal. If you wanted to be reductive, you could say it's no more than beards and sleeve tattoos.

the

Quote from: Thursday on May 20, 2020, 11:16:03 AMI say 20, you need to have lived 2 decades to start looking back fondly on past decades.

Forgot to warn that any answer will make you look like a wand

Childhood is filled with noticing how certain things happened but don't anymore, or something changed. The notion that you're too young to pass comment on this is dick²

What's an anniversary if it's not a milestone of the time since something significant happened. A lower number doesn't make the commemoration insignificant.

And rave moved fast.

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 20, 2020, 11:25:48 AMthe Alt-Right and Extinction Rebellion are probably the only two youth movements you can point to as being genuinely new
Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 20, 2020, 11:27:44 AMHow quickly we repackage the past.

El Unicornio, mang

I was renting a room a few years ago and the guy's 12 year old kid started looking really pensive one morning during breakfast and said it was a song on the radio (Two Door Cinema Club or something) making him nostalgic for 2 years before and those "simpler times" and asked me - a man approaching 40 at the time - if I "knew that feeling".

Also, all those nostalgia shows that cropped up in the 2000s. I love the 70s/80s was fine, I love the 90s passable but then they started doing I love the 00s even though we were in the 00s.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: the on May 20, 2020, 11:10:27 AM
Pls dictate the minimum age for being allowed to consider the past

Oh can we have one of those fights about people claiming to remember stuff from when they were 2 or 3?

spaghetamine

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 20, 2020, 11:27:44 AM
I can remember going to a Helter Skelter rave in '99 which had an 'Old Skool' room playing all the yesteryear bleeps and blips. How quickly we repackage the past.

I think the old skool rooms at raves started popping up in about 95/96, about the same time as the jungle/happy hardcore split.

I was 16 in '88 and was out in clubs 4 or 5 nights a week for the next five years, everyone was living in the moment and each progression in music was embraced wholeheartedly. I don't think I started thinking that the steam had run out of the music (for me) until the turn of the millennium. Everything after dubstep seems like a rehash of sorts of what had come before, still some amazing music being made to this day though - as good as 88-00.

bgmnts

Dewt has genuinely gone a bit mental since the release of Final Fantasy VII remake.

I don't really remember anything that happened between 2010 and 2016. Really dull time.

Johnny Yesno

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on May 20, 2020, 11:27:44 AM

And UK Garage is old skool now.

chveik

massive bereavement

My eldest has expressed nostalgic tendencies for V-smile games recently.

I think I can pinpoint the exact moment I first felt nostalgic. I was watching a pop quiz show on ITV when I was about 6, it was the "pick a year" section. The contestant went for 1972, up popped a picture of a long haired band of blokes who looked terribly menacing compared to the likes of Brotherhood of Man or Guys and Dolls. It was a picture of a band called Argent. In that moment I yearned for the days of Argent, transported back to a time when I couldn't yet properly form a sentence or wipe my own arse, but a time when music actually meant something....."Could be tomorrow, could be today, there's gonna be - a tragedy". Must have been another 8 years before anybody bothered to sing about Nuclear War again.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: chveik on May 20, 2020, 04:49:41 PM
that's not the point... you don't really choose to feel nostalgic

I don't need nostalgia because I have sufficient contemporary interests and a vision of what I hope the future will be. I think I chose those, but who knows? That's not to say there aren't people I miss deeply, but I don't dream of being back there in that time with them.

idunnosomename

there's an advert for tiktok where they have a bunch of twenty-somethings in a marketing group room to film some promo content and the first line is "oh lewis capaldi's on here!"

tik tok is pure fucking grave

flotemysost

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 20, 2020, 11:37:11 AM
I was renting a room a few years ago and the guy's 12 year old kid started looking really pensive one morning during breakfast and said it was a song on the radio (Two Door Cinema Club or something) making him nostalgic for 2 years before and those "simpler times" and asked me - a man approaching 40 at the time - if I "knew that feeling".

This is quite sweet. Although I probably would have punched the kid.

I find it interesting seeing the cycles that clothing/fashion go around in, and how that's been massively enabled/accelerated by the advent of cheap 'fast fashion' and online shopping. I'm no expert but it seems like the whole '90s/Y2K nostalgia' look has been trendy for ages now - grungy stuff, trainers and sportswear, stretchy velvet, baggy tie-dye t-shirts, etc.

I was fairly young when that stuff was fashionable the first time around, but it's still kind of weird seeing people wearing it now who weren't even a Robbie Williams-soundtracked midnight millennium shag when it was originally cool.

massive bereavement

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on May 20, 2020, 07:49:27 PM
I don't need nostalgia because I have sufficient contemporary interests and a vision of what I hope the future will be. I think I chose those, but who knows? That's not to say there aren't people I miss deeply, but I don't dream of being back there in that time with them.

*huge wistful sigh and great big Rik Mayall 'Bottom' era style smile*
Oh I remember the days when I thought exactly like you do. Great days Eddie, great days.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Lately I don't feel nostalgia so much as the creeping ravages of age and time

Doomy Dwyer

I wish I could be more like Johnny with his vision for a future and tolerance for the contemporary world. I've never believed in the future, personally, and it gives me absolutely no pleasure to know that I'm probably wise not to.

I loathe and detest the twenty-first century. I wasn't particularly keen on the preceding twenty, either. I know that there are loads before them, too, but that ain't none of my damn  business. The eighteenth and nineteenth have their moments, don't get me wrong, but the shit heavily outweighs the sugar. When it all comes down to it, I'm a twentieth century type of guy and I think it's a good century, on the whole. I'm glad I caught the end of it. A lot of people will be itching to pull me up here and mention all the world wars and the holocaust but I just see those as the logical and inevitable end point to a brutal, spoiled and cynical species. For me, everything after WWII was a wake, a last hurrah, a drunken fuck on a Saturday night. The twenty-first century is just some fools mess running down your leg.

The differences between the twentieth and the twenty-first centuries could not be more pronounced and are best illustrated by the evolution of the Soda Stream. Originally created in 1903 by W&A Gilby, ltd as a device for aerating water commercially this bit doesn't really fit into my theory but when you get to the late seventies/early eighties we're literally getting busy with the fizzy. Look at this advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFeV0CbvHG8

I didn't realise that it had that bloke with the broken nose in it who usually played an amusing working class fellow - either an inept removal man or shifty shop steward - often while wearing one of those brown overall coat type things. But what an advert that is, as close to true art as advertising could ever get. Pure tooth rotting abandon in every frame. Not a single shit given about consequence or meaning. Just fizzy, sweet, unwholesome sticky pleasure that turned you simple. Some people are even using it to make soda for their enormous whiskies. Fucking get it down you, my son. My mate used to just drink the syrup neat, didn't give a bollocks. He's dead now, of course. They knew, those people, that the best was gone. So fuck it. Might as well inject it into your eyeballs.

My wife (she's not legally my wife but I've never settled on an acceptable term of reference to describe our relationship) just bought a Soda Stream. Did she buy it in order to get busy with the fizzy and od on e numbers in a glorious and righteous aerated auto-da-fe? No. She bought it because it produces carbonated water sustainably. Jesus. Who fucking cares anymore? Contemporary Soda Stream is a crystal clear reflection of where we find ourselves today. It looks like the monolith in 2001. It's not here to enjoy itself, the twenty-first century Soda stream. It's not fun. It doesn't have those funky chunky seventies letters on it. It's a sleek, grudgeful and functional unit, as emblematic of its time as the old one was. But time has changed. It's not playtime any more. The bell's gone and it's back to class. But what's this? Your teacher is drunk and crying and there aren't any books. The greatest century in the history of mankind is over and we have failed. We have failed, we are the children of failures and our children should kill us all before doing the honorable thing and turning the gun upon themselves. Everyone's a narc, now. Everyone's a grifter. Everyone's selling something. We're dancing in the abattoir to the music of our own screaming.

Anyone up for a CaB zoom meet? 

ZoyzaSorris

Quote from: imitationleather on May 20, 2020, 11:19:37 AM
I was heavily pining for the 92 rave scene when I was fifteen years old in 93!

massive bereavement

I refuse to budge from the 1970s because it was the only decade of my life in which I was not expected to go out and look for a job. I'll be well into everything 2040s when that decade comes along for the exact same reason.

Quote from: Cardenio I on May 20, 2020, 09:30:07 AM
But the nostalgia/pastiche of earlier decades thing was happening at least as far back as the 70s with Happy Days and Grease and American Graffiti and Showaddywaddy and Glam.

Well before that, the Teddy Boys of the 1950s adopted fashions and hairstyles from the Edwardian era 40 to 50 years earlier.

Not sure whether anything comparable happened earlier than this - more than likely, but can't think of anything obvious.

massive bereavement

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 20, 2020, 11:50:09 PM
Well before that, the Teddy Boys of the 1950s adopted fashions and hairstyles from the Edwardian era 40 to 50 years earlier.

Not sure whether anything comparable happened earlier than this - more than likely, but can't think of anything obvious.

Before the 1950s people were all into that bloke from biblical times. Hardcore nostalgia.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on May 20, 2020, 11:15:48 PM
I wish I could be more like Johnny with his vision for a future and tolerance for the contemporary world.

Ha, I wouldn't go that far.

I've always been dissatisfied with the contemporary world and imagined how things might be more interesting in the future. Thankfully, I've usually been able to find cultural stuff with a similar agenda to take the edge off, and to me that has been preferable to romanticising a past in which I know I felt the same.

On the other hand, it might be that I'm just blindly immersed in a nostalgia for the futurism of the 1970s.

Hey, Punk!

For a long time I've found this post-war obsession with youth  to be a tad boring. It's a fixation on something that never was, as we supposedly dont realise the pleasure in the moment, only pine for it in our dotage. Besides the privilege of being free of aches and pains, I can't imagine I'll be fixated on my youth as I age.

My time in school and college was boring and I only really started to enjoy myself when I started teaching, so who knows? Maybe these will be the days I can't forget and fixate on. Doubt it though.

Tony Tony Tony

This bloke...

wrote in nineteen fifty feckin three "The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there".

Well in my country I did what Morrisey famously claimed he was up to in his teen years and spent all my days in my bedroom furiously wanking improving my mind.

I have no real desire to pine over the past (except for music of the Smiths 'natch) preferring to take the "Non, je ne regrette rien" line like that Frog woman did.

In the words of the mighty Noddy Holder, "Look to the future now, it's only just begun"

thenoise

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on May 20, 2020, 11:50:09 PM

There was the cod medieval thing in Victorian times.